Im looking for a guitar and amp on a pretty low budget (350€, approx 450$)
Ive been playing acoustic for about 6 months and want to get an electric.
Im mostly into Metal and have been looking at Ibanez, Schecter, Cort etc... but anytime i find anything in my price range they seem to have really bad reviews.
Any suggestions?
thanks for your help
A cousin of mine got a Squier Affinity Strat and some fender amp for just 200$(the amp came with the guitar. :P)
Let me just say, that thing kicks a$s.. Such a heavy tone. O_O
And its only a solid state amp. :O
310 won't get you very much, sorry to say. It will be virtually impossible to play with the amp you get live. I'd just save up money in order to buy a decent amp like an AC30, Fender Twin, etc or something to that matter.
Quote by SmokeJs
310 won't get you very much, sorry to say. It will be virtually impossible to play with the amp you get live. I'd just save up money in order to buy a decent amp like an AC30, Fender Twin, etc or something to that matter.

I bet you would change ur mind after you hear my cousin's amp.
Quote by MaddMann274
A cousin of mine got a Squier Affinity Strat and some fender amp for just 200$(the amp came with the guitar. :P)
Let me just say, that thing kicks a$s.. Such a heavy tone. O_O
And its only a solid state amp. :O

Im sure the tones nice, but its not really my style guitar, i dont know why, i just dont really like it

I only need a small amp, i dont do any gigs or anything, just one for playing in my room
i was thinking of maybe getting a Ibanez GRGR121 or a Les paul special II
with a line 6 spider or a roland cube?
Quote by SmokeJs

Please tell me you're trolling...he hasn't even started playing Electric guitar and you tell him to wait and buy a thousand euro amp that fits a very narrow range of styles?

Oh my...what the...what is going on in this thread

TS, what kind of music do you play? And what country are you in? (Can affect prices)

For an amp maybe take a look at a Peavey Vypyr 15, you should be able to get one for around €100. Avoid Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MG's, the Roland cube is pretty good though. For a guitar, the Yamaha pacificas are quite popular. I'll let someone else comment on the Ibanez you're looking at because I'm not too familiar with Ibanez's in that price range. If you let us know what kind of music you play we'll be able to give better recommendations as some guitars suit some styles better than others.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by GNR4EVER

TS, what kind of music do you play? And what country are you in? (Can affect prices)

For an amp maybe take a look at a Peavey Vypyr 15, you should be able to get one for around €100. Avoid Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MG's, the Roland cube is pretty good though. For a guitar, the Yamaha pacificas are quite popular. I'll let someone else comment on the Ibanez you're looking at because I'm not too familiar with Ibanez's in that price range. If you let us know what kind of music you play we'll be able to give better recommendations as some guitars suit some styles better than others.

I'm in France so prices are high I wasn't sure about the line 6 as the only reviews i've read are either "OMG dis is awsum" or "don't buy it, its s**t"
I've played a pacifica 012 and didn't really like that.
On the acoustic i play RHCP, oasis etc... on an electric it would be (eventually ) metallica, slipknot, Guns n Roses etc... maybe a little reggae
Quote by Limace
I'm in France so prices are high I wasn't sure about the line 6 as the only reviews i've read are either "OMG dis is awsum" or "don't buy it, its s**t"
I've played a pacifica 012 and didn't really like that.
On the acoustic i play RHCP, oasis etc... on an electric it would be (eventually ) metallica, slipknot, Guns n Roses etc... maybe a little reggae

Ah well if you're in France then Thomann would definitely be a good idea. Very good prices and great shipping. It's like €20 for anything to Ireland, they're in Germany so I'd imagine it would be very cheap to France.

If that's the kind of music you'd like to play I'd definitely go for something with humbuckers, so the Ibanez might be a good choice. I'll let someone else comment on it though as I haven't played it.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by GNR4EVER
Ah well if you're in France then Thomann would definitely be a good idea. Very good prices and great shipping. It's like €20 for anything to Ireland, they're in Germany so I'd imagine it would be very cheap to France.

If that's the kind of music you'd like to play I'd definitely go for something with humbuckers, so the Ibanez might be a good choice. I'll let someone else comment on it though as I haven't played it.

Thanks for the help man, now ill just have to see if i can try that ibanez somewhere and find some more reviews...
Also, is a Floyd rose really necessary? if i tell anyone im getting an electric they all tell me to get it with a Floyd rose but its look a bit complicated to replace strings
If you're getting a cheap guitar, then generally stay away from those with floyds. They're brilliant on high end guitars where the floyd will almost never detune, but with cheaper ones the parts aren't nearly as high quality and won't have the same stability and will likely fail eventually.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
art300's are at about 500$ here so that would be over my budget without an amp so definitely cant get that
Quote by MaddMann274
I bet you would change ur mind after you hear my cousin's amp.

Here is the problem with solid states... They sound good at low volumes but they're terrible when cranked up. They A. don't have nearly the amount of volume output as a tube amp, and B. sound very muddy when turned up. They're good practice amps but if you want to ever play live you're in for a rude awakening.
I bought a cheap-o USB plug in from ebay and it came with a free copy of Guitar Rig 2. It was basically a 30 dollar amp. Guitar Rig is pretty badass, by the way, but I'm 99% sure the copy I got was pirated and not exactly legal.

At any rate, as long as you have a couple speakers lying around you gonna slay any shitty 15W practice amp with Guitar Rig. Perhaps not the direction you want to go in... but it is what it is.

Anyways, 450 for both guitar and amp does not equal a good set up for metal. But hey, ya gotta start somewhere. Schecter is excellent value for your dollar by the way. The best, economically, for metal guitars IMO.
Last edited by Concat at Jul 20, 2010,
Everyone always recommends Schecter... I've never played one before, I'll have to go to my local guitar center and test it out.
I tried a second hand Schecter devil tribal at a local shop and it played nicely, they where asking 370$ for it, is that a good deal? I could probably knock them down to around 350$ if i got my amp from there aswell
I just bought a Schecter Demon over the weekend I really liked it, and I'm sort of on a shoestring budget myself.