When I'm not playing I have all these great riffs and solo ideas in my head but as soon as I touch my guitar, boom, they disappear. Can't remember a thing. Can't think of anything else for the life of me. So I just mindlessly play scales instead. Anything I can do?
Write them down before hand?

Solved my problem. I remember doing the same thing ,being in too much of a rush to realize what I had, and then forgot it.

So I wrote them down as quick as possible and as much as I could remember.
Quote by space aids
When I'm not playing I have all these great riffs and solo ideas in my head but as soon as I touch my guitar, boom, they disappear. Can't remember a thing. Can't think of anything else for the life of me. So I just mindlessly play scales instead. Anything I can do?

Don't resort to mindlessly playing scales. Keep your mind focused.

If you can't transfer the ideas in your head to your guitar you likely lack experience playing music on your guitar. ( I mean like full songs memorized, not bits and pieces from tab).

try to imagine some ideas.... but actually think of the guitar.. How you'd play it, how it sounds. With experience, that can be done.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Don't resort to mindlessly playing scales. Keep your mind focused.

If you can't transfer the ideas in your head to your guitar you likely lack experience playing music on your guitar. ( I mean like full songs memorized, not bits and pieces from tab).

try to imagine some ideas.... but actually think of the guitar.. How you'd play it, how it sounds. With experience, that can be done.

That's what I do, but I'm saying as soon as I pick up the guitar I can't remember.
Quote by swarley
Sing them into a voice recorder.

This. Hum or sing or beatbox or just make catchy noises, it doesnt matter.

Also, you want to train your ears recognizing notes and/or intervals. It doesnt just help figuring out the notes you hear with your ears, but also helps figuring out the notes you hear 'in your head'.