JUST READ the "Going Into The Studio" Thread and it made me want to vent!

I, and the guys in my band, are all in our late 20s. When we started out, we had a friend record us and we paid him. We were split on how good of a job he did, but:

Everything was done on a scheudle
Everything was delivered on time
Mixing and production were discussed meeting style

The experience was good and the quality was exactly what we paid for...
COOL

Then, when it came to record new songs, our bass player, a sound engineer, realyl wanted to do it. He went on about how it would save us money and time and trouble and we'd get exactly what WE want out of it.

It has taken 6 months to do 10 songs. He WILL NOT get everything done on a scheudle. He is being completely casual about it. When parts do get done, things get changed, i.e.:

I record a guitar part, the way we play it all the time, the way I wrote it.
Another band member, who is just hanging out at the house and wants to hear teh tracks, will talk him into editing my part. Now, when I hear it back 2 weeks later, it's not what I recorded and other parts have been recorded, adjusted to the new version

I could list dozens of problems being encountered here.
Our band may be pretty much done with this line-up because of recording issues.

My QUESTION:

Have you ever had a bad recording experience with a freind or band member?
Well, I'm the one recording my band because I have a Pro Tools setup. We're pretty casual about it, but I usually record all the guitars to the songs, mainly because I'm the main songwriter. I write the bass tracks and drum tracks in MIDI, and use those in the recordings until the bassist gets around to recording. However, we're just starting out, and trying to get a demo made so we can start getting shows. I imagine that if we were on a schedule, since I am also the band leader, I would make sure that things got done in a timely fashion.
Although home DIY recording is often good, a pro studio is usally a far better option.

Your bassist doesn't sound like a very good engineer - the first thing you need to do is respect the band's wishes, but it sounds like he's just going vigilante and mixing it the way he likes.

Here's how our band does it, would work for you guys:

- Record the band in a prod studio, but don't do any mixing
- Take the masters home with you
- Arrange 'mixing sessons' at your bassist's house where the band sit, have a few beers and mix the tracks together (with your bassist at the desk and you guys making the decisions).

Though unless your bassist has good quality monitors and decent production skills that's a bad idea.