Hey guys, i was just wondering what you think about the Marshall Valvestate VS265r.
I can get one for 300 bucks off of a guy that used to play music with my uncle. From youtube vids i have watched i like the sound just wanted someone elses opinion as well. I play pretty much anything from softer rock to death metal. Cleans are also important to me as well though.
Thanks.

Don't do it!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The Valvestate looks like a good amp but really isn't.

I've also seen them for less than $250 USD before, so $300 isn't a great price.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by tgamblin
ok then lol. what makes it a trap?

The mediocre-ness of the amp mostly.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
They are rubbish, you may as well buy an MG.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
They are better than an MG in the same way that scarlet fever is better than the bubonic plague.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
They're shit dude. No better than the MG. They handle being turned up slightly better but that's it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by JohnIsMyName
oh boo hoo. get off your high horse.

lol. so liking good things and hating bad things is frowned upon now?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
lol. so liking good things and hating bad things is frowned upon now?

Apparently so.
Oh well; water, ducks back, etc
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Eh, they're not horrible. I got offered an 8280 as a backup amp for $180, and snapped it up. It definitely doesn't have tube like response, but it did an okay job for what it is. Their not really suited to much metal without some kind of pedal (in which case check out early chuck schuldiner tone..)

Bottom line is, for 300 there is way better out there.
The VS series are absolutely terrible. not even really better than the MG series. What you need is the Valvstate 2000 AVT Series. Seriously tons better than the 8100's. Put a new JJ 12ax7 in, throw a tubescreamer in front of it, and you will have a pretty good sounding amp that will rival any other solid state out there.

And because it uses only a preamp tube it still gives a pretty good distortion at low volumes. It's been my goto amp for the last year or so. The 50 watter is still plenty loud

EDIT:I definitely would not pay $300 for one. In reality they shouldn't go for more than like $150-200 at best. But for some reason people think they're worth a lot. I honestly have no idea why. The newer AVT's were dramatically better.
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 20, 2010,
Old VSs are good if you play death metal and want old school DM tones. Newer ones are similar with more flub. Insect Warfare used a VS and sound godly.

As an AVT50 owner I'll tell you they're not that great, even after a speaker upgrade (vital, stock speaker is muddy crap) it sits in my closet while a 26 year old Peavey Bandit 65 that cost me $150CAD gets all the play.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Ignite
Have any of you even played a VS or AVT? (Rhetorical question)

No, in the 5 years I've owned it I've never played it.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
the avt he's playing is pretty much the exact one that i have(well had, actually just sold it today)
Quote by mmolteratx
They're shit dude. No better than the MG. They handle being turned up slightly better but that's it.

Haggle with the guy, $300 USD is a lot for those amps. They are not that great stock. I have two and I did two things make them better. 1st I replaced the pre-amp tube with 12ax7-GT 's from Groove Tubes, I tried other tubes, but the GT's gave me more gain all around. 2nd, I took off the silly little back panel and made a new panel to close up the back and that gave me much better bass response and dropped the harshness of the treble.

Not the best amps around but they will get the job done.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
I agree with Bertallica. I own the 40w one with the tube preamp, and yeah, it's really loud and still better than any MG. But don't expect to be gigging with it for years to come, you'll probably find a way better amp soon. And $300 is pretty steep for one, I paid a hundred bucks for mine.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

I have a name. It is Mitch.
they don't make a 40w model that I know of. I've only heard of 20, 50, 75, 150, i think theres a 100w as well, but not 40
Quote by handbanana
they don't make a 40w model that I know of. I've only heard of 20, 50, 75, 150, i think theres a 100w as well, but not 40

the VS265R is 130watts (65 watts for each speaker)
- Albert Einstein -
thought you were talking about the AVT, not the VS.

and its not 65 watts to each speaker. the amp itself is 65 watts and thats how much is put out through the two of them. I'd bet the speakers themselves are probably between 30-50 watts each. but one really have nothing to do with the other(except that it is suggested to have total speaker output to be roughly 1 1/2 times your amps output)

And just cause it may say 130 watts on the back of the amp, that doesn't mean the amp itself is 130 watts. Usually the number on the back is around double what the actual output is.
Quote by handbanana
thought you were talking about the AVT, not the VS.

and its not 65 watts to each speaker. the amp itself is 65 watts and thats how much is put out through the two of them. I'd bet the speakers themselves are probably between 30-50 watts each. but one really have nothing to do with the other(except that it is suggested to have total speaker output to be roughly 1 1/2 times your amps output)

And just cause it may say 130 watts on the back of the amp, that doesn't mean the amp itself is 130 watts. Usually the number on the back is around double what the actual output is.

Ok, Marshall says each speaker is rated at 65 watts each, that's why it's named the VS265R. This amp is in stereo, the speakers are not wired together.
- Albert Einstein -
but just because the speaker is 65 watts doesn't mean it's putting out 65 watts, that just means thats how much it can handle
i put a LPS in mine, every other tube sounded smaller in it..went nuts over it