So Mesa is kinda the standard for modern metal, does avatar stand up?

The avatar is like 400 cheaper than the Mesa. Everyone seems to have good feedback on avatar.
Guitars
Amps
Avatar will sound good but IMO the Mesa Cabs accept draped mics better, like the Sennheiser e609 and e906. The Mesa Rectifier cab will have more and looser low end, whereas the Avatar 412 will be more similar to the Mesa Stiletto cab which is tighter and overall a little better sounding for live solo guitar applications. It's hard to replace the Rectifier cab's sound with anything, whereas the Stiletto's cab is replicated by many less expensive companies. The biggest difference will be in build quality, though I can say that my Avatar 212 has served me well for four years (although I never put it through any abuse whatsoever even when gigging). I would go with Avatar if you are set on buying new, otherwise go for a Stiletto 412 used, I think it would serve your amps better.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

I've never heard a single bad remark about avatar cabs. Never owned one, but they certainly have a positive reputation. Another popular metal cab i've heard is Vaders, apparently they're really good. Might be worth looking into. But yeah, absolutely never heard anything negative about Avatars.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
mesa's standard (stiletto now?) are pretty good cabs. good specs, good speakers, but you're paying for the name mostly. the oversized recto cab has a huge bottom end that doesn't sound good with certain amps (turns muddy and muffled). other amps benefit from it (lack of highs or if it has a tight bottom end) and can sound incredible.

the avatar is just a cheaper alternate. you could look into orange, egnater tourmaster, marshalls with v 30s, hughes and kettner, etc. try out some higher end ones, and some lower end ones. see what you like and base your choice from that. hell, you could even buy a cheapie cab, and replace the speakers with what YOU like (a line 6 cab for example and change up speakers). go crazy man! and good luck!
MEsa 4x12 OS is hand down like 10x better than any avatar i've owned

However for the Nitro look at a Krank Cabs, and marshall with greenbacks, ro a splawn cab. Nitro with V30's does not work so well
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Mills Acoustic.

Expensive but awesome.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
a used mesa and a new avatar should be about the same price.
imo the mesa is built a bit better then the avatar.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer