So Im looking at getting a new amp, i currently have a marshall mg100dfx (the old version) and I'm hoping to get a tube amp. I don't want something too small in wattage, because i want to be able to gig with it. I've really been interested in the Fender Supersonic, but i'm not sure it has enough gain. Ive also looked at the Egnater Renegade for the versatility and the 6L6 - EL34 balance knob, but from the videos ive watched, it runs into the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Hey man, i brought back my tiny terror cause it didn't have enough distortion. I was there playing some marshalls and mesa boogies when a guy that worked there came up and asked what i played and i said hard rock n metal, stuff like that. He set me up to the fender hot rod deluxe and from the get go i had my doubts. I was blown away with it though. I put a distortion pedal on it and had all the gain i could ask for, without it sounding like a shitty distortion pedal. I say you check em out man. It can handle most things. i was always iffy about distortion pedals, but there not too shabby man, maybe it'll fix your problem
I saw Cracker back in May and their Guitarist was using a Supersonic, and he got plenty of dirt when he needed it. I dunno what kinda sound you are going for but the Supersonic sounded incredible, and he said it was just stock.

James
unless you are playing metal, i have a hard time imagining that the renegade wouldn't have enough gain for you. and if you are playing metal, you should be looking at different amps.

i have turned the gain all the way up on mine, and it has too much for me for what i use that amp for (classic marshally OD). even if you need more, you could boost it with an OD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 19, 2010,
I was at GC the other day and played a Renegade. The thing had really great gain. I can imagine a Distortion pedal would make it even better for you.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Here's an idea of a "heavier" song played with a Supersonic: http://vimeo.com/8683674

Both guitarists used Supersonic heads into Marshall 1960AX cabs. I think one of them had a TS9 but otherwise no pedals.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
MatrixClaw, thanks for the videos, you were right. my only question now is if i'm going to sound as heavy as he did in standard tuning.

MortifiedLizard, how positive are you that they're using supersonics? i saw a 6505(possibly plus), but no supersonic heads.

and I wouldn't say i play metal, but there is some pretty heavy influences, and i'll need almost as much gain at some points. but i also like my cleans, so i want an amp that does both fairly well.
100% positive. What you might have seen as a 6505 was the bass amp... but the guitarists both have Supersonics sitting vertically right next to the Marshall cabs. Here's pics of the band rehearsing and you can see them pretty clearly: http://twitpic.com/1vxgju http://twitpic.com/13hbgk
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I have a Supersonic, it's a great amp but the gain (there is plenty) is too loose for me. Good for some styles but I don't really think it works well for metal or even hard rock. I never use the burn channel, and the clean channel only has Vol, bass, treble. The effects loop is good though, and it takes pedals well. If you get the amp, I would recommend using a distortion pedal with it. (so why pay for the burn channel)

I also don't like the switches in the back and the cheap cardboard grill 'protecting' the tubes.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jul 22, 2010,
so i tried out the renegade with a DS-1 (because i like the sound of that pedal) and it sounded like absolute shit. how do i know what pedal will sound good with what amp? is it just one long process of trial and error?
Quote by wonkothesane
so i tried out the renegade with a DS-1 (because i like the sound of that pedal) and it sounded like absolute shit. how do i know what pedal will sound good with what amp? is it just one long process of trial and error?

DS-1 sounds bad unless it's modded, so I can see where you go that idea.

You need a good overdrive pedal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
DS-1 sounds bad unless it's modded, so I can see where you go that idea.

You need a good overdrive pedal.

Yeah, an overdrive pedal REALLY opens up the Renegade. I was originally thinking I was going to need to get a Dual Rec to get the kind of gain I need, but I played a Renegade with a Tubescreamer...wow.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
"wonders just how badass the Armageddon will be in comparison to the only vid when it comes out"

DAMN YOU EGNATER STRAIGHT TO HELL!!! lol
so then what would you describe as a good overdrive pedal?

also, i've seen mods of the DS-1 that sound better than the original, but i can't discern why. what do they do to it?
Quote by Sputnik1
"wonders just how badass the Armageddon will be in comparison to the only vid when it comes out"

DAMN YOU EGNATER STRAIGHT TO HELL!!! lol

I sort of question egnater when it comes to high gain.based on interviews about his other amps his idea of metal is turning mids to 0 and gain to 10, making it sound like absolute sh$#. He did this in ademonstration with the tweaker and the armageddon has some strange mid control section which I assume he wants people to scoop the mids with.not saying he isn't great or knowledgeable, but he sounds a bit out of the loop with what high gainers need
Quote by patriotplayer90
I sort of question egnater when it comes to high gain.based on interviews about his other amps his idea of metal is turning mids to 0 and gain to 10, making it sound like absolute sh$#. He did this in ademonstration with the tweaker and the armageddon has some strange mid control section which I assume he wants people to scoop the mids with.not saying he isn't great or knowledgeable, but he sounds a bit out of the loop with what high gainers need

Sorry to step on your opinion here...but in the video for the Egnater Armageddon from NAMM, Bruce specifically states "...not totally scooped out unless you want it."

Also, the special Mid Control you're talking about works both ways...it can be set as a Mid Scoop, or as a Mid Boost.

I think the Armageddon actually looks like a VERY cool Metal amp...built in ISP decimator? Midi Control (something I've been wanting for Egnater amps for a while now)? Half-power Switch? Sign me up!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
DS-1's are great unmodded when used as a fuzz pedal on a tube clean channel (*cough*KurtCobain*cough*)... that's about it though.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
can they be modded to blend well with an amps distortion? because i really like the tone a DS-1 has, but when i tried it with the renegade, it was like, just a hum on that pitch, almost like it was distorting the signal exponentially.
Quote by wonkothesane
can they be modded to blend well with an amps distortion? because i really like the tone a DS-1 has, but when i tried it with the renegade, it was like, just a hum on that pitch, almost like it was distorting the signal exponentially.

quit bumping old threads nub.

i'd take the super just for the cleans, the drive ain't bad either. and i'm an egnater fanboi.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
also, can i get a list of good overdrive pedals? i know the TS9 is one of them, are there any others? i've looked into the tc electronic nova drive, and it had some decent sounds, but i dont know how well it blends.
Fulltone OCD, MI auido blues pro, fulltone GT-500 or fulldrive, Hermida Zendrive, Tim or Timmy (more transparent), Barber has some great offerings, as does Catalinbread, i really like the DLS. there are tons. listen to some demos to see what you like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
while im at it, does the TC electronic nova drive layer very well with amp distortion? it's more expensive, but it can interface with the G-system, which i might get down the road.

(edit)

or the keeley modded DS-1, for that matter?
Last edited by wonkothesane at Sep 14, 2010,