I am looking for a good pop punk bass sound. I have a fender p-bass special and an ampeg ba115 bass amp. What settings on my bass amp should i use to get a sound similar to blink 182?
pick at the bridge, tone all the way on, bass around 3 o'clock, mids around 4 o'clock, treb all the way up, 1 on the tone shaper thingy.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by atbassaf
I am looking for a good pop punk bass sound. I have a fender p-bass special and an ampeg ba115 bass amp. What settings on my bass amp should i use to get a sound similar to blink 182?

I would have thought a 1x15 would be too dark sounding for Hoppus's tone.
Quote by Spaz91
I would have thought a 1x15 would be too dark sounding for Hoppus's tone.

i run my p bass into an acoustic b 200,and i just crank the highs. it sounds pretty good. i also use the same amp he has at church, and i use those settings on it too.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
I play pop-punk, but not really Blink182 style.

As far as tone though, I dig the more up-front bass presence of Mike Dirnt, especially on the album Insomniac.

P bass -> Tone all the way up, and backed off just a hair -> GK 400rb (master:to taste, Low:noon, Low-mid:2, hi-mid:3, Treb:11, bass-boost(gain):9-noon)

Pick between the bridge and the P pickup with a heavy gauge pick (1.5mm-2mm).

Don't boost the treble too much, especially if your guitarist uses a lot of distortion. You'll get buried in the mix. Push the mids and lows and you're golden.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Hellhammerr
Turn the amp off? I just listened to "Blink 182" and couldn't hear the bass.

Theres loads of songs i can hear Hoppus on :S Carousell,Whats my age again (the start in particular),Feeling this(chorus),i miss you.

its typical ampeg affair,Mark was always fond of his mids and what is known as the frowny face EQ which is boosted mids,i.

If your ampeg has a 3 band heres what i roughly use on a 3-band EQ setup heres a rough of mines im not in my house at the moment so i can just hook up my amp so its vague as hell.

P-bass (tone and vol full to the max)

EQ
Bass-12 o'clock (midway)
Mids (maxed as high as possible).
Treble- maxed to an extent but rollled off a little.

Also realyl bright strings helps a bucketload in Pop Punk :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Treble isn't as important as your mids, and depending on what kind of tone you want boost mids and high mids or mids and low mids... also make sure you have enough lows in there so you still hold down the low end.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by Hellhammerr
Turn the amp off? I just listened to "Blink 182" and couldn't hear the bass.

Ok enough with the spam. Warned.

I am going to second about using a pick and make sure you dial in your mids. It will give you the punch you are looking for.
Quote by primusclaypool1
i also use the same amp he has at church, and i use those settings on it too.

Mark Hoppus has a bass amp at church?
LMAO

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Bassist Rising
Mark Hoppus has a bass amp at church?
LMAO

I lol'd

I read somewhere Mark just pushes everything up and plays.
wouldn't surprise me.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
its sad you can't really hear bass in most pop punk songs. i dont even know what pop punk is. its more like emo. listen to real punkrock...er but anyway. light pingy bass tone, lots of trebble, a good amount of mid, less bass than anything, total tone (if you can): pickup near the bridge only, pick down there too.
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
Quote by LicenseToPunk
its sad you can't really hear bass in most pop punk songs. i dont even know what pop punk is. its more like emo. listen to real punkrock...er but anyway. light pingy bass tone, lots of trebble, a good amount of mid, less bass than anything, total tone (if you can): pickup near the bridge only, pick down there too.

You really should have just ended here.

No one, out of the dozens of pop-punk bands i have had shows/fests/gone on tour with, have EVER had a 'light pingy' bass tone. In fact, most of them have less trebble than anything else.

In fact, the couple times my band has played with Dillinger 4, Pat has BOOSTED the low end above even the mids.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by LicenseToPunk

Nah Ian G-NFG's tone live is the prime example of amazing bass tone in a punk enviro.For example when they do a cover of no reason why.Or start their ISHC antics so much of a laugh.

pop punk and the term was coined with the ramones aswell :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Last edited by Razgriz_101 at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by LicenseToPunk

list to real emo, not what the TV tells you is emo.

Anyway, I'd agree for the pick usage and boosts of mids. It's good that you have a P-Bass because you need it. Also, pictures and videos show him actually picking at around the pick up, which does matter. I can't help you with this part, but he also uses Quarter Pounders. I'm not sure what you have to do with your EQ to get that sort of sound without having them.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....