I've been playing about a year, but i'm pretty slow and here of late i've been working on building some speed. What kind of exercises would you guys recommend for it. Also what exercises would your recommend for tremolo picking and tapping? Thanks
When I wanted to learn tapping I learned "Eruption" by Van Halen. The first time I tremolo picked was actually an accident. I was playing "Lux Aeterna" which goes pretty slow. Then for some reason I just started tremolo picking without even thinking about it. Since then I have tried to get better at it. For that you can learn the intro to Iron Maiden's "Wasted Years" which is epicly amazing, or there is a part of "Eruption" that is trem picked. I'm not really a big fan of exercises for learning a technique, I prefer to learn songs that use the technique so I don't get bored.
To build speed I do chromatics with a metronome and slowly up the tempo, look up some lessons on UG they are very helpful
Breakin` the Law!
Quote by slayerfrk
chromatic exercises are bull shiz to me, you cant do anything musical with them so why bother? you can warm up with any other scale just as good.

I don't know if there's any basis in this but I tend to agree. Chromatic exercises only seem good for warmups and for beginners looking to build finger independence. And their are even much better exercises for that too.