I always practice scales and different techniques with a metronome. But I noticed I always move up in note divisions rather than bpm. For instance:

Whole notes at 60bpm, Half notes at 60bpmQuarter notes at 60pbm etc. And I'd move up 5-10 bpm at a time, unless I'm working on fixing a technique issue in which case I move up only 1bpm at a time.

But what if I moved up in Bpms first and note durations second? It would look like: Whole notes at 60bpm, whole notes at 65bpm whole notes at 70bpm
half notes at 60, half notes at 65etc. half notes at 70bpm etc.

Is there any difference in these two methods?
all your changing is nps so either way works its just a different way of thinking about it, I suggest changing the note divisions because this will help you more.
Yes, I suggest the note divisions.
It'll help your rhythm a LOT more.
infact, I wouldn't even bother with whole notes.
Stick with Quads, Triplets and sextuplets.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by yearzero
I always practice scales and different techniques with a metronome. But I noticed I always move up in note divisions rather than bpm. For instance:

Whole notes at 60bpm, Half notes at 60bpmQuarter notes at 60pbm etc. And I'd move up 5-10 bpm at a time, unless I'm working on fixing a technique issue in which case I move up only 1bpm at a time.

But what if I moved up in Bpms first and note durations second? It would look like: Whole notes at 60bpm, whole notes at 65bpm whole notes at 70bpm
half notes at 60, half notes at 65etc. half notes at 70bpm etc.

Is there any difference in these two methods?

Don't overthink stuff like this: just do both. It's the same with fitness: if you want to grow, the best thing to do is provide your body with mutilple, different stimuli that work on the same area.
Yeah
Quote by TehDutchDude
Don't overthink stuff like this: just do both. It's the same with fitness: if you want to grow, the best thing to do is provide your body with mutilple, different stimuli that work on the same area.

+1