Page 1 of 2
I never made one of these for my Strat. And everyone knows those EG fags don't deserve the pr0n. Let's get the pr0n out of the way first.

It's an '07 Custom Shop one off based on the '56 RI. The neck is the biggest one Fender makes and it has the Mary Kaye option and a slightly flatter radius. It's incredibly light and resonant. I'm a big fan of the huge neck, lots of tone and it's extremely comfortable for chording work.
The stock pickups were okay, too bright for the maple neck though. I swapped them for 60s spec Lollars that are a bit grittier and have a much nicer and smoother high end. Matched up with the swamp ash body, they have a huge piano like tone. I rarely find myself missing humbuckers. I wired it up with some mojo RS SuperPot for smoother volume control and a mojo PIO Jensen cap. I'm not sure how much difference the cap made as it's also a much different smaller value than the stock one. I had extra money in my PP account though so I figured what the hell. I put a new 5 way switch in too. I also scraped the paint off of the trem block for better contact with the baseplate that created more sustain.

In addition to the guitar, I got a few new pedals. Unfortunately, after the first pedal came, my camera was stolen by someone who came to look at my house so I have no pics of them. They are a Skreddy Screw Driver, Analog Man KoT V4 and a Fulltone ChoralFlange.

Here are the Skreddy pr0nz.

The Skreddy was a huge disappointment. I wound up selling it less than a week after I got it. The design started with a Rangemaster into a Fuzz Face and you can definitely tell that this is a tamed fuzz. Not a lot of balls, very overly smooth. You can get a decent violin tone out of it and if you can mute the strings right, you can get a decent Robben Ford tone. I guess that's why so many TGP guys like it. It did have nice clean up abilities though. I feel like I may have liked it better if the Brilliance and Pregain pots were more easily accessible. Everything is too interactive to have them on trim pots.

The KoT is amazing. Hands down my favorite overdrive yet. Along with my RMC3, it's staying with me for life. It's not extremely transparent but it's definitely more transparent than a Tubescreamer type OD. There's more bass and high end along with a weaker mid range. It's very fat and sparkly at low gain settings, which are about noon on the drive pot. Anything below that and it sounds fairly dull. When you turn it up, the treble decreases as expected and it sounds great. Much grittier and raw sounding than your average boutique OD. Stacking the two as is suggested in the manual results in an overally nasal tone IMO but using them as you would a Tubescreamer into a dirty amp results in a great higher gain tone.

The ChoralFlange is okay. Kind of a jack of all trades chorus. It's not as fat as a CE-1/2 type chorus and it's not as thin/sparkly as a TC SC/F type chorus. It can do a a really good Leslie sim though, which is what I hear a lot of guys have theirs for. Like all choruses, it sounds much nicer in stereo. The flange mode is incredibly subtle. Pretty much useless IMO. I'm trying to sell it but it's not looking like it'll be easy right now. I might just keep it for now since I really like the buffer.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 23, 2010,
Gorgeous it looks perfect.

HNGD!!!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
damn that is a fine looking strat!

happy new gear day, hope you find the bastard who stole your camera
B-e-a-u-tiful!

(btw I have the same strap )
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Oh yea. I forgot to mention the Strat comparison I had with a friend last week. We compared my Strat to a real '57 that Billy Gibbons gave to Van Wilks. The quality and tone of this thing was very close. Some aging and it could be all the way there. The plugged in sound was obviously different since it had stock pickups and mine has 60s specs.

And this one was at AVG for like 3 days before I found it. It was love at first strum. Eric Johnson was in the shop at the same time and agreed it was the best Strat in there.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 19, 2010,
HNGD man, that strat is too sexy!
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Oh shit. Forgot about another pedal I got and sold off. There are probably a few others. I can't remember all of the stuff I've had this summer.

It's a Fulton-Webb Textosterone. Basically a modded Son of Screamer clone. It's got a very flat response that would work great for some, not for me. It's a nice Tube Driver substitute with all of its bass. It starts to sound more like a faux fuzz when very high up on the gain knob but there's no need whatsoever for that much gain.

And there are a few builds that I sold off as well.

This one is a Fulltone '69 clone with NOS Matsushita 2SB176 transistors. Very nice clean up, very smooth. Nails the early Hendrix fuzz tone and cleans up wonderfully. It doesn't work as well with Fender type amps IMO and that's why I sold it. It's a bit snarlier with my Blues Jr.

This one is a Lovepedal Eternity Burst clone. It's basically the best Tubescreamer you've never heard. Very nice mid range, smooth top end and the famous bass cut. More gain than the RI TS9/808s but just a tiny bit more than the original I owned. It's grittier than the RIs too. Very easy to get an SRV tone with it. I sent it to josephde here on the forums to try out and he wanted it so I let him have it for cost of parts. I assume he still has it but he's been away for a while so I'm not sure. I might build another one day.

EDIT: No, the strap didn't come with the guitar. It's a Levy's strap that I got at GC for like $20. It's really comfortable for a nylon strap.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 19, 2010,
HNGD, I agree hugely about the Screwdriver, found it pretty bland tbh.

Very nice strat though.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Yea, when I got it John said that you got one and sold it off really quickly too. I definitely don't see the big deal. I've got clips of it somewhere playing some Maiden stuff where I managed to make it sound decent but that's about it. Did you use it with humbuckers?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

beautiful strat.

i agree on the eternity burst. mine has a bit more gain than my old 808 tho. i think it's a great od pedal, but doesn't really do the clean boost thing too well. or at all really.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Sweeeeeeet, Matt! Lotta cool stuff at once. Almost brings tears to my eyes!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Nice! I wondered what your strat looks like. Very cool stuff.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
the first pic made me thing you painted it, WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME.

HNGD, btw.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by gregs1020
beautiful strat.

i agree on the eternity burst. mine has a bit more gain than my old 808 tho. i think it's a great od pedal, but doesn't really do the clean boost thing too well. or at all really.

Yea, I said that one had a bit more gain than the old one I used to own. Still very useable though. And I agree, it's a failure at cleaning up but it's got a ton of output.

And Randy, this stuff all came over the course of the 2 months or so since my last NGD thread. Threads for one or two things are boring.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

awesome!
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Says the guy who I sent on a wild goose chase for a magic one size fits all screwdriver.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Says the guy who I sent on a wild goose chase for a magic one size fits all screwdriver.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

home depot is pretty sweet though.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Gorgeous!

Strats always look fantastic, and a really great quality strat looks ****ing amazing.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
That strat is teh secs!

and yeah, EG don't deserve this shit - leave them to their epis, ltd's and schecters...

fixed.

yea that mary kay is beautiful, and i don't like gold hardware normally. but that's sick.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
fixed.

yea that mary kay is beautiful, and i don't like gold hardware normally. but that's sick.

Why must EG be so stupids?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Bump for crappy web cam pr0nz of KoT and ChoralFlange.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by SwampAshSpecial
That strat is teh secs!

and yeah, EG don't deserve this shit - leave them to their epis...

So true. That forum is chocked full of steaming fail.

Every time I go in there it just ends up making me angry about something.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Yea. I plugged it in and just went WTF. I got it for a good price too and still wound up losing $20. The KoT is in every way superior.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Just out of curiosity, what'd you pay for the King of Tone?
$255 w/ the dual high gain option from Analog Man.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

so are their pics of the strat other than just the headstock?

EDIT:Nevermind, don't know why it didnt load the first time
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by mmolteratx
$255 w/ the dual high gain option from Analog Man.

Were you on the waiting list then? I am too, but I still have a long wait...

Glad to hear it's good though, would you recommend the high gain mods?
^ Yeah he was 5 months ahead of me on the list.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Hesh_09
Were you on the waiting list then? I am too, but I still have a long wait...

Glad to hear it's good though, would you recommend the high gain mods?

Yea, I waited 18 months. I'd definitely recommend the high gain mods. Lower gain settings still sound dull with the high gain option but it starts to sound better earlier in the pot travel. The extra gain is very usable as well.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Page 1 of 2