Hey!

So i recently bought a Schecter Stilletto 5 string bass. and its everything i wanted and more, like its just amazing to me. I have one question tho, What is the point of the Low B String? and what do people normally use it for? Like ive never actually used the lowest string yet, but im a bass noob so i dont really know whats the point.

So can anyone just explain to me what the advantages are?
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
i have an extremely similar bass, the schecter 5-string hellraiser bass. I originally got it with the low B. Most often its used in the many types of metal and stuff, and alsom it gives easier access to notes, because you dont have to jump too much all over the fretboard and stuff. In my experience, i didn;t really like it and didnt use it, so i went and bought myself a 6-string set and put on a high C instead of the low B because i like playing stuff on the high frets and it just feels great to me. Idk if that helped but i hope it did.

to put it shorty, the low B is used mostly in metal and stuff and for easier access to different notes.
Quote by hellbasser
to put it shorty, the low B is used mostly in metal and stuff and for easier access to different notes.

Bull-****ing-shit! The whole point of adding an extra string is to increase the range of notes one may play. It's not a "genre" specific feature.
I use the low b for a few things. one, I dont always have to change tunings if our guitarist goes to drop d, and i play some parts an octave lower than they would usually be, just to get more low end or make the band's sound seem bigger if its a part of the some that I want to stand out. You could also use it to match what a 7 string guitar plays, but I play bass in a bar cover band so im not playing too much metal or anything with 7 string guitars.
im sorry is that not what i said? i said mostly, i didnt mean it was specific to one genre, not at all it can be used for a jonas brothers song if you like i was just saying stuff he might know of the most.. and i did say its for getting a different range of notes... you pretty much just restated my statement and hated for no reason but okay...
I use 5 strings because my band tunes to B standard and thats what standard tuning is for a 5 string. Makes life a hell of alot easier and I find fivers easier to play.
Oh ok, that all makes pretty good sense! thanks for the help guys

I'm not too fond on all heavy brootal low metal n stuff, but yeah i might use it to get a bit of a lower boost in songs..

Thanks
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
Another advantage of the low B that nobody has mentioned: you can fret an E on the low B string to make your E sound like a fretted note, as opposed to an open string. Of course you could also solve that with a zero fret, but those aren't too common.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I use my low B all the time for fretting my E. Its aweseom. Also I like playing in D without being WAy up near the guitarists range. or for doing inverted root and fifth.
no sir away a papaya war is on
f0r t3h br00talz!!!!1!!

As well as economy of motion and all that, it's nice to be able to have a lower sound.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom