I'm upgrading from my spider iii 15 watt. I'm looking for a tube amp, and after tons of research, I've narrowed my choices down. My budget is $450-500. I play alternative, modern rock, soft rock, that stuff. (switchfoot, incubus, relient k etc.) I will and would preferably buy used to save money.

These are the amps I've found so far:

Egnater Tweaker
Vox AC15
Marshall dsl-401 (id probably have to save up more money to get this.)
Blackstar HT-20
Peavey Classic 30

I want a combo amp. I would like 2 channels, but only the blackstar and marshall actually have 2 channels. Oh, and I don't gig (yet).

I just want you guys' opinions. Which would be best for me?
i know im gunna get killed for saying this, but if u want a amp, why dnt u get a line 6 half stack? its cheaper, and it will do everything u want. and u can save presets lol. line 6 half stacks are the bomb. hell if u wanted to, for the money, u could get a fukin full stack. jus saying

LINE 6 FTW
Quote by lukas1324
i know im gunna get killed for saying this, but if u want a amp, why dnt u get a line 6 half stack? its cheaper, and it will do everything u want. and u can save presets lol. line 6 half stacks are the bomb. hell if u wanted to, for the money, u could get a fukin full stack. jus saying

LINE 6 FTW

Quote by lukas1324

LINE 6 FTW

EEW
Either the Egnater or the Vox. I'm about to buy the Tweaker in a couple of weeks.

Quote by lukas1324

LINE 6 FTW

Decent advice as long as you stay away from the spiders.
A used Flextone might be in your range.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by lukas1324

LINE 6 FTW

I feel this is deserving of the ALMIGHTY FACEPALM STACK!

lmfao haha. i jus wanted to see peoples reactions hahah. hoenstly, i think u shuld go for the marshall. even if u have to save. imo. dont get the peavey.

(and i was kidding bout the line 6 lmfao)
if u do get a line 6, a vlexatone, or a valve. both are great for live shows, but better for insane amounts of dis. not a spider tho plz >.< dont spend 500 on a SPIDER!!!
Get the DSL401 , Ive had mine a year now and love it . if you hear people saying that the OD channels are too tinny or fizzy then complete the fx loop e.g with a patch lead and crank the fx level . The amp gets louder , adds more bite , gain and more bass .

Even better , boost the slightly overdriven crunch on the clean channel with a SD-1 or TS-9

Buy the marshall
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
I've always liked the marshalls sound. how much could I get a dsl401 used for?
The DSL is not a very good ampp IMO, the cleans are just, crappy, and the distortion doesn't cut through the mix, it's just to muddy.
Get the AC15 or the tweaker
For your style, either the Vox AC15 or the Tweaker.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
I have the blackstar ht20, and i'm amazingly happy with it. the cleans are good and the drive is awesome aswell. when you crank it up it sounds amazing

i can play alternative rock with it, and i can probably get a modern rock tone too, it's extremely versitile.

what i'd say is go onto blackstar's website, look at the nearest dealer and try one out yourself. it's made by the people who make marshall, so you know it's gonna sound really good =]
GIMME FUE GIMMA FAI GIMMA DABAJAZA

Fender American Strat > Korg Chromatic Tuner > Jemini Distortion > Boss DD7 > Blackstar HT 20
Quote by Dabestile
I have the blackstar ht20, and i'm amazingly happy with it. the cleans are good and the drive is awesome aswell. when you crank it up it sounds amazing

i can play alternative rock with it, and i can probably get a modern rock tone too, it's extremely versitile.

what i'd say is go onto blackstar's website, look at the nearest dealer and try one out yourself. it's made by the people who make marshall, so you know it's gonna sound really good =]

agree with this guy

and the guy who said the DSL is poop
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
2 votes for the dsl, 2 against the dsl, 2 for the blackstar, 3 for the vox or tweaker... bleh. I'm just going to have to try them all out.
Quote by lukas1324
if u want a amp, why dnt u get a line 6 half stack? its cheaper, and it will do everything u want. and u can save presets lol. line 6 half stacks are the bomb. hell if u wanted to, for the money, u could get a fukin full stack. jus saying

LINE 6 FTW

haha sig'ed now this will stay with you for the rest of you life!

DONT EVER JOKE OF SPIDERS!

EDIT

no more space
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Jul 19, 2010,
A vote here for the PV C30.

Made in the USA (doesn't smell like model airplane glue for a week after you unbox it)
2 channels, footswitchable (no footswitch on Tweaker
Spring Reverb
FX loop that actually works with all pedals (again unlike the Tweaker)
Classic EL84 tones
Enough volume to drown out any heavy hitting drummer

Out of the MIC selections, I'd pick the Vox. That one has tone for days.
Switchfoot uses Orange amps (in the studio at least) and Im pretty sure Ive spotted some Marshalls in some Relient k live videos. Just pointing that out...
I pride myself on my humility.
I'd say the Egnator hands down.

I would also look at the Vox Night Train if you don't mind buying a cab. I recently played it and fell in love with it. I usually don't even like Vox but was absolutely blown away by it.
Im going to be that guy who says try the jet city combo! serious, its a great amp.

but if you dont i would say egnater
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Marshall Class5 - $399.00 + Free Shipping at GuitarCenter.com and $399.00 + Free Shipping at Sweetwater.com
In the words of Drew Shirley: ... Sorry, I'm Awesome...
(if anyone can tell me what guitar my avatar is using I'll give you a prize! just comment the answer on my page.)