So, MMolteratx who may or may not build really bad pedals tricked me into going on a wild goose hunt at home depot. He also made me spend about 8 hours on the sears website looking for a non-existent tool. I will cut him for it one day.

But sometimes you have to make lemonade. After seeing eyebanez333's awesome 30 dollar amp/rack gear/pedal shelf thingy and after he refused to make me one I realized I needed some new tools anyway.

Up until now I'd been using the screw drivers that I've had for years for computer work and whatever else my dad left me in his toolbox which consisted of an electric screwdriver/drill some bits and a power hand saw. I used those tools to build this thing...

- A driveway and a brick wall helped.

However, I was going to need some proper tools if I was going to build things less punk rock and more "sturdy" and not "awful."

Home Depot is some kind of magical wonderland. On with the show...

I've been keeping all my tools, random screws, pickups and stuff in shoe boxes. I had something like 5 shoe boxes just full of shit, random screws, random wires, stickers, plastic bags etc etc. So I grabbed some organization. For some reason, there wasn't that much toolbox variety. But, I did grab this for 30 bucks.

The Chinese are really good at putting stickers on things. The inside was just what I was missing in my life. Tons of little sections for small random parts. (tons = 9).

Unfortunately, having the means doesn't always mean having the way.

But it's certainly better then 4 shoeboxes full of junk.

Next up: Somehow over the course of the 9 months I've been playing I've lost almost all of the bits that came with my dad's drill, my slotted adjustable screwdriver and something like 10 screwdrivers. Apparently, Home Depot sells about 6 million different screw driver kits and they all come in pieces of a lot and chocked full. I picked up this thing for 6 bucks though.

Apparently, it was on special sale. Thanks China! 6 dollars for a whole mess of bits to lose.

the slotted head is cool because the handle swivels. Great for those hard to reach places.

Next up, this is something I don't know how I ever lived without....

Genius. We'll have flying cars any second now. Electric screwdriver. 30 bucks. Cheap but only one speed. It's really really nice though. Light weight with adjustable tension stop on the turning part. It came with it's own carrying bad. This was the third cheapest one I found at the store. There were 2 craftsmen ones that were cheaper but they were heavier and felt a lot cheaper. This thing has changed my life.

They had a sale on these as well. 2 in 1 pack for 4 bucks. Seem really solidly built. Butterfly based action with replaceable blades.

suicide knives. Never leave home without one.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Finally, the belle of the ball...
I already owned a power drill and a power saw. However, for what I'm planning on doing I wanted something that could cut small pieces of wood and metal and route holes in amp chassises and pedals. I must have spent 2 hours at home depot trying to figure out what all the awesome tools did. They did sell something I've had my eye on for a while though...which if the hype is to be believed will be suitable for most of the tasks I need to do. Here it is.

Fancy huh? I'm still watching videos and reading to figure out what this does and how it can be used.

Pretty standard box. It's nice that it came with a carrying case. There's a small box of accessories and a charging station. I opted for the cordless model because I'm clumsy as hell and I've only now learned to manage the cord on my soldering iron. Is it possible to burn your foot while soldering? Yes. How? I have no idea but I did it.

Here is the dremel with the cutting guide attached.

I tried to use this to cut open my other packages and found out that I should have bought some goggles as well. This thing turns whatever it touches into a shitstorm. Very very dangerous.

Well, I think I'm set for a while. I'm going to spend all week learning how to cut things with the dremel so I can start building some gear for my studio. I did maintenance checks on all my amps last night and the everything was easier by 1 million points. hifive.
Dude, that's awesome! So jealous.
One millon points indeed.
Also.... I love that tele.
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
I just gotta make sure I use this stuff properly. I forgot to pick up some tweezers. I've got one pair of pliers which I know I'm supposed to use and I still routinely try to hold solder connections together with my fingers.

countdown to injury....
Damn, got some tools there ehhh?

How small is that Ryobi? It looks tiny, perfect
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by AcousticMirror
I've got one pair of pliers which I know I'm supposed to use and I still routinely try to hold solder connections together with my fingers.

countdown to injury....

oh man i wish i'd thought of pliers, last pickup change i used my teeth to hold the solder, one hand to hold the wire and tho other to hold the iron

Turned out all good though so....
Blackstar HT 5
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
Quote by Steph Bets
oh man i wish i'd thought of pliers, last pickup change i used my teeth to hold the solder, one hand to hold the wire and tho other to hold the iron

Turned out all good though so....

It's even better with some old rusty ones that don't open very well

edit: Wow, they are both quite small, awesome!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jul 20, 2010,
Sweet! My craftsman rotary has that same cutting guide. Congrats on all the new tools.
Life is about taking risks, as long as the risks aren't too risky.
ya ryobi seems like had some really good stuff for cheap. I was really surprised at how cheap tools were....though the last time I was in a home depot was sometime in like 95 when my dad was refinishing the basement. There are gadgets with 50 parts selling for the same price as 1 screwdriver. I was very confused.
Niceeee. How much was the dremel? I need one for my build but the cheapest one here is like $180
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
It's even better with some old rusty ones that don't open very well

man there should be a charity for getting people better tools...
i want a dremel so badly.
Blackstar HT 5
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Ibanez Artcore AM73
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
It was 99 bucks. I actually overpaid a little. Amazon has them for 60 bucks. Sorry about the OZ thing. Though it doesn't seem as bad as that one kid that lives in israel...

I figure I grab this

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-670-Mini-Saw-Attachment/dp/B00008Z9ZP/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1279618390&sr=8-29

and this

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-MS400-MultiSaw-Attachment/dp/B0002QZ1PG/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1279618390&sr=8-30

and I'm set for any sort of light builds I need to do. I don't really need to do any serious routing for cabs and such.

I wish I had bought it sooner....I could have done that squire in like 2 minutes.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 20, 2010,
A quick note about that ryobi drill. You could probably get the one that has a removable battery for right about the same cost, if its still sold. The speed load chuck is amazing on those things, and they have quite a bit of power for being so small. Now your not gonna put wood screws into solid oak with that thing, but for just about anything with guitar its more than capable.

Both drills are the same, but having the removable battery is nice, and there are a few other tools that our 4V line has that are pretty good. The portable power source, aka multi phone charger, is really good if its the one that has the on switch on it. The Multimeter is also amazingly accurate in the microamp range which is hard for 80 dollars.
Quote by XgamerGt04
A quick note about that ryobi drill. You could probably get the one that has a removable battery for right about the same cost, if its still sold. The speed load chuck is amazing on those things, and they have quite a bit of power for being so small. Now your not gonna put wood screws into solid oak with that thing, but for just about anything with guitar its more than capable.

Both drills are the same, but having the removable battery is nice, and there are a few other tools that our 4V line has that are pretty good. The portable power source, aka multi phone charger, is really good if its the one that has the on switch on it. The Multimeter is also amazingly accurate in the microamp range which is hard for 80 dollars.

I didn't see the removable battery one. I should have done more research lol but I was really excited at home depot. The speed load check is pretty amazing. I wish it had variable speed though...just a little bit faster would be sweet.
Dude you just got into building and customizing. You shouldn't go out and buy top of the line gear so quickly. You need to get used to using what you have and develop some skill before you buy new gear.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Dude you just got into building and customizing. You shouldn't go out and buy top of the line gear so quickly. You need to get used to using what you have and develop some skill before you buy new gear.

Clearly you have not come across AcousticMirror before.
Quote by kurtlives91
^^that's what he does. A blower of money (among other things)...

ah man I'm sorry. If I feel like doing something I just go out and buy all the tools necessary to do it. Considering that I've been working with the same tools for about a year...I guess it's not an appropriate time to upgrade huh.

wait not. you're a **** gobbler. why don't you stay out of my threads.
Quote by AcousticMirror
why don't you stay out of my threads.

Was that a question or a statement? Your lack of punction and grammar skills confuses me.

And to answer your question...
It is very hard to stay out of your threads. There are so many of them. You pride yourself on all your purchases and showing them off. When you die man, go Viking style. Take all those worldly material possessions and burn them. That will show them!
Woah, you two lovebirds need to take it easy. find a bedroom or something
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
what a tool!

man i hope the next pic isn't of a goldtop being routed for a center single coil.....
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by kurtlives91
Was that a question or a statement? Your lack of punction and grammar skills confuses me.

And to answer your question...
It is very hard to stay out of your threads. There are so many of them. You pride yourself on all your purchases and showing them off. When you die man, go Viking style. Take all those worldly material possessions and burn them. That will show them!

wow everyone else that's commented has asked questions which I've answered or given me advice which I've responded too. Do you understand how civility works.

I mean it's all the same to me I just don't understand why you need to interrupt a good discussion by whipping your **** out.

I mean what do you want me to say. I have more money then you. deal with it.
Quote by gregs1020
what a tool!

man i hope the next pic isn't of a goldtop being routed for a center single coil.....

I might have to kill him if he did that.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by gregs1020
what a tool!

ding ding ding. dremel to the rescue. actually I'm going to sand down that route in the squire then grab a new pickguard and route it properly for the middle coil.
AM is an ass hat.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Bostonrocks
I might have to kill him if he did that.

that's one way to get a slo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
These threads are allowed.
Copycat

Nice tools!
I didn't read through it all, but you should get a router. Dremel will only work for small incriments, or soft wood. And bodies are generally hard woods.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
These threads are allowed.
Copycat

Nice tools!
I didn't read through it all, but you should get a router. Dremel will only work for small incriments, or soft wood. And bodies are generally hard woods.

are there such things as hand held or cordless routers?
Godd question... (googles)
Theres only one cordless router that I know of, apparently it wasn't a great success.
Just get a normal one.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Quote by AcousticMirror
are there such things as hand held or cordless routers?

Hand held yes.
Cordless... I don't know. Probably would be terrible, 'cause the amount of power needed to get a router going that fast, and then cutting into wood... Just wouldn't work.

Pretty much every router is handheld. Other than a CNC. Those are way too big to hold by hand and be comfortable.
You can also put most routers on tables. Just unscrew 4 screws, put into the proer sized table. You got yourself a table router.
..I was watching my death.
Don't get a cordless router, its going to be a waste of time. The only cordless ones you'll find often are laminate trimmers. Its much easier to supply the current to the motor for a router from the wall. DC Motors for routers either take huge amounts of current or you have to build a really efficient motor,very large and very expensive.

I've used one of the Rigid routers, not the laminate trimmer, and its quite a beast. It is the best that I know of, but I haven't used too many routers for many things.