hello. I have had a squire strat for 2 years but have never gotten serious about playing it until recently. It's been about half a year since i have gotten serious about it (practicing a lot) and for a gift i can get a new guitar.

I play mostly rock, alternative, and metal. I am looking for something around $500 (no more than $1000) that can play those styles well, but also play more easier stuff. A versatile guitar? I was looking at the epiphone les paul standard around 500$. But i want to know all options before i go to the music store and try them and maybe buy one.
I would say ibanez s540
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
i went to the fender site and it listed the jaguars as $1000+. i had looked at jaguars as an option until the price...
I went from a Squier Strat to a Fender MIM Telecaster and it was the best decision I've ever made. They have quite a bit more twang than a strat but it can be taken off with the tone knob.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
hey dude, im kinda on the same situation as you, my suggestion is that you look at the 2010 kramer assault 220 fr, its a les paul like guitar, has got a floyd rose, and you can have both black w/ red bindings or white with black pickups and bridge. well, just google it. it is cheaper,around 300$, you can use the rest to perhaps buy a new amp, or effect pedal, or whatever you like...
Quote by doongle
i went to the fender site and it listed the jaguars as $1000+. i had looked at jaguars as an option until the price...

Thats msrp for the HH jaguar it reallly costs $799 (I just checked on guitarcenter.com)
rock, alternative, and metal... 500$-1000$max... i would try to test some PRS SE guitars...
Ive got one (tremonti SE) for around 600$ or so and it is really VERY WELL made. No fret buzz, tuned like a rock for a long time, very solid PRS pickups, they can do really almost everything, including rock/metal. Ive played many epiphones, EPS LTDs and some Ibanez too in that 600$+- category of guitars and there wasnt guitar which i can compare vs PRS about craftmanship and feeling.
Thats msrp for the HH jaguar it reallly costs $799 (I just checked on guitarcenter.com)

For guitar centre canada it doesnt have jaguars when i search them up..i live in canada btw.
Quote by doongle
So, no one recommends the les paul standard?

LP standart for under 1000$? Hmm only maybe some Burny older LP copy. Try watch some ebay stuff.
With that kind of budget, and really nothing your specifically looking at you really need to go to a store, find some options or brands you like, and then let us know!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by doongle
For guitar centre canada it doesnt have jaguars when i search them up..i live in canada btw.

Oh. Try musiciansfriend.com part of the site is just for shipping to Canada they probbably have it .
www.axemusic.com is a decent Canadian distributor.

And yeah, that kind of budget opens up all sorts of possibilities. Go to a store and try some stuff out.
i dont have much to say except what the others already said: just try out other guitars. i live not too far from the Axe Music in Calgary so i tried a lot of different guitars there. i tried out the JEM20th, and if you had you know..... 6k id strongly suggest that guitar lol. but i really liked the ESP H series guitars. my next will be a H-1001 QM. its roughly $900. its a very, very nice guitar.
Quote by diceksox1809
With that kind of budget, and really nothing your specifically looking at you really need to go to a store, find some options or brands you like, and then let us know!
This.

You've got a decent budget and you seem either open to everything or just don't know what you like. There is no point people shouting out names of guitars to you if you can't tell us what sort of necks you like, what kind of body styles, woods, pickups, etc. Just "what can play this type of music well?" really means nothing.

Go to as many guitar stores as you can find, play everything. Maybe you'll find the right guitar for you by yourself, in which case great. If not, at least you'll have gained a lot of experience and you'll be able to narrow down the kind of spec you want; then people can make suggestions that are actually relevant.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by labhusky
i dont have much to say except what the others already said: just try out other guitars. i live not too far from the Axe Music in Calgary so i tried a lot of different guitars there. i tried out the JEM20th, and if you had you know..... 6k id strongly suggest that guitar lol. but i really liked the ESP H series guitars. my next will be a H-1001 QM. its roughly $900. its a very, very nice guitar.

The jem20th for 6000 a good buy it's acrylic the sustain would be horrible seeing as sustain comes from the wood.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.