Page 1 of 2
ok its getting abit annoying now, many people i know think its a "fake army" or say that it doesnt do anything for the country....

so if thats your opinion have a go at justifying calling it.

keep in mind that 1/3 of the forces in Afghanistan are TA soldiers and just over that number got deployed in the Iraq invasion.
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
It's not fake, it's more....... part time.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by metacarpi
It's not fake, it's more....... part time.

thats exactly what i have been saying but people insist on insulting it, when TA soldiers have died for the country.
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Quote by Dave Frenzy
thats exactly what i have been saying but people insist on insulting it, when TA soldiers have died for the country.

It's less the TA, and more the attitude of some of the people in the TA.

I have a friend who's in the Royal Marines, and has served in both Iraq and Afghanistan (twice) with 40 Commando.

I also have a friend who's in the TA, and has done, well, nothing as far as I can tell, but talks all the talk about being a soldier etc, and comes across as being a bit of a prick.

It's things like that that give the TA a bad name more than anything.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

STABS, eh? From a couple of regulars I know who have been on tour, a lot of them tended to be something of a liability. Not all of them by any means. Probably don't deserve all the shit they get.
My dad was in the T.A. and he said apart from the ageism driving out certain members the perception of many T.A. soldiers was annoying, especially certain ones who forgot that many of the people there were part timers with other jobs.
Ask this guy. He was in the TAs.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots

Gareth is a legend.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

That's pretty win, but probably just why people don't like the TA, because of people like Gareth.

My mate's Dad went to Iraq with the TA. I like the idea of it because it gives people a chance to fight for their country and still have a regular career.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
It's more of a stigma of 'being to afraid to do the real thing'.

Tbh the SAS have a TA section - that says it all tbh.

I see nothing wrong in it but it does kinda feel like Generation Kill when the reserves come and just ****ing shoot anything that moves because they want to 'get some'.

If i was in the real army and knew TA's would be on my ass or in the same field i'd be a little bit worried - because they are kinda just action men...
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991

I see nothing wrong in it but it does kinda feel like Generation Kill when the reserves come and just ****ing shoot anything that moves because they want to 'get some'.

If i was in the real army and knew TA's would be on my ass or in the same field i'd be a little bit worried - because they are kinda just action men...

well thats where you are wrong, we get exactly the same training as the regular army does before they go out to a conflict and most of the time a TA soldier is assigned to the regiment it will deploy with months before the actual flight.

and as for the "generation kill" im pretty sure thats just a generalisation, many people i know (including me) just want to serve our country and do our part in the war but the "not wanting to commit to the regs" thing mostly comes down to the fact that our civilian jobs are much better paid.
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
ofcourse it's not fake.
it is however an excuse for lads to go play soldier at the weekend and then come back and talk to you about the army.
My old history teacher was in the army, and now he's in the TA.

I would not want to tell him the TA is fake. A, because he's a pretty deece teacher, B, beause he'd absolutley kill me.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by imthehitcher
ofcourse it's not fake.
it is however an excuse for lads to go play soldier at the weekend and then come back and talk to you about the army.

thats my point though, they arnt "playing soldiers", the ARE soldiers, if in a time of crisis or that britain is actualy under threat we can be deployed to a warzone, even if you have been in and left you can still be called up for 10 years after you have left.

its like having a part time job, you dont say somebody is "playing at working in a bar" they DO "work in a bar" and its exactly the same thing with the Army and the TA.
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
Quote by Anthony1991

The SAS have the reserve SAS, which are trained to exactly the same standard as the fully fledged SAS. The only difference is that you don't require prior military experience. It's certainly not equivalent to any TA.

Also, one of my friends lost a leg in a IED explosion in Iraq, my other friend pulling him from the burning wreckage of his humvee and saving his life. They're hardly a waste and they do get deployed.
Is the TA like the National Gaurd (U.S.)?
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
Quote by JHC_DOH

They're more like the US army reserve.
I think in Australia we call them the army reserves.

They're properly trained as soldiers, and if war was ever to come to australia, they'd definitely have to fight as soldiers. They are soldiers, it's just likely they'll never see combat.
Quote by JHC_DOH

no, i believe the national guard are the army of a given state.
the TA is just a part time version of the army.

EDIT: more like the US army reserves
My mate got told he couldn't join the TA

He wasn't up to scratch

Lol.

He still brags about it though, for some reason. Even though all he did was fail basic training

I wouldn't call it a fake army though. It's more like the Home Guards active in the 1939-1945 world conflict with Germany, it gives people a sense of helping, without having them **** up carefully written out plans.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Ask this guy. He was in the TAs.

First thing I thought of when seeing this thread. Bloody, Gareth.

...cock!

As has been said, I think it's the unfortunate attitude of a few in the TA that give the whole a bad image sometimes.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
Quote by SgtSquiggles
They're more like the US army reserve.

Oh, ok. My dad was in the U.S. army, and he thinks the reserves is for 2 people. College students and pussies. I can't comment though, cause everyone else I know who's in the military is in the Gaurd.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
Quote by gallagher2006
My mate got told he couldn't join the TA

He wasn't up to scratch

Lol.

He still brags about it though, for some reason. Even though all he did was fail basic training

I wouldn't call it a fake army though. It's more like the Home Guards active in the 1939-1945 world conflict with Germany, it gives people a sense of helping, without having them **** up carefully written out plans.

He brags about failing basic? Lame.

If anything I have a bit more respect for TA soldiers and officers. As well as holding down a career, at the weekends they train with the army and they can also go out to Afghanistan.
Don't forget you can also have Para and Commando TA units. They have to go through the exact same P Coy and All Arms Commando course that the regulars do. The only difference is they're not soliders 7 days a week.
I'm group B TA (non-deployable) and I struggle sometimes managing uni work with training. I can't imagine being an officer and a police man (as I know some of the officers in charge of our unit are) let alone any other job.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by JHC_DOH
Oh, ok. My dad was in the U.S. army, and he thinks the reserves is for 2 people. College students and pussies. I can't comment though, cause everyone else I know who's in the military is in the Gaurd.

Your dad is a ****.

What, does he think everyone who hasn't killed a man is a pussy?

He sounds like the typical american propaganda fuelled, bloodthirsty, patriotic arsehole.
The Territorial army is more of a domestic defense force, a legal militia than the main military it's a hold back from the second world war home guard but now is used to fill in manpower gaps the main military forces have because they're cheaper.
Quote by gangreneuk
Fake? This guy begs to differ...

I immediately thought of Spaced when I read the thread title.
The TA is just as real as any other force in the army, however it certainly isn't as demanding as the SAS or the Royal Commandos however, the training involved for these really is extreme
Quote by Zanon
The TA is just as real as any other force in the army, however it certainly isn't as demanding as the SAS or the Royal Commandos however, the training involved for these really is extreme

You do realise that there are Commando and Parachute TA regiments?
Exact same training, just at the weekend.
Quote by Renka

Quote by gangreneuk

I was JUST about to post that!!

I have utter respect for the Ta, as well as the RAF Reserves and Royal Navy Reserves.

My Uncle is a RAF reservist MP (Military Policeman) and has been for 5 years. Luckily he hasn't been sent to Afghanistan yet due to the fact he became a parent for the second time last year but he may go over for a few weeks soon.

In my opinion, the TA are useful, and it's them who will save our asses if there was an outbreak of Zombies in the UK
If you're part of the military and fighting/dying for your country, how can someone consider that to be anything less than real?
Quote by gangreneuk

Beat me to it you bastard
My name is Danny. Call me that.
It's not fake, they're just Saturday-Soldiers.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
The TA are a very real fighting force. There are individuals within the TA that are weekend warriors. Unlike the RNR, the TA and RMR deploy a decent number of troops each year. They supplement the number of troops we have on the ground, and they've received casualties in Afghanistan and Iraq. Real enough for me.

The RNR is a drinking club for rich people.

Source: Royal Navy engineer.

PS. Don't even comment if you can't get the names of the force right. Royal Commando? Suck me off.
Quote by Junglie
The TA are a very real fighting force. There are individuals within the TA that are weekend warriors. Unlike the RNR, the TA and RMR deploy a decent number of troops each year. They supplement the number of troops we have on the ground, and they've received casualties in Afghanistan and Iraq. Real enough for me.

The RNR is a drinking club for rich people.

Source: Royal Navy engineer.

PS. Don't even comment if you can't get the names of the force right. Royal Commando? Suck me off.

Did a bit of training and stayed overnight with 29 Cdo Rgt RA, it made me cringe every time someone in our unit called them marines. They're Army commandos -__- (Although there were some marines there when we were doing climbing and abseiling)
Quote by Renka

Quote by daytripper75
If you're part of the military and fighting/dying for your country, how can someone consider that to be anything less than real?

I fully agree - logically.

Part of me still thinks however that it is kind of lame, and a bit - half assed...

I respect them just as much as the standard regiments, but for some reason i just dont hold them in the same regard.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Page 1 of 2