Page 1 of 2
Don't mean to troll, but they're one of the BIGGEST (notice I used the word BIG not GOOD) bands ever, along with AC/DC, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. But I've never seen what is SO good about U2 seriously, could anyone explain it to me? I repeat, I am NOT trolling, I seriously wanna know why they're so big...
Ive often wondered the same thing,
Ibanez AM78T with Lace Sensors
Squier Affinity with American Standard Electronics
Line 6 duoVerb
Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive, Heavy Distortion, and Vintage Tube Monster
Digitech RP500

Yeah, I have a colored sig.
Nothing. Bono sounds like someone farting into a mic...

also the other reason i dont like U2 is because Bono thinks he crap dont stink. Southpark hit the nail on the head when they made fun of him.
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
Last edited by dubes216 at Jul 19, 2010,
I don't think I've heard a good U2 song since like Joshua Tree and that era. Whatever, enjoy your stunna shades Bono. 80 Courics of Ireland.
some songs are good, listen to the joshua tree, it's got 3 or 4 decent tracks. but i think they were just lucky rather than anything.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
The popular worship of inferior bands such as U2 actually works to my advantage. I can listen to talented musicians that most people have never heard of, such as Rory Gallagher and Robin Trower, and always enjoy it. They don't suffer from radio overplay like the stuff they crank out today.

Also to point out: U2 is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and Rush is not. Correlation?
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that their music is very widely accessible, the lyrics are clean and clear and quite often have a lot to do with social issues that Bono appears to take such a strong stance on. People might be able to feel like they care about things like starvation in Africa, and are doing something to help vicariously through Bono despite the fact that they aren't. I think one of the biggest things behind U2's success is accessibility, and that people feel like they can identify with them and their causes, maybe even moreso than their music. I am not a U2 fan and I certainly am no Bono fan.
I think they're a good band. If you don't like them you can't really expect someone to explain what's good about them.
I have the same question. Haven't they been together since high school or something?
Quote by hard_rock101
if i started a brutal death metal band, id call it Bleeding Asshole
Quote by abdulalhazred
I really don't know whether I hope this is a troll thread or not....... I mean...either he raped a girl
Or thinks it's ****ing hilarious to joke about it.
He's a monster either way.
I love U2. They're a great band. They're big because they are extremely accessible and they use their music as a message for a better world.
Regardless of what you think of Bono as a person, the guy can sing, and on top of that, command a stage like no other. U2 is still popular because they are a solid group of musicians that have produced tight, well put together songs on a consistent basis throughout their career, and they still put on one of the best live shows you can see these days. Simple as that. Or at least that's how I see it. I'm just a casual fan, but they are a good band.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by BrainDamage
Regardless of what you think of Bono as a person, the guy can sing, and on top of that, command a stage like no other. U2 is still popular because they are a solid group of musicians that have produced tight, well put together songs on a consistent basis throughout their career, and they still put on one of the best live shows you can see these days. Simple as that. Or at least that's how I see it. I'm just a casual fan, but they are a good band.

Pretty much, yeah.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

I saw them on the 360 tour. The best show I've seen in my life. And I've seen Van Halen, ACDC, Kings of Leon, Eric Clapton, and John Mayer. I think I've said enough.
Quote by Leo_Watkins
The Edge is the reason why U2 are good.
Not a great fan of the band per se, but I love Edge's approach to music.

The Edge is more of a technician than anything imo.
Watch it might get loud and u will see that they are a small talent pop act as viewd bu the edges admitting he cant play for sh*t without effects
They're big cause they have an incredibly unique sound. Whether you like em or not, no other guitarist sounds like The Edge. They're actually my favorite band of all time.
Quote by Eternal Flame
Watch it might get loud and u will see that they are a small talent pop act as viewd bu the edges admitting he cant play for sh*t without effects

Actually he CAN play without effects. Listen to his elegant solooing in Love Is Blindness or Unkown Caller.

The scene in It Might Get Loud where he takes the effects off his Elevation riff shows how he can use effects like an instrument and how he puts sound into the creative process rather than just tagging it on for effect.

If you want to see why U2 are so great, look beyond Bono's inflated ego and see that he is an extroadinary frontman and that The Edge is a master of sound and melody. I reccomend Achtung Baby the most and then The Joshua Tree and No Line On The Horion.
Quote by BrainDamage

Totally agree. Im a big fan of the Boy to Achtung Baby period, and listen to those songs a lot. The reason they are so popular is because they appeal to a bunch of people, and are just good muscians.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
I think it's their songwriting and the atmospheres they created in their songs, with their peak being the Joshua Tree album. But really it depends, like any other band or music artist, on whether you're feeling their music and that's an individual thing. They're more mainstream and pop than other rock bands which doesn't bug me, but will bug a lot of people.
U2 are big because they got da hooks. Simple easy riffs and vocal lines.
In the same why that Yngwie or Dream Theatre arent big because they have very complicated riffs
Quote by Eternal Flame

Like if It Might Get Loud was a good in-depth view of U2

And like some people mentioned, The Edge is the best part of the band. I wouldn't call myself a fan though
U2 has a fair catalogue of excellent songs. Virtually every song from their "Best of 1980-1990 " album is amazing. Post-1990 has been mostly crud sprinkled with a few good tracks here and there.

Bono does have an excellent voice and sings with passion & stage presence. Bono is just an amazing guitarist, and i'm glad he was ranked so high on Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitarists list. The feeling he puts into his guitar sometimes makes my hair stand on end. He never wastes a single note, and proves you don't need to shred up and down the neck at supersonic speeds to be a great guitarist. It's all in the emotion you put into the music that counts.
It's pretty much been covered. its a taste thing. Personally, i really like what edge does with all the effects and hes gotta be a damn good rhythm player to have all of the effects sound good, much less, line up. and i agree with barricade 28, its the emotion and the energy that makes the music good
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!
Quote by biker521
It's pretty much been covered. its a taste thing. Personally, i really like what edge does with all the effects and hes gotta be a damn good rhythm player to have all of the effects sound good, much less, line up. and i agree with barricade 28, its the emotion and the energy that makes the music good

Agreed. Edge does have some amazing rythym.

Plus, he's worn a beanie for a decade. 10 points just added.
I've never liked U2, can't think of a single song of them that made me go "Damn". I mean, I used to like Elevation and Vertigo as a kid/teen, but nothing past that. They're pretty meh in my opinion.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by Kyle Gass
Agreed. Edge does have some amazing rythym.

Plus, he's worn a beanie for a decade. 10 points just added.

I heard he never takes it off, and if he did you would see his naked brain.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.

Quote by bodyheatseeker
I heard he never takes it off, and if he did you would see his naked brain.

does he keep it on when he takes a shower?
Quote by In America
does he keep it on when he takes a shower?

Of course.
If he didn't, Bono would brainwash him.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.

IMO, they have very good and memorable songs. Their newer songs aren't nearly as good as their earlier songs though.
Reason u2 are so big? Simple
People are idiots
U2 are like Pringles-everybody knows ther shite but they sell by the truckload-
Theres no thinkin involved,easy soundbites for lyrics minimal guitar,nice and safe,Just pick up that tube n let the shite rolll down your throat n you always get the same thing,always round,plain and uniform. just like the edges solos. Yum!
and if that wasnt enough its good to know the lead singer spend his time worrying bout the poor and needy when hes lyin on his forty-foot yacht
Quote by corpcleg
Reason u2 are so big? Simple
People are idiots
U2 are like Pringles-everybody knows ther shite but they sell by the truckload-
Theres no thinkin involved,easy soundbites for lyrics minimal guitar,nice and safe,Just pick up that tube n let the shite rolll down your throat n you always get the same thing,always round,plain and uniform. just like the edges solos. Yum!
and if that wasnt enough its good to know the lead singer spend his time worrying bout the poor and needy when hes lyin on his forty-foot yacht

Have you ever listened to their music or do you just trash them because they're popular?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.

I wish you were right, Unfortunately I have had the privilige off listening too all there Albums not by choice, If you notice i was TRYN to pass judgement on their "music"
the fact there POPULAR just adds to the arguement that mediocrity rises!
Just caz an act is popular doesnt meen their good,in fact it can often indicate the opposite
(250k people flocking to Knebworth for Robbie Williams gig?).There is not one good MUSICIAN in that band and it shows. The more shite albums they sell the more im convinced im right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2