So, as previously mentioned in one of my other threads. I'm customizing my bass.

B.C. Rich Warlock Platinum Series with P-style pickups.

I've decided to go with the following alterations:

- Removing P-style pickups, routing the bass and getting EMG 35DC-Active set pickups

- Removing the current bridge routing the bridge area and putting a deep style, through body hipshot design bridge

- And finally, getting an airbrush design on the body of my bass - THIS IS WHERE I NEED HELP.

So I have a design in mind, I have someone who can do it for me but it's mostly DIY. I'm buying an air compressor to support up to 80PSI to give me enough compression to use the spray gun and all this and that. However, one thing I've noticed (before I've even started sanding down my bass) is that the current coat of paint if thick.

So here's my question. How do I get a thick coat of paint, while still been able to get the airbrush finish that I desire? If I coat it with a first layer of paint and let it set, will the second layer adhere to the first layer?

If you've had experience with this, could you tell me how I can achieve this?, What stages of painting would I need before completing an airbrush design on my bass and before I lacquer it?

Thanks in advance

-Chad
Steps (a rough outline):
1) sand your bass down. You could simply rough up the current finish, but you'd probably be better off sanding down to bare wood. I recommend a random orbital sander, as long as you're careful and go slowly.
2) First layer is primer. This gives subsequent layers of paint something to stick to.
3) Base color. Whatever color you want to be the base color of your bass, whatever will be behind the airbrush work. I couldn't recommend how many layers you should do, I've only done 1 or 2 refinishes. Just spray evenly, and don't try and completely cover it in one concentrated pass. Avoid drips and runs if you can, it'll be less of a headache later.
4) I would assume (since I've never airbrushed a guitar) that this would be when you airbrush your design on top, right before finishing.

EDIT: may I suggest taking this question to GB&C? They are very experienced and knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of thing, and will give a more comprehensive and detailed answer.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jul 20, 2010,
Remember to cover up any holes with tape such as where the pickups would be etc. because if you paint in the gap then the pickup may not fit in when you are finished.

http://www.bakercustomguitars.com/images/dsc_0506.jpg
See what I mean, the guy has covered some of the gaps with... something, to stop paint getting in.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Apoldelyne_891
So, as previously mentioned in one of my other threads. I'm customizing my bass.

B.C. Rich Warlock Platinum Series with P-style pickups.

I've decided to go with the following alterations:

- Removing P-style pickups, routing the bass and getting EMG 35DC-Active set pickups

- Removing the current bridge routing the bridge area and putting a deep style, through body hipshot design bridge

- And finally, getting an airbrush design on the body of my bass - THIS IS WHERE I NEED HELP.

So I have a design in mind, I have someone who can do it for me but it's mostly DIY. I'm buying an air compressor to support up to 80PSI to give me enough compression to use the spray gun and all this and that. However, one thing I've noticed (before I've even started sanding down my bass) is that the current coat of paint if thick.

So here's my question. How do I get a thick coat of paint, while still been able to get the airbrush finish that I desire? If I coat it with a first layer of paint and let it set, will the second layer adhere to the first layer?

If you've had experience with this, could you tell me how I can achieve this?, What stages of painting would I need before completing an airbrush design on my bass and before I lacquer it?

Thanks in advance

-Chad

What are you actually trying to do, design wise?

Primer, probably base coat and all clear coats should be done with spray cans (I assume you don't have a large compressor and spray gun).

Only use the airbrush for airbrush work.

Why do you want a thick coat of paint?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!