well i have a laney lc50ii, which is a valve/tube combo

it currently has:

Preamp Valves Premium ECC83

Output Valves Premium EL34

but im now looking to change them to something which suits my preferred style (death metal, deathcore/metalcore, thrash metal)

any suggestions?

i looked on this website

http://thetubestore.com/

but i am utterly confused

all help is appreciated
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
What's got you confused? How old are the preamp and power tubes currently installed?
they are the same as the ones it came with, but im looking to change them, and i dont know whats best to change them to
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
you probly can't change the type yourself, but if you could I've heard good things for metal about kt 88's. leave the 12ax7s.
i can easily do it, if i had a mic i could give you a sample, tone on 10, drive on 10, bass on 4, middle on 7,
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
I'd just keep to the same type of tubes if I were you. Most other preamp tubes will produce less distortion.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
i heard the stock tubes in the laney are useless, and i should get some groovetubes or something :S, is there any other tubes that i can just swap the stock for, as ive had the amp nearly two years so i think they are due for a change anyway
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by EFGuitar
you probly can't change the type yourself, but if you could I've heard good things for metal about kt 88's. leave the 12ax7s.

KT88's will not fit in the Laney, the Laney is similar to the Valveking, except a British voicing, since it uses EL34's, you can technically switch them to either 6L6GC's or KT66's(maybe), you would just have to rebias your amp.

For metal, uh, I'll say get some JJ 12AX7's, and JJ 6L6GC's, should do better than the EL34's.
Quote by ethan_hanus
KT88's will not fit in the Laney, the Laney is similar to the Valveking, except a British voicing, since it uses EL34's, you can technically switch them to either 6L6GC's or KT66's(maybe), you would just have to rebias your amp.

For metal, uh, I'll say get some JJ 12AX7's, and JJ 6L6GC's, should do better than the EL34's.

that actually made sense, will the ones you suggested be higher gain and have more clarity than my current ones?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
that actually made sense, will the ones you suggested be higher gain and have more clarity than my current ones?

IDK about clarity, but gain wise, the JJ brand tubes are known for having a darker tone and being able to handle more gain. This is where the tube business gets funny, cause certain brands of tubes will add different characteristics to your overall voicing.

Your amp is British voicing, there's no getting around that, but you can do things to make it sound more American, a mix between American an British.

Marshall would be an example of a British voiced amp. Tends to be more crunch and brighter.

Peavey would be an example of an American voiced amp. Tends to be more chug and darker.

For your amp, I'm going to say, two JJ 6L6GC's(power tubes), two JJ 12AX7 preamp tubes, and look for a TAD 12AX7, which it's a brighter sounding tube, and should balance out the darkness and give more clarity.

Tubes can only do so much for your tone, the best mod I can think of if it's anything like the Valveking is a speaker swap, prolly a V-30.
Go with JJ throughout if you want it to growl. Get a balanced 12AX7 for the phase inverter. If you can afford gold pin JJ's buy them. I'd just stick with ECC83(12AX7) and 6CA7(EL34) tubes that way you won't have to mod anything. JJ EL34s do sound good, you'd have to go good NOS to beat them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thanks guys for the advice, am i right in saying you can get different brands of the same tube, which do sound slightly different but are generally the same except from quality?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
thanks guys for the advice, am i right in saying you can get different brands of the same tube, which do sound slightly different but are generally the same except from quality?

yes.
there are different brands of same tube model & type
from what i've been researching & techs i deal with,the tung sol 12ax7 has the most gain of the brands while ruby tubes have less gain

quality & preference are subjective.

try musicians friend & harmony central etc. & read the reviews talk to local techs if possible.
Unless you're going to change to the exact make of tubes that were originally put in them, you're going to have to re-bias your amp. ECC83's are just 12AX7's, they're just the European/American designations (respectively). I wouldn't bother switching to another tube type for your preamp, 12AX7s are pretty much the standard for high gain and experimenting with preamp tubes at 20 bucks a pop gets annoying. While most dual-triode preamp tubes would do fine, 12AX7's are pretty much just the industry standard when handling with pretty much any critical gain stages, and going by your description of your style, I wouldn't go changing them.

As far as power tubes, there are also just so many options, and I've seen EL34s on ridiculously high-gain amps, as well as 6L6s (duh) 5881's, blah blah blah. I wouldn't go changing too much as far as tube classes, but as far as quality of sound goes, just look at different brands. When changing from brand to brand however, biasing will most likely be necessary, unless the required grid voltage is miraculously matched... All in all, I really suggest that you just take the amp into a tech and talk to them about it. They'll point you in the right direction. Tubes aren't going to necessarily change the inherent tonal characteristics of your amp in the way you might think. They can make a huge difference, but a simple change of tubes isn't going to turn a Fender Princeton into an ENGL Savage or a Soldano, etc.

Basically, in my long-winded, probably unnecessary rant, the point I was trying to get across is that if you're asking for tube advice in the first place, you shouldn't already know how to bias your amp and make the necessary changes anyway. So just take it into a tech dude, and they'll point you in the right direction.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Tungsols are just long plate Sovteks that bare no resemblance to the original TingSol, they just bought the trademark like they did with so many others. They are ok and useful to add a bit of high end but if you use too many of them it just gets shrill.
I'd get a full set of JJ's and maybe one Sovtek (TungSol, Mullard, ElectroHarmonix) to try in different positions until you get the sound you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
jj ecc83s, jj el34. you can't change to 6l6s without rebiasing. if the amp isn't made for it you'll stress your ot.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
go on eurotubes.com they offer full retube kits based on the amp.

site will also explain all your questions about tubes
Eurotubes have a facility so you can specify a balanced 12AX7 for a few extra bucks when you order it too which is handy. You need one balanced 12AX7 for the phase inverter.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification