partially because I'm not a bassist. However, me and my bassist are talking about getting a good bass amp for him. Budget maybe around $1000-$1500, the largest venue we might play would be a theater(like, a proper theater of 5,000 people).

OH, and can you link me to a bass buyers guide?

And we play metal.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Hmm... I dont know much about bass stuff but i'll say maybe a Behringer amp... They are low cost and do sound very good... Check it out!

-MDP
Do not look at a Behringer amp, especially if your budget is between $1000 and $1500. A tip is that he should spend more on the amp than the bass. The amp is more important. As for specific brands of each, it depends on what kind of music you guys are playing.

foodit: oh, just the amp, well you can have a LOT of fun with $1500 for an amp.

foodit: oh, metal, well it still depends on what kind of sound he is looking for. The metal sound I like comes out of a Spector (bass) running through a Hartke (amp). Can you list some musicians' tones that he likes?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Jul 19, 2010,
god i hope that reply was a troll....

begringer is about as bad as bass amps come.

OP i reckon you'll need at least 500 watts to handle the big gigs.. i'd recommend looking at these brands one youve decided whether you want a combo or a head and cab.

Galien Krueger
Ampeg
Mark Bass
Marshall

heck at 1500 i might even look at mesa-boogie's too
70s VM Jazz
Ibanez ATK300
Peavy Tour 700
Peavy 2x15
GK 4x10
We play a wide range of metal, from Classic Metal(To Sabbath, King Diamond ish) to Modern Metal(Trivium, ATR), and all others in between. A cluster**** of metal, if you will.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
In your price range, and given your musical tastes, you would be hard pressed to do better than a Carvin. This rig will handle any situation you are ever likely to encounter and it is well within your budget:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBR1018

Here you have a fantastic amplifier with plenty of power / headroom, and you can use either or both of the cabinets as you see fit.

For more readily available stuff, check out Ampeg, Markbass and GK (except for their Backline series). There are certainly plenty of other good ones - too many to list in that price range, in fact.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
If I were you i'd go down to the local music shop and look at what they have and fiddle around a bit with the amps there and ask some questions and what not. With $1500 you could get a very solid set-up, Personally, I love playing though a solid ampeg head and a hartke cab my friend lent me, the possibilities are endless. Just find something that suits your likes and needs.
Gear:
Schecter Stiletto Custom 5
Ibanez SR300F
Line 6 LD175
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 15

Quote by Derk'ed
Bass gets you laid. Tell him that.
Peavey makes KILLER bass amps. The tour 450 and 700 are great.
Markbass makes killer cabs too.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by Mafiz
If I were you i'd go down to the local music shop and look at what they have and fiddle around a bit with the amps there and ask some questions and what not. With $1500 you could get a very solid set-up, Personally, I love playing though a solid ampeg head and a hartke cab my friend lent me, the possibilities are endless. Just find something that suits your likes and needs.

This is the way to go. Suggestions from users here only goes so far. Most people will recommend what they use. For instance, I honestly do not like GK. Play around with some amps and find the tone you're looking for. Your budget gives you tons of options. I started with a Behringer full stack and my Ampeg blows it out of the water for days.

On a side note, why would a guitarist suggest Behringer? He should know better...tsk tsk.
Quote by MangeuDePoutine
Hmm... I dont know much about bass stuff but i'll say maybe a Behringer amp... They are low cost and do sound very good... Check it out!

-MDP

To be honest, if it's a theater hall, just get a 300 watt head with a 4x10 cabinet as kind of fold back so you can hear what you're playing.

Getting something like this will cost you about $1000 (I use this combo for live gigs). To produce the sound, I use a wireless transmitter with a receiver channeling through a P.A. system that EVERY hall will have, if it can support 5, 000+ people.

A decent amp to buy that will do you very well in live gigs, as it has done so for me, will be an
Ashdown Bass Cabinet - MAG 4x10T Deep with a Ashdown MAG 300H (300 watt head)

For a bass guitar, specially in metal, you'd want something with a good wood resonance (Such as maple, rosewood, mahogany) to produce a thick tone. You'd also be looking at something with EMG humbuckers, probably better with a 35DC-Active set.

I would recommend, for a bass, to purchase a ESP/LTD f-404 series bass (if you can afford it AU$1500 on average) or, if you're just playing the one gig, buy something simple like an Ibanez SR700, which will cost you around $800-$1200 (depending on seller)

As mentioned above, stay away from Behringer for amps. They are a very good and high quality, across the board, brand. Thus, causing the prices to be very expensive.

Also, as I said before. Put your bass through the P.A. System and use your cabinet so you can hear what you're playing. The studio P.A. will produce a much louder tone for your bass, since they usually have a surround sound, or really large speakers projecting from the roof of the stage and/or the floor.
Quote by NosralTserrof
So I can go

Bass Itself-Effects-Amp-Cab-PA?

You can indeed.

Some Heads (like the Ashdown) have an effects loop in/out.
So you can loop the effects from the head and keep the cable to/from your bass clear...
For 1.5k, Get a good Bag End cabinet... I have a 115 and thought I was going to stack it onto my 410, but running my GK 700RB (excellent head), I don't need anything else.
With a 115, you'd think it'd be all bass but Bag End is just amazing, you lose none of the high end. I've used this for rock, jazz, and metal gigs and at every gig people have commented on my sound.

Haha reading that again it sounds like some cheesy endorsement. I swear that I'm not being paid by them.. They're just amazing cabs.

I don't have much experience with heads, only had a few, but for the past 3 years, I've had a Gallien Krueger 700RB head and loved every second. I do run a Boss Bass EQ pedal through it to round out my sound. Always hated have only 3 er 4 bands.

There's my 2 cents. I've been playing bass for 7 years and wish at one point I could have said "Alright.. I'm buying a new rig... I've got $2,000. Lets go to town." Man, I'd be even more set than I am right now XD. Happy shopping man, with that kind of pocket, you'll have some fun!
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
For metal get a really nice transparent amp, ie hartke, carvin, swr, tc electronics. You want a nice clean attack and nothing to muffle it. . And for some reason here im thinking two 2x12 cabs would be amazing. But go try stuff out and see what you like, you may set a new trend.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul