Alright, so I've pretty much figured out that I want to make a ska band. I love the genre, but unfortunately I've found that my Epiphone SG, while being a very nice guitar, can't provide the ska sound I'm looking for. If it makes a difference, I have a 100 Watt Fender FM212 DSP amp. I was wondering what guitar could give me the clean, distinct sound I'm looking for, but can also handle some rather heavy distortion (for use in solos, choruses, etc.)

Keep in mind, at 14 years old, I'm on a pretty small budget.
Quote by BrockTandem
Buy a Fender Strat and a Roland JC-120 or Fender Twin.

Interesting you say Strat, I heard many people say a Tele.

Why do you think the Strat would be better?
Tele would be cool for some less-standard ska sounds, catch 22 use one right now, but their guitarist also used to use an SG for years. You could always get an Epi Dot, that's similar to a 335 which Tom plays in Streetlight. It depends on if you play modern heavy ska, or oldschool stuff which is better suited to a Strat or a Jazzmaster.

Edit: read your post. Get a better amp, your guitar is fine. I play ska on my SG, and so do a ton of legit ska bands. Your amp really isn't terrible though, so you may just be EQing it badly.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jul 19, 2010,
ahhh allow me to flap my wings here, when i played ska i used a fender hss strat it has a wide variety of tones that work well but looking back i think a les paul junior is the best way to go with a p-90. that and any fender tube reverb amp. jc-120 is doable but you really should go for a tube fender.

edit: kidna unusual but i know the guitarist from matisyahu and he used a washburn idol and a voc ac30.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Last edited by Skagasm at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by Sid McCall
Tele would be cool for some less-standard ska sounds, catch 22 use one right now, but their guitarist also used to use an SG for years. You could always get an Epi Dot, that's similar to a 335 which Tom plays in Streetlight. It depends on if you play modern heavy ska, or oldschool stuff which is better suited to a Strat or a Jazzmaster.

Edit: read your post. Get a better amp, your guitar is fine. I play ska on my SG, and so do a ton of legit ska bands. Your amp really isn't terrible though, so you may just be EQing it badly.

Alright, I'll work on the amp settings and do some research, see what sounds good.

Thanks man.