Page 1 of 3
Ive been asking myself this question as I've been thinking about buying a guitar. I would really like to buy 1 guitar that can do everything I need, but with that kind of versatility comes quite the price tag. So the question: How much would you spend on a guitar, keeping in mind you plan on gigging it, and there is always the possibility of it getting stolen.

My answer: $1,500-2k. 2k is REALLY pushing it.
The Guitar: PRS Singlecut or Tremonti (With Trem)
i would probably max out at like 2 grand, though if i won the lottery i would probably spend it on vintage guitars worth 10 times that. for two grand, if i could find a lp custom, i would totally snatch it up. if not, then probably a a les paul classic.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
I'd probably spend $1500 making myself a Warmoth. =P
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
two to three grand really...
probably buy a 25th anniversary prs custom 24... or maybe a custom shop prs
I think about £7,000 is my limit, if it was something truly special and utterly flawless for my purposes in every single way - a full-on master-crafted custom job. In terms of production guitars though or standard [brand] Custom Shop models, £4,000 is my absolute limit; no matter what the guitar was, anything over £2,000 requires at least a solid month of thought and research for me.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by carlos_almighty
i would probably max out at like 2 grand, though if i won the lottery i would probably spend it on vintage guitars worth 10 times that. for two grand, if i could find a lp custom, i would totally snatch it up. if not, then probably a a les paul classic.

You and me sir, I think we'd be good friends because of that. But realistically, even with the lottery, some guitars just were not meant to be played on stage, or (arguably) even more than 10 min. Such as: http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-Paul-Reed-Smith-PRS-Dragon-2-Indigo-Blue-II-/330445366353?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item4cf0142451. I mean really? That is more a piece of artwork than a guitar.
Probably about $2,000, which is a little more than I recently paid for a custom Carvin guitar. Beyond that, I'd only go for vintage guitars, and I don't plan to own any for a while.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by MrFlibble
I think about £7,000 is my limit, if it was something truly special and utterly flawless for my purposes in every single way - a full-on master-crafted custom job. In terms of production guitars though or standard [brand] Custom Shop models, £4,000 is my absolute limit; no matter what the guitar was, anything over £2,000 requires at least a solid month of thought and research for me.

Quote by Marley Tokunaga
two to three grand really...
probably buy a 25th anniversary prs custom 24... or maybe a custom shop prs

Once again with something to consider: Yeah 4-7k. That is a lot of money. Shit happens when you play guitar in your room, imagine on stage. What if this beautiful guitar ( for 4-7k, it better have one of the most beautiful paint jobs AAA flame top etc). What if you hit something and you scratched/dented the guitar? THEN WHAT?!? The 4-7k value just extremely plummeted. So again, would you spend that much?
Prob about 2.5-3K. It would either be a Really Really nice LP or a PRS.

Or something vintage that I knew would appreciate in value really well.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by Enix165
I'd probably spend $1500 making myself a Warmoth. =P

Pretty much this. If I'm spending a lot of money on a guitar I want it to be exactly what I want, and no manufacturer makes the perfect guitar for me, so, Warmoth it is.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01
Once again with something to consider: Yeah 4-7k. That is a lot of money. Shit happens when you play guitar in your room, imagine on stage. What if this beautiful guitar ( for 4-7k, it better have one of the most beautiful paint jobs AAA flame top etc). What if you hit something and you scratched/dented the guitar? THEN WHAT?!? The 4-7k value just extremely plummeted. So again, would you spend that much?

I didn't spend $350 on the finish of my Carvin alone for value. I spent it because if I'm going to have a US made, $1,500+ custom guitar, it's going to be beautiful dammit. It has sentimental value and I'm probably the only person in the world other than Steve Morse, Neal Schon or Brian May who's actually fond of the wiring I ordered, selling it is the least of my concerns of it.

Of course I want it to stay in good condition, but let it get dinged at a show, it's going to happen sooner or later, there's no sense in coddling it just to make it more traumatic when it does.

That said though, $1,900 is a lot different than $4,000, I'd probably feel differently if it had been more.

realisticly, $2.5-3k. planning on dropping that on a nice PRS either later this year, or early next. wouldnt mind spending a bit more if i could get exactly what i wanted though. which is basicly a PRS SC 250 with a very nice finish (wouldnt pay that much for a 245).

and if i found the perfect guitar, i wouldnt mind spending a good bit more (if i was able to afford it).
So money isnt to much of a concern to you all? As long as it sounds/plays/feels and has the options you want?
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01
So money isnt to much of a concern to you all? As long as it sounds/plays/feels and has the options you want?

Well, of course I need to be able to afford it without impeding my quality of life, but if I can, then that is correct.

if i'm in the position to spend 2k on a guitar i will be looking for a vintage gibson es.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
I can see myself saving up 7K or so for an ESP Custom. Hopefully things go well / I start getting a steady income soon.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would never pay more than 500 for any guitar I hvnt personally designed and had custom built. its just a waste really. My customs were always btwn 600 and 2000 and they poop all over any guitars in that price range...both parts wise and build quality wise in my experience.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01
I couldn't give the slightest, slightest shit. If I'm spending any decent amount of money on a guitar, it's got to be something custom made or customised to my tastes anyway. I will never buy a guitar with resale in mind. Never have done, never will do. If I do ever sell a guitar it is only because I've moved on to other things and I have no use for it, in which case I don't care how much I get back on it, so long as it goes to someone who will appreciate it then fine. Ideally though, if I'm having something made to my specification (which is realistic since I'm getting it done as we speak) then that's not the sort of thing I'd ever sell on anyway.

Quote by MrGuitarGuy01
Pretty much. Life is far too short to worry about money. You could be dead tomorrow. Make the most of it while you can; there will always be more money.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01

pretty much, yeah. guitar is the main thing i spend my extra money on, and it is something i really, really enjoy. i can always make more money. and we arent talking car or house money here. if you save up, you can afford pretty much anything eventually. im planning ahead so i can get what i want, so money isnt the #1 concern there.

then again im also not a teenager or in college like most members of UG. people who have to worry about stuff like paying for college or whatever probably do need to spend their money on other things.
interesting ideas as to what is realistic here. the vast majority of musicians can't afford a $3-5000 guitar and many can't afford half of that. i'm 49 and i've never spent that kind of money either. $1000 max and that would go to a used axe. unless i was in band that was making real money i don't think i could justify spending more.
Well, the most expensive guitar I've bought was my B.C Rich, all my Gibsons were gifts. So I can really speak on the subject.
but OP, if your looking at versitile guitars, check out Parker Flys, along with PRS and some Gibsons. My advice, is dont get a guitar with a single coil neck pickup, because from my experiance, there isnt as much versitality when it comes to tone compared to a humbucker.
Quote by monwobobbo
interesting ideas as to what is realistic here. the vast majority of musicians can't afford a $3-5000 guitar and many can't afford half of that.
I would argue that depends on how you define ''musician''. If we're talking about every single person who has ever picked up an instrument of any description then sure, the vast majority will probably never even spend a grand on one instrument, let alone several thousand. But if you take out the bedroom heroes and weekend warriors and stick to the people who are actually making or want to make a living out of playing music, you're going to see things swing the other way. I mean, look at how much some pianos cost, or some violins, cellos and so on. Pretty much any guitar player in a band that tours to decent audiences has at least two or three instruments over the thousand pound or dollar mark. Of course once you start looking at theatre-level bands, Custom Shop instruments start to be a common sight and once you look at the people touring arenas it's rare to see a single instrument worth less than a couple of grand.

Then there's the people such as myself; those who don't consider themselves musicians and to whom guitar is their one or at least main indulgence. How many people end up buying themselves a sports car at some point in their life? How many people splash out on big-screen TVs these days? How many people go on holiday each year? For me, playing guitar isn't a career or even potential career. I just like playing to myself when I want to relax. I don't go on holiday, I don't have a fancy car to take out, I don't watch enough TV to make a 50" plasma screen worth buying. But playing guitar is my break from the world and that's important to me. In that respect I would happily spend what is admittedly a very large chunk of money on a guitar that I enjoy playing and owning. I work hard - I think I am well entitled to spend some of, perhaps even all of, my disposable income on my one pasttime.

Probably worded that horribly but sod it, it's half two in the morning.
Realistically? $2500, tops.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by MrFlibble
Pretty much. Life is far too short to worry about money. You could be dead tomorrow. Make the most of it while you can; there will always be more money.

That's a pretty irresponsible way of looking at things; although I do agree with living each day as if it were your last, you shouldn't just blow your money on whatever catches your eye with the assumption that "there will always be more."

Anyway, I would probably get a guitar custom built for me, for $2,000 tops. Maybe made by Ibanez.
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
Quote by MrFlibble
I would argue that depends on how you define ''musician''. If we're talking about every single person who has ever picked up an instrument of any description then sure, the vast majority will probably never even spend a grand on one instrument, let alone several thousand. But if you take out the bedroom heroes and weekend warriors and stick to the people who are actually making or want to make a living out of playing music, you're going to see things swing the other way. I mean, look at how much some pianos cost, or some violins, cellos and so on. Pretty much any guitar player in a band that tours to decent audiences has at least two or three instruments over the thousand pound or dollar mark. Of course once you start looking at theatre-level bands, Custom Shop instruments start to be a common sight and once you look at the people touring arenas it's rare to see a single instrument worth less than a couple of grand.

Then there's the people such as myself; those who don't consider themselves musicians and to whom guitar is their one or at least main indulgence. How many people end up buying themselves a sports car at some point in their life? How many people splash out on big-screen TVs these days? How many people go on holiday each year? For me, playing guitar isn't a career or even potential career. I just like playing to myself when I want to relax. I don't go on holiday, I don't have a fancy car to take out, I don't watch enough TV to make a 50" plasma screen worth buying. But playing guitar is my break from the world and that's important to me. In that respect I would happily spend what is admittedly a very large chunk of money on a guitar that I enjoy playing and owning. I work hard - I think I am well entitled to spend some of, perhaps even all of, my disposable income on my one pasttime.

Probably worded that horribly but sod it, it's half two in the morning.

Mr f buddy did you read my whole post? yes those who do make a career out of playing music (and we're not talking wanna be's ) will spend more and it's justified. bottom line though is that the bedroom players and week end warriors make up the majority of guitar players buying instruments. while you may put the guitar first it's tough for alot of people to do so. i have a house (gotta keep my guitars somewhere) and a family to pay for. my point is that the average person really won't be in the position to spend huge money on a guitar (amp etc). realistically how many of the guys here that said they'd spend $2000+ on a guitar will really do it, my guess not so many. prsonally i'm a firm believer that you don't need to spend huge money just spend it wisely to achieve a great sound.
in reality, $1500- $2000 but if my GAS was bad enough I could definitely end up spending $3500. I practice buying whatever I see fit so it's all in the situation.
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
Quote by forstringwonder
if i'm in the position to spend 2k on a guitar i will be looking for a vintage gibson es.

more like 20k
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Last year I was gearing up to drop about US$3,800.00 on a Gibson ES-355 Alex Lifeson Signature model, but it was a very limited edition that sold out before I could get one. That's probably a good thing after all. So I guess about US$4,000.00 is my practical limit.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'm getting a Carvin custom job as my next guitar. I'm finally not broke and can afford to now.

It shouldn't run me more than $1,300 or so. Having tried a couple of Carvins out, I doubt I'll ever pay more than $1,500. Maybe up to 2K, but only for something really good - if I'm going to pay two thousand god damn dollars for a guitar it had better fucking cure cancer or prevent baldness or something.
I'm seriously considering guitars that cost in excess of $4000.

Now, I have a list of less expensive guitars on my shopping list in front of them, but still...$4K+.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Currently I wouldn't spend over $700, but that is solely because I am a broke college student (a fine arts major no less ), and my current life-situation doesn't warrant expensive guitars, especially since guitar is not my main instrument.

In the future I would have no problem dropping $5k+ on a guitar if it suited my needs. You don't have to win the lottery, or have a 6 figure job. You just have to know what you want, and make a plan to squirrel away money, and not stop at Starbucks every morning or brown bag it to work instead of eating down the street.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
My own custom American Strat, so that's around 2 grand. If I ever get promoted, or get a better job where I make a shitton of money I will spend up to about 2500 dollars for the perfect guitar, perfect for me anyway. Because really, all I do is buy food and gutiar gear with my extra cash. I haven't bought a new shirt or miscellaneous useless item in months
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
I've spent about 3k and I'd do it again easily. 3500, I wouldn't say it's my limit but there are a few more guitars around 3000-3500 that I would consider buying. There are a few guitars over that value that I would also want but it's not going to kill me not to have them.

There's really only 2 or 3 guitars that I'd even want right now and they all come in under 3500.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
My maximum at the time would be $1000. I spend a lot of my extra money on guitars and gear but I don't have a huge expendable income, I have bills and responsibilities just like anyone else, I know plenty of musicians that play with budget gear but if you can afford high end gear then that's awesome. When I go shopping for a new guitar I make a point of not looking at the price tag unless the guitar jumps out at me.
Sometimes you get a low end gem and sometime you get a high end turd. Personally I'd rather put more money into my amp and less into my guitars.
realistically if i had a well paying job and into my thirties I'd get myself a nice PRS Custom 24, with a top of my choice : ) or a high end caparison.
Page 1 of 3