If I decided to route a space for a humbucker on my stratocaster? My guitar is a very valuable so I'm worried it will damage the value of the guitar.
uhmmm, counts what year strat?
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Quote by Winman9999
uhmmm, counts what year strat?

MIA 1994, 54' reissue, 40th anniversary edition.
Last edited by SmokeJs at Jul 19, 2010,
are you sure it's not routed already? Most strats are factory routed HSH IIRC but it's only the pickguards that determine what pups go it.

So buying a new pickguard may solve your problems and if it's prewired it will require no permanent modifications.
It might. But realistically, you can always take the humbucker out and put a single coil back in and put a single coil pickguard on it.

Who would know the difference? Some might have had the bridge spot routed for a humbucker

Since it's not really visible and it doesn't really affect anything, I don't think the value would decrease all that much.
Quote by Tedward
are you sure it's not routed already? Most strats are factory routed HSH IIRC but it's only the pickguards that determine what pups go it.

So buying a new pickguard may solve your problems and if it's prewired it will require no permanent modifications.

I didn't know most strats came routed. Do even the older models come routed? Mine is 10+ years old.
Take off the pick guard and see if it's routed. If it isn't it's up to you on if you want to touch it.

If in 20-40 years you decide to sell it. Most serious collectors looking for specific years, models, finishes, etc will want to see the guitar taken apart to see the dates on everything. No different than what most do these days on old strats. If it isn't original it generally hurts the value when it becomes vintage/collectable/desirable/whatever.

But it is your guitar. Do what you want to do and have fun with it.
pretty sure.

I think the fact it's a 54 RI, if they had done it up to original specs it may be only SSS, or perhaps just a huge single cavity? I don't really know.

You should check it quick.
Quote by fibaz
Take off the pick guard and see if it's routed. If it isn't it's up to you on if you want to touch it.

If in 20-40 years you decide to sell it. Most serious collectors looking for specific years, models, finishes, etc will want to see the guitar taken apart to see the dates on everything. No different than what most do these days on old strats. If it isn't original it generally hurts the value when it becomes vintage/collectable/desirable/whatever.

But it is your guitar. Do what you want to do and have fun with it.

I do, it is a great guitar!
Quote by Tedward
pretty sure.

I think the fact it's a 54 RI, if they had done it up to original specs it may be only SSS, or perhaps just a huge single cavity? I don't really know.

You should check it quick.

Upon further review this guitar DOES have a slot for a humbucker. This thread was a result of me being lazy.
Last edited by SmokeJs at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by cSuttle
That would probably take the resale value to almost nothing. Don't do it if you are worried about resale.

Like I said the guitar has always had the slot for the humbucker. I just wanted to know because this guitar will probably be a hot collecters item in the future.

Also I was wondering... if I changed the pickups will that effect the value, will they somehow be able to find out? I put Kinmen pickups in my strat but I still have the original pickups.
Last edited by SmokeJs at Jul 20, 2010,
Not really sure how that works, it might lower it simply because it doesn't have the original parts, might raise it because it has better parts than the original. But I'd have to say the former is more likely, and if so, you really would just have to solder the old ones back in, assuming you ever had/wanted to sell.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Why not just put a hot rails or HS-3 in it?....or buy a cheaper strat and mod it....I wouldn't do it....if I were you I would think of why u want a humbucker is it for hum removal? Maybe try a noise suppressior...is it for more gain? Maybe try a gainier pedal or amp....just a thought
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by rdobson2
Why not just put a hot rails or HS-3 in it?....or buy a cheaper strat and mod it....I wouldn't do it....if I were you I would think of why u want a humbucker is it for hum removal? Maybe try a noise suppressior...is it for more gain? Maybe try a gainier pedal or amp....just a thought

Kinman pickups are basically humbuckers, they're noiseless. I just wanted to try a humbucker in my strat just because. I wanted to compare and contrast the kinmans to a Seymore Duncan humbucker of some sort.
If you butcher the body the value drops 50% minimum. If you want a guitar with a humbucker in it buy one.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
as long as you have the original parts and have done nothing to it that is permanent then you are good for resale.
Quote by SmokeJs
Kinman pickups are basically humbuckers, they're noiseless. I just wanted to try a humbucker in my strat just because. I wanted to compare and contrast the kinmans to a Seymore Duncan humbucker of some sort.

Ok cool.. Yeah if its got it routed go for it...if u ever wanna resale just put the original parts back in....a lot of people do this..the duncan pearly gates mixes well with a strat bro
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by SmokeJs
Like I said the guitar has always had the slot for the humbucker. I just wanted to know because this guitar will probably be a hot collecters item in the future.

Also I was wondering... if I changed the pickups will that effect the value, will they somehow be able to find out? I put Kinmen pickups in my strat but I still have the original pickups.

If you ever sell it, put the original pickups back in it. That's what people do with Gibson's and you situation is no different.

As long as the original stuff is there, it doesn't really matter. If a collector wants it, all he really wants is the original parts, hardware and pickups. Especially because sometimes things like wiring has to be fixed/replaced, anyway.