I thought I'd try something different.
Give some variety from those, "What pickups" threads and the like.

I Went to Home Depot today, and purchased my first item over 50 dollars there.
Since there was no band saws used... I had to buy new, which is fine.

It's a Ryobi 9" Bandsaw.

First impression: Looking good
Second Impression: Kickass!

It's got a nice handy light.
Currently, it's not bolted to anything. I just put 2 c-clamps to hold it down. Eventually I will make a stand for it(Eventually is tomorrow). I don't trust the stand I have it on now. it shakes whenever I turn the Band Saw on.

Enough talk, more pics:

I still need to adjust everything. The tracking is off a tiny bit.

It's got a nice protractor built in.

I'd reccomend this to a first-time owner, hobbyist, or someone who wants a light portable band saw.
This isn't as good as the ones at my school but those are the really high-end types.

In total, I paid 180 dollars Canadian.
150 for the Band Saw
30 for the tax.
Goddamned "Harmonized" Sales tax. Wish I bought this a couple months ago, could've saved 20 dollars. Whoever thought of HST, should be sent to the guillotine. Serious.

I'm also going to buy a used drill press soon. 45 dollars. IT's a definite improvement on my hand drill.
http://classifieds.castanet.net/showproduct.php/product/628423/cat/125
That's the Drill Press.

I also built a jig, that Bobby told me about...
It's a Router jig, so that a router can be used as a planer.
I just need to buy a bit. I saw this one bit, that was about 3-4" in diameter. Gonna get that one. Also, I need to buy som 1/2" and 1/8" straight bits, but they need to be 1 1/2" long.

I'm going to make a body on this Band Saw, and sell it. I just wanna test out all my new tools. Guitars the perfect thing to test it on.
..I was watching my death.
Nice

I gotta get me some tools so I can start building guitars by myself. First I gotta get a place to put any tools though...

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
get a lathe. they are cool

edit:

tool?

Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Last edited by rushpython at Jul 20, 2010,
Thanks.

You don't need a bed do you?

I don't wanna lathe. Well, I want one, just no need. If I have the sudden want for a baseball bat, or table tegs; I'll get one.
I had the first version of that saw and hated it. I could never keep it adjusted, the blade bend are aweful, and the blade kept slipping the belt. I have looked at this one. Hope it better then the first model. There have been quite a few design changes.

Only ryobe tool I've ever hated. There drill press is great at $99 US.
The low-end drill press from Ryobi is 150 in Canada.
Judging by all the reviews: Improvements were made.
I haven't had much experience with it yet, so I cant prove, or Disprove what you said about the old model, but in the new model. /little sense made
Awesome, drill presses are very very handy, as is the belt saw.

Taxes I'm not so sure about...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I would get a new blade for it. The bladrs that come with just about any low end saw (bandsaw, table saw, radial arm saw, etc.) suck. Look at Woodcraft or Rockler for other brands.
Quote by timbit2006
The low-end drill press from Ryobi is 150 in Canada.
Judging by all the reviews: Improvements were made.
I haven't had much experience with it yet, so I cant prove, or Disprove what you said about the old model, but in the new model. /little sense made

After you've had it a while, I'll be interested to hear your review. I really need to buy a new one myself.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Awesome, drill presses are very very handy, as is the belt saw.

Taxes I'm not so sure about...

Belt saw?
Band saw you mean?

Taxes... Not handy. Don't do taxes.
I was actually originally planning to buy a new blade right away, but from a different store. I got to the till, did that goddamned self-checkout thing and thought I fed in to many 20 dollar bills. I was supposed to have 3 left in my wallet
That was my Blade money right there, gone to this new shitty tax.

cSuttle,
Will do. Expect a review soon.

I'm going to get my Grandpa to some over this weekend, and help me with setting it up and everything.
Quote by timbit2006
In total, I paid 180 dollars Canadian.
150 for the Band Saw
30 for the tax.
Goddamned "Harmonized" Sales tax. Wish I bought this a couple months ago, could've saved 20 dollars. Whoever thought of HST, should be sent to the guillotine. Serious.

I never want to hear an American bitch about sales tax ever again. I used to work at McDonalds back in my home town and we had like a 6 month .5% sales tax increase to fund some park renovations. You would not believe the endless whining I heard from all those people when their Big Mac meal went up 2 cents. What those people didn't think to realize was that if they spent $100 a week every week for those 6 months they would have given the parks a grand total of $13. Same with the new Twins stadium, I heard plenty of complaining about a .15% tax increase to fund that.

Anyway, I hope the bandsaw works for you!
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
They seriously bitched about that? Wow...
That's ridiculous.
This HST is really Provincial Sales tax and Government sales tax merged. Which is stupid.
PST used to be exempt on quite a bit of stuff. Food, clothes, tools, Work items, Quite a bit of stuff. Too much to name.
On a good note:
MY family may be moving to a new house, 5 acres of land, and on that land, there is a house... and... A gigantic garage, with a basement. all for my tools!
Basement will be my studio, and part of it will be my bedroom. I'm phyced for that, if it does happen.

Oh, also...
Got another nice tool. Will put it in another post, 'cause this one is really a rant
So, New tools today.
Well, one really. Stands don't count.

I got this used for 40 dollars. Works awesomely.

It also came with a stand. Which is made of metal.

It has changable speeds. Just gotta figure out how to loosen the belt. Haven't had much time to use it yet. Well, I used it quite a bit, just not aquantained with it yet.

I need to buy a set of forstner bits also. I think I have some old ones, lying around. Not in the package though.

Also built a table for my band saw.
99.99% of vibrations and swaying are gone now.

I also built a router jig, that allows me to plane.
Built it last Sunday.
Oh, and Bobby(I can't remember your account name ) suggested it to me.

And that, may possible be the conclusion to my New Tool Day(s)

Next on the list is
Planer
Disk Sander
Jointer
Wont get those untill Christmas time, gonna get a job in September.

I think I may have started a whole new type of threads here
New Tool Day Threads. I can see it in the future.
Everywhere... Overwhelming GB&C.
Nooo! What have I done!
So...
I just went to a barbeque at my uncles house(Family is in town)
And...
He gave me a Scroll Saw!
A Delta Scroll saw to be more specific.
He got a new one, that's a Dremel brand.
I don't have any blades for it right now, 'cause he didn't have any spares. I'm not complaining though.
He said he bought it at a garage sale for 15 bucks.
It works perfect. It's quiet too.

I need to make a stand for it. It's clamped to my Portable work table thing right now, which rattles a lot if you have it on there. When I sit on the table while the saws on, It's very quiet.

Should have pictures of it tomorrow night.
Just thought I'd add that to this thread.

One last thing:
I'm going to ask my Grandpa this question because he is a woodworker/mechanic:
I'm going to ask him, since he goes to every single garage sale there is to look for tools for me.
whats the bandsaw like so far? what kind of things are you using it for?
I was considering getting one, but its like $269AU and a full size bandsaw is only $100 more...
i'm kinda looking to sell my 9" bandsaw... wonder if any of the UGers would want it...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by Chris Chan
whats the bandsaw like so far? what kind of things are you using it for?
I was considering getting one, but its like $269AU and a full size bandsaw is only $100 more...

Well, it can cut oak decently well.
New blade is required though.
The tips of my fingers are tingling when I type, and it feels wierd, so I'm going to stop typing.
Will answer this fully tomorrow.