So ive been trying to deconstruct my favourite songs, specifically solos, and i think i may be going about it in the wrong way. I always start by finding out the key of the song and from there trying to pin different melodies or chord progressions to a scale, and most of the time there is always one note that keeps coming out of the scale. So i guess what im asking is does anyone know of a better way for me to deconstruct my favourite songs, cause atm i feel like im becoming a robot :/
To me that sounds like the best way to do it. I've always done it that way, my teacher always tells people to do it that way, and so on. However, this method doesn't count for accidentals. If 97% of the rest of the notes all fall within the scales you've determined, the rest are probably just accidentals.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
So if 97% of the notes work within the scale barring one note, then thats most probably the scale that they used to write the melody?
Quote by alphablade7
So if 97% of the notes work within the scale barring one note, then thats most probably the scale that they used to write the melody?
Either that or they didn't consider the scale at all, they just wrote the melody and it happened to follow that scale closely.

I suggest you learn about intervals. That way, instead of trying to recognize everything as a specific scale, you'll be able to see how the notes work, not just what scale they are in.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea