This may be a stupid question, but what is the main difference between these two Fenders? The price is the same for either guitar and for the most part the reviews on them are pretty much the same also. I guess what I'm really asking is which one is a better buy (I know many of you are going to say it's up to the player so I'm really asking in your opinion which is better)? I've heard the tone on the HSS described as "fatter" and I'm not even sure what that means.

btw I'm specifically talking about the Fender American Standard and American Standard HSS.
Last edited by AndrewB24 at Jul 19, 2010,
Considering I haven't played either (which is one of the reasons I'm asking), you're response doesn't help me at all. Also, I never mentioned I was interested in buying one, just curious about the differences so please don't tell me what I am and am not ready to own.
Last edited by AndrewB24 at Jul 19, 2010,
I play an SSH, mostly becuase I like to turn the gain up and switch the Humbucker on every once and awhile. I've heard people get some mean crunch out of Standards, but not nearly as much as the SSH.

The humbuckers the difference. Huge tonal difference.

*Edit: Excuse my pick-up setup dyslexia, HSS
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Last edited by gizmodious at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by gizmodious

*Edit: Excuse my pick-up setup dyslexia, HSS

Don't you mean lesdyxia? jk
Quote by AndrewB24
Considering I haven't played either (which is one of the reasons I'm asking), you're response doesn't help me at all. Also, I never mentioned I was interested in buying one, just curious about the differences so please don't tell me what I am and am not ready to own.

sorry man. just makes me mad when people buy expensive guitars and have no idea what they do. but i'm still confused as to why you're asking. the difference is just the humbucker with is quite obvious. they have a huge sound difference. thats it. thats all there is to it.
HSS strats are much more versatile.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by User_Name336
sorry man. just makes me mad when people buy expensive guitars and have no idea what they do. but i'm still confused as to why you're asking. the difference is just the humbucker with is quite obvious. they have a huge sound difference. thats it. thats all there is to it.

I'm with you man

TS, they're exactly the same except one has a single coil pickup in the bridge and the other has a humbucker. Tonally a single coil basically gives you a bit more twang and humbuckers are warmer and fatter sounding by comparison.

ie. one is not better than the other, it is entirely personal preference as to what sound you're after.

EDIT: ^better? tell that to Eric Johnson. Tone is subjective, I'll agree the humbucker makes the guitar more versatile though.
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by User_Name336

Thanks for the apology and the straightforward answer. Ha seriously that's all I was really wondering and you just told me. The reason I wanted to know was just out of pure curiosity and since I haven't had the chance to compare the two firsthand I wanted to know other people's thoughts.
i find the bridge pickup on the sss very weak and too tinny sounding. having a humbucker at the bridge resolves this issue.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Also, since the guitars are routed H-S-H, you can buy either one and later it's an easy mod to be the other.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.