So I'm just about to place my order from Musician's Friend online for my Blackstar HT-5 combo.
It's gonna run me $400 USD, I have about $500 to blow and I can't find another amp that beats this one.. Low wattage (A must for me), headphone output (AWESOME), great OD channel..

BUT... I do have some last minute questions. Seeing as I'll have about $100 left over, is there anything I should order with this amp that would just make it shine even more? A few things I was thinking of were:
1- Boost pedal
2- EQ pedal
3- Any ideas from anyone?

What would be a good choice, as well as specific pedals? I've of course been looking at obvious ones such as a TS-9 and Fish n' Chips, but I'm just wondering what would be best. A good OD pedal to tighten up my amps gain? Or should I just slap an EQ pedal in the loop to make it better?

I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to pedals, never had much experience outside my Boss DS-1 and my Arion delay.

Come this Wednesday, I'll have another $50 pocketed and possibly tomorrow might be getting $10 more for doing a little work.
ANOTHER THING: I could be getting $100 for all my old PS2 stuff tomorrow as well.. But I'll slap some EDIT's in here if need be to arrange my final budget.

What would be a good choice in the range of pedals for me? A boost, EQ, or even something else?
Budget: We'll keep it at $100 for right now..

I'm a metal player, but I love my cleans, no death-metal or anything, so I am not looking for a distortion pedal. I think some sort of OD would just help boost the amps gain. (Let me know if I'm wrong here..?)
Personally, I'd go for a Badmonkey instead of a TS-9. Similar and cheaper than the TS.

Lastly, definently get new cables. Refresh the old ones, if you're going to get a new rig, get new leads - you'll want to hear everything.

Plus additional leads for the Effects loop.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by silly hats at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by silly hats
Personally, I'd go for a Badmonkey instead of a TS-9. Similar and cheaper than the TS.

Lastly, definently get new cables. Refresh the old ones, if you're going to get a new rig, get new leads - you'll want to hear everything.

Plus additional leads for the Effects loop.

Right after I posted I began looking at cables. My old ones are crap, and I for sure need a 6" patch cable to connect my two pedals I already own (Of course if I get something like the Bad Monkey it'll replace my DS-1.. Still leaving me with 2 pedals), I'm sick of using a 6 foot long cable to connect two pedals that are right next to each other..

I've been really looking for a used bad monkey on CL and elsewhere, no one is selling one. So yeah maybe I'll just order one

I don't really have a "rig", no gigging, I'm solely bedroom (It's my own enjoyment). Probably going to feel stupid here.. What's a lead?
"Lead" is another term for cable. If you can afford it, I would pick up a cheap EQ in addition to a Bad Monkey. Maybe the Dano 7-band, just for a wider variety of sounds and more tweakability. And if you have the money, I would spring for some good cables, maybe a nice Planet Waves or Monster cable. And you never know, a band opportunity might just come along.
Quote by qotsa1998
"Lead" is another term for cable. If you can afford it, I would pick up a cheap EQ in addition to a Bad Monkey. Maybe the Dano 7-band, just for a wider variety of sounds and more tweakability. And if you have the money, I would spring for some good cables, maybe a nice Planet Waves or Monster cable. And you never know, a band opportunity might just come along.

I've got a good monster cable, quite possibly the best one I've ever owned and the only one that has never failed.

Other than that single cable, I've got sh*tty cheap ones. I'm probably willing to spend more than $100 if I'm going to [basically] upgrade EVERYTHING except my guitar.

Everything is going to be pretty smooth after this.. Great new amp, decent pedals, new cables, I'm getting my Schecter it's first pro setup..

EDIT:

Here's what I've got so far
-Blackstar HT-5 combo [$399.99]
-Danelectro 7-band EQ [$29.99]
-Digitech Bad Monkey [$43.35]

Total is $473.33 as of right now. Does anyone know of decent CHEAP patch cables? I was looking at this , which is $13.59.. I'll just use these to connect my Bad Monkey and Arion Delay, and [Possibly?] my EQ pedal.. Or does this go in the FX loop??

I have another question about FX Loops, I honestly have no idea how to properly do it. Do I use a regular guitar cable to connect a pedal to the amp, through the back?
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I've got a good monster cable, quite possibly the best one I've ever owned and the only one that has never failed.

Other than that single cable, I've got sh*tty cheap ones. I'm probably willing to spend more than $100 if I'm going to [basically] upgrade EVERYTHING except my guitar.

Everything is going to be pretty smooth after this.. Great new amp, decent pedals, new cables, I'm getting my Schecter it's first pro setup..

EDIT:

Here's what I've got so far
-Blackstar HT-5 combo [$399.99]
-Danelectro 7-band EQ [$29.99]
-Digitech Bad Monkey [$43.35]

Total is $473.33 as of right now. Does anyone know of decent CHEAP patch cables? I was looking at this , which is $13.59.. I'll just use these to connect my Bad Monkey and Arion Delay, and [Possibly?] my EQ pedal.. Or does this go in the FX loop??

I have another question about FX Loops, I honestly have no idea how to properly do it. Do I use a regular guitar cable to connect a pedal to the amp, through the back?

Those are good cables to use, and I guess you would say you do use a "regular guitar cable" for the fx loop haha. But that is a pretty good setup for the Blackstar
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
Quote by Fives
Those are good cables to use, and I guess you would say you do use a "regular guitar cable" for the fx loop haha. But that is a pretty good setup for the Blackstar

I'm not so term-savvy with all this stuff, I'm really just getting my feet wet with quality amps, guitars, and even cables and effects..

But thanks man
I guess I'll go ahead and checkout!
Click that checkout and dont forget about the NGD thread. haha Just love to see some new gear.
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
dont forget to get power supplies for your pedals!
it'll save you a lot of money and heart ache.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by Fives
Click that checkout and dont forget about the NGD thread. haha Just love to see some new gear.

By the weekend I should have everything

And OF COURSE I'll make a NGD thread.

^EDIT: AH CRAP I should get a Onespot, yeah?? I have a single 9v adapter for my Boss DS-1, it's just a Boss PSA..

CRAP.
Most of those pedals can go in front of the amp. The delay and perhaps the EQ can go in the loop. You'll need longer cables to connect things in and out of the loop, of course, since you'll have two cables coming and going from the amp in addition to the input.
Quote by Roc8995
Most of those pedals can go in front of the amp. The delay and perhaps the EQ can go in the loop. You'll need longer cables to connect things in and out of the loop, of course, since you'll have two cables coming and going from the amp in addition to the input.

When I order these cables and such, I'll have 4 decent cables and one pretty crappy one, but a cable non-the-less, will that be enough for all this? I'm slightly confused at how all this will work, but once I have the physical items in front of me to mess with I'll probably figure it out.

Also, should I order a onespot power adapter along with all this? I'll buy the 5 cable multi-plug for it, so it can power all my pedals.. is that a good idea?
Ok, you need one cable from your guitar to your DS-1, probably 15 feet or so.
Patch cable between the DS-1 and the BM.
Cable from the BM to the amp, probably 5-10 feet.
Cable from FX loop send to the EQ, 5-10 feet.
Patch cable between EQ and Delay.
Cable from delay to FX return, 5-10 feet.

So, one long cable, three medium depending on how far from pedals to amp, and two patch cables.
Alternatively, you can not use the loop and just use one cable to your pedals, three patch cables, and one to the amp.

Yes, the one-spot should work pretty well for all of that.
Quote by Roc8995
Ok, you need one cable from your guitar to your DS-1, probably 15 feet or so.
Patch cable between the DS-1 and the BM.
Cable from the BM to the amp, probably 5-10 feet.
Cable from FX loop send to the EQ, 5-10 feet.
Patch cable between EQ and Delay.
Cable from delay to FX return, 5-10 feet.

So, one long cable, three medium depending on how far from pedals to amp, and two patch cables.
Alternatively, you can not use the loop and just use one cable to your pedals, three patch cables, and one to the amp.

Yes, the one-spot should work pretty well for all of that.

Thanks, a lot.

Okay so updated total.. $527.19..
Got rid of that 3 pack patch cable, just got 2 individual Live Wire patches. 4 bucks a piece.. Why not.
also order a couple of picks and strings, i do this every time i buy anything and i never seem to run out of strings
Lets jump in a pool

Quote by I am wet
also order a couple of picks and strings, i do this every time i buy anything and i never seem to run out of strings

I'm already like $30 over my limit
I will next time I get a few bucks. For now I'm pretty much spent.

But I bet I'll be damn happy.
Are you ordering on MF? You can probably get a few of those items used, and save 10% with the code they have up.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'm already like $30 over my limit
I will next time I get a few bucks. For now I'm pretty much spent.

But I bet I'll be damn happy.

have fun!
Lets jump in a pool

Quote by Roc8995
Are you ordering on MF? You can probably get a few of those items used, and save 10% with the code they have up.

I looked to see if they had anything used, even the HT-5, they must have sold their last used one, because just this morning they had 2 used ones still there for like 319 instead of 399.. I almost jumped on it but I didn't have the cash until tonight to give to my grandfather
keep in mind that the blue monkey has more of a bluesy type distortion, whereas a tubescreamer would be much more warm and crunchy. will add a lot more warmth to your tone than the bad monkey. You might even like one of them in conjunction with the DS-1. Uses multiple overdrives together can produce cool sounds

Also instead of the danelectro eq, I would suggest the MXR 6 or 10 bands eq. The 10 band is ideal, but the 6 is still good.

EDIT:Just realize you already placed your order, oh well