Apparently quite alot of people like my guitar playing (Not be cocky) but I don't really get why 'cause I literally just work with the minor pentatonic and just link it up to other scales with a few Slash styled licks. I can't really shred or sweep, I can tremolo pick pretty well and apparently my feel is really good but when I improvise (I'm part of a jam night band at the local mus venue) I find my playing not up to standard since I've been playing for about 6 years. I'm also in the running for winning Guitarist Of The Year next year at college in which you win a 70's Gibson Les Paul Custom for a year. I find it hard to define what kind of guitarist I am really. Any help?
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
This is my standard argument dealing with the subject "best guitarist". Who has sold more records "Slash or Vai", "Young or Satch"? It's not about technical difficulty, it's all about what sounds good.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
Minor Pentatonic is cool, dude - don't let the metalheads and shredders get to you

Every guitarist critizises their own to a point where they think they're not up to par. Healthy imo, at the point where you're satisfied with your skill is when you'll hardly improve if at all.

Just enjoy the attention and don't get cocky about it if you do win, and stop worrying about it
I'm also in the running for winning Guitarist Of The Year next year at college in which you win a 70's Gibson Les Paul Custom for a year.

What? You win a Gibson for a year?
After that year you need to return it?
I know how you feel. My bandmates tell me that i'm really good, but i don't really see it. I'm decent i guess, but i'm really sloppy. I also taught myself, so i progressed strangely. I know very few chords, but i can tear through scales and senselessly tap 3 octave arpeggios. Keyword here is senselessly.

But like the other guy said, if others like it, then you're all set. You judge yourself more than others judge you, so you'll always think you're worse than you are.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by PTJohe
What? You win a Gibson for a year?
After that year you need to return it?

Yeah you have to return it after a year. It's an amazingly nice Gibson though and the Customs are my favourite so I hope I can win it.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Quote by Tokai09
Yeah you have to return it after a year. It's an amazingly nice Gibson though and the Customs are my favourite so I hope I can win it.

not to rant and rave here but.. WTF?

when you play a guitar you spend massive amounts of time learning its every nuance detail flaw and intimate characteristic in order to get the most out of it.

for them to just take it away after a year like its some random object that has no personal connection...

oh and in regards to your original post. maybe some pick slides will take your playing to the next level.
Last edited by Coagulation at Jul 19, 2010,
Why is the most commonly requested last meal on death row a cheeseburger?

Because it's the simple things in life that often mean the most to us.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah people around me when they hear me playing., they say that I play really good and stuff,but I don`t think am that good Im pretty sloppy,I guess I`m too hard on myself.
Breakin` the Law!
well Anyone that can pick up a guitar and play some power chords and a couple pentatonic licks usually comes out looking like a guitar pro in the eyes of people who dont play guitar.

people who do play guitar will more then likely not be fooled.
It can be easy at the start to aim to play as fast as you can without listening to yourself - to treat the guitar more like a tool than an instrument. What's missing is the audience, and what they like to listen to. More often than not it's something with a good melody, and good melodies are more likely to be found through slower playing - it's just a bit hard to hear if you play too fast.

Edit: I'm not hating on fast playing - I like a good wank as much as the next guy. But you should realise that it is just a wank, and that you should put more emphasis into making the song better to listen to rather than getting yourself off.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Joshua1207
lol @ winning a guitar for a year.

I'm in the running for it and why lol?

Quote by Coagulation
well Anyone that can pick up a guitar and play some power chords and a couple pentatonic licks usually comes out looking like a guitar pro in the eyes of people who dont play guitar.

people who do play guitar will more then likely not be fooled.

Well that's not entirely true, like I said I usually work around the minor pentatonic which I'll run into it's relative major and blend in with other scales. But when I played Sweet Child O Mine at a college show, other musician where coming up to me saying it was probably the best solo of the show and that's all pentatonic so I wouldn't say guitarists aren't impressed with it. Loads say it's boring to play but if you play it with some technical riffs it can probably be the best scale in your arsenal.

I have the same problem with my playing. Minor pentatonic, sloppy, and self-taught. The only thing I know to do is either push myself out of my comfort zone and learn songs that I might not necessarily like that are different, or, to roll with it and hit an SRV kick every now and then. For example, I didn't really care that much for Metallica or similar stuff before not too long ago (I know) but hearing others play that kind of stuff over time drove me to try the same and I like to believe that its helped me break my boxes every now and again. I'm no shredder by anybody's standard, but I can hang with it. I always thought if I could afford a decent lesson, I might be able to break some of my bad habits.

You know who else thought they were a terrible guitarist for a real long time? Eric Clapton. This is just a good sign that you're not left satisfied and that you want to improve.
Quote by Tokai09
I'm in the running for it and why lol?

Because it's stupid they take it away.

I'm sure everyone thinks that who've seen this. You should just run away with it
Quote by Tokai09
I played Sweet Child O Mine at a college show, other musician where coming up to me saying it was probably the best solo of the show and that's all pentatonic

No it's not - the solo is in Eb minor. It uses the natural and melodic minor scales from memory. Not just the penatonic.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
No it's not - the solo is in Eb minor. It uses the natural and melodic minor scales from memory. Not just the penatonic.

Well we played it in E for the sake of it. Ah yeah so it is

Quote by AlanHB

Actually, I think it's the natural and harmonic minor scales.

Any way, I pretty the same as TS. I play mostly in the minor pentatonic scale, and as a bluesy style of soloing.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by Jesus_Dean
This is my standard argument dealing with the subject "best guitarist". Who has sold more records "Slash or Vai", "Young or Satch"? It's not about technical difficulty, it's all about what sounds good.

What he said. I don't think I can really add anything to that that would take the conversation to a new level.
1. win it
2. roadtrip
3. have friends beat you up
4. say you were mugged and it was stolen but you really still have it in your friend's house
5. get it back after heat dies down
6. ???
7. PROFIT
I scarcely see the point in "winning" a rental like that. I suppose it is better than nothing but seriously...
Quote by Cheesepuff
1. win it
2. roadtrip
3. have friends beat you up
4. say you were mugged and it was stolen but you really still have it in your friend's house
5. get it back after heat dies down
6. ???
7. PROFIT

I like it =D although I'd rather keep it...

Quote by Jesus_Dean

That's not really a fair argument at all.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by scguitarking927
Do explain?

Popularity does not factor into it. Goodness is entirely subjective and relative to the listener's tastes, and therefore that cannot be submitted as a valid point in regards to one musician being "better" than another one. On one hand there have been plenty of great musicians that have barely sold any albums and on the other there have been bad musicians that have sold millions upon millions. How is the number of record sales even relevant?
Last edited by Sóknardalr at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by Sóknardalr
Popularity does not factor into it. Goodness is entirely subjective and relative to the listener's tastes, and therefore that cannot be submitted as a valid point in regards to one musician being "better" than another one. On one hand there have been plenty of great musicians that have barely sold any albums and on the other there have been bad musicians that have sold millions upon millions. How is the number of record sales even relevant?

Exactly, in some small ways, I can see how popularity is relevant. But in the end, there's not really a good way to compare or rank guitarists and it's just stupid in general.

Are any of you willing to say that Billie Joe (Green Day) is better than Satch? Maybe he's a better songwriter? What about Angus Young? What if he was a solo artist like Satch? There's too many questions and FAR TOO MANY people (regarding the popularity argument) who will accept whatever is put in front of them, so some artists will simply never be popular because they didn't get the exposure that some California/New York bands did.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Last edited by hockeyplayer168 at Jul 20, 2010,