Right now I'm saving up for
a) Getting a Schecter 7 string
b) Getting a Peavey Vypyr
c) Installing EMG's in my LTD (later)

What I am curious about is if it is worth paying extra for a seven string with a Floyd......don't tell me stuff about how sub $1000 guitars with cheap Floyds go out of tune easily and stuff, I have never noticed anything which could not be fixed with slight fine tuning of the knobs with my LTD.

Considering the Omen 7 Extreme/ Damien 7/ Damien 7 FR

I play mostly metal, all sorts but predominantly progressive, especially Dream Theater. Most of my time on guitar is spent on DT.......
Some rock as well, but not that much.
Will the lack of a Floyd handicap me as far as 7 string songs are concerned? I also intend to use it with a capo for songs in C.

Also is the Sanpera II worth double the moolah over a I, considering I want to play Petrucci, who is notorious for his usage of effects? The song I can manage till date (ITPOE Pt 1, Stream of Consciousness, Forsaken, Constant Motion {except the sweeping bits}) do not need anything more that distortion, delay, a bit of compression and chorus. They need switching maybe 2 or 3 patches- however I do not know about other songs. Your opinion?

My budget= Rs 30-35K (~USD 600-700)
Omen 7 Extreme- Rs 25K (~USD500)
Damien 7 - Rs 32K (~USD 600)
Damien 7 FR- Rs 36K (~USD 750)

Vypyr 30- Rs 13K (USD 250)
Sanpera I- Rs 6K (USD 120)
Sanpera II- Rs 12K (USD 250)

With some luck, I can use my dad's influence to get ~30-35% knocked off the price. Did so with my current rig. Cost came to a little under $900. Got it at $560.
Advice?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jul 20, 2010,
You don't want to play EMG's through a Vypyr.

I have before. It literally made me cringe.

If I were you, I'd honestly take it a lot more slowly - it'll pay off, and you'll save a lot of money in the long run.

First get a good sized tube amp, maybe something like a 6505 is you're mainly into metal.

Then get a multi effects pedal. I recommend a Boss ME-70, but there's a lot out there.

This way, you'll have any effects you need, and your guitars will actually sound really good, as good as they can, rather than being restricted by a digital modeling amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a Schecter C7 Hellraiser with a floyd and haven't had to tune it in 2 weeks so you can be sure that your not going to run into any tuning problems, if you use a floyd rose often then get the FR models, if your changing tunings a lot then get the fixed bridge, capo for drop C?? have you tried that??

Good choice on the peavey vypyr, improved my playing incredibly when I bought one, I got the sanpera II for free but haven't used it much, a lot of people recommend them and you will need one for switching channels and effects, try bargain a deal with the salesman when you buy the vypyr
Quote by Offworld92
You don't want to play EMG's through a Vypyr.

I have before. It literally made me cringe.

If I were you, I'd honestly take it a lot more slowly - it'll pay off, and you'll save a lot of money in the long run.

First get a good sized tube amp, maybe something like a 6505 is you're mainly into metal.

Then get a multi effects pedal. I recommend a Boss ME-70, but there's a lot out there.

This way, you'll have any effects you need, and your guitars will actually sound really good, as good as they can, rather than being restricted by a digital modeling amp.

Ok. Maybe SD Passives for the LTD?
As for tube amps....FORGET IT. A 6505 will probably cost 2x my budget....after discount.

Quote by drwnacol

I have a Schecter C7 Hellraiser with a floyd and haven't had to tune it in 2 weeks so you can be sure that your not going to run into any tuning problems, if you use a floyd rose often then get the FR models, if your changing tunings a lot then get the fixed bridge, capo for drop C?? have you tried that??

Good choice on the peavey vypyr, improved my playing incredibly when I bought one, I got the sanpera II for free but haven't used it much, a lot of people recommend them and you will need one for switching channels and effects, try bargain a deal with the salesman when you buy the vypyr

I'm not worried about tuning- my rather cheapo LTD is rock stable as it is. I'm worried if I actually even need the FR on the 7....and capo for C Standard. Like In Flame's "Bullet Ride". I can always drop the last string a couple of places....but that's beside the point. I don't know if any of the 7 string songs I want to learn have heavy FR bits in them. Never tried to learn a 7 song before since I don't have one......
And as for pedals, I'm not too sure if I even need the 8 switcheable patches. If 4 patches + switchable wah are enough, why spend more? Do you need to use more than 4 patches for a decent DT tone per song?
ITPOE for example needs a dist setting, a solo setting with delay and verb, and a clean chorus setting. And I think that's about it......"The Glass Prison", one song which I badly want to learn, only needs dist and verb I think........
How do you figure? The 60W 6505 costs $600.

And that was just one suggestion. There are other amps. A ValveKing would work, or anything that has a good clean channel, really, if you want to use pedal distortion.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
How do you figure? The 60W 6505 costs $600.

And that was just one suggestion. There are other amps. A ValveKing would work, or anything that has a good clean channel, really, if you want to use pedal distortion.

This is India. My LTD is USD 300 in the US. Here, it's 560. As for big, expensive tube amps.......
EDIT: As for pedal distortion, I intend to use my pedal for low-gain tones after I get a decent amp. The MT-2 model is horrible. The MEtal Zone model is nice, but it's pretty much solo only.
I got confused. For some reason, I thought that you were getting the Tube Vypyr, and so I was basing off of the price for that. I think I might be getting threads confused.

Can you get a Peavey Bandit or something like that over there?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I got confused. For some reason, I thought that you were getting the Tube Vypyr, and so I was basing off of the price for that. I think I might be getting threads confused.

Can you get a Peavey Bandit or something like that over there?

Doubt it.....an MG is considered high end here.......
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Do you need to use more than 4 patches for a decent DT tone per song?
ITPOE for example needs a dist setting, a solo setting with delay and verb, and a clean chorus setting. And I think that's about it......"The Glass Prison", one song which I badly want to learn, only needs dist and verb I think........
Don't forget the wah. That's one of the most epic parts of the song.
Quote by leephan
Don't forget the wah. That's one of the most epic parts of the song.

The Sanpera 1 has a switchable wah- which can be used on any of the 4 patches. So it should be enought for the average DT song, right?
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Is there a site for where you getting it from? That'd help a bit for us to know what your range is.

No sites. Local stores. Don't have a credit card. In 12th grade see? Dad won't give me one....
EDIT: I did mention prices in the first post ^.
I wouldn't get a floyd on a 7 string, unless your playing hard core metal, but usually 7 strings will have a fixed bridge, just simpler.

I would try to get a Valveking, they are pretty common, and aren't that expensive. 50 tube watts should be more than enough for you.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I wouldn't get a floyd on a 7 string, unless your playing hard core metal, but usually 7 strings will have a fixed bridge, just simpler.

I would try to get a Valveking, they are pretty common, and aren't that expensive. 50 tube watts should be more than enough for you.

You won't find it here. Old Fender's bought in the 80's and AC4TV's are all you'll get here. Anything more, and you'll have to place a special order. And shell out loads of cash. Which is not an option.

The peavey is probably the best option, except maybe a Roland Cube- but I'm not too sure about foot pedals. Sanpera 1 or 2? And yes, I play metal mostly.
Was looking through the Sanpera review on this site- is it posible to set
each button to x settings
say:
button 1- Recto amp, dirty, gain on 10, xyz eq, light delay, light reverb, volume control on ex pedal
button 2- recto clean, gain on 0.5, zyx eq, chorus, delay, wah on ex pedal?
vutton 3- diesel amp, dirty, gain 3, delay
button 4 fender amp, reverb, flanger?
Seeings as you're not in a band, the Vypyr 30 should be perfect for you. I'd suggest getting the Sanpera II only because the control scheme is a lot easier with dedicated pedals. As for the floyd rose, in most cases it's a luxury, not a necessity, so if you want to put out the extra money for it, go for it. If you think you're never going to touch the thing, I'd put off getting one. Hope that helps!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by theacousticpunk
Seeings as you're not in a band, the Vypyr 30 should be perfect for you. I'd suggest getting the Sanpera II only because the control scheme is a lot easier with dedicated pedals. As for the floyd rose, in most cases it's a luxury, not a necessity, so if you want to put out the extra money for it, go for it. If you think you're never going to touch the thing, I'd put off getting one. Hope that helps!

That is the thing. I do not know how many 7 string guitar songs need FR's. "The Glass Prison" has a tremolod AH but I can do that with a PH and vibrato the string. But other songs?
You probably won't need a tremolo. The only band I can think of who use 7 strings with tremolo are Trivium, which I doubt you play a lot.

You should get the Sanpera II. It's a way more versatile and useful pedal than the I.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You probably won't need a tremolo. The only band I can think of who use 7 strings with tremolo are Trivium, which I doubt you play a lot.

You should get the Sanpera II. It's a way more versatile and useful pedal than the I.

Sure DT don't play tremolo on 7 strings?
That is probably the most important consideration.....
OK then....gonna try listening to Trivium to see if I there's anything I want to learn.....so more or less decided on the Damien 7......unless I can find something which needs a Floyd, I'm decided on the TOM.
If I go for the hardtail, that frees up just enough cash to get a Sanpera II....
Are you only going to be playing in one tuning? If so, then the Floyd'd be fine, and if ytou don't need it, you don't have to use it, but if you do it's there.

But if you change tunings a lot, I'd definitely get a hardtail.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Are you only going to be playing in one tuning? If so, then the Floyd'd be fine, and if ytou don't need it, you don't have to use it, but if you do it's there.

But if you change tunings a lot, I'd definitely get a hardtail.

I change tuning, but not a lot....maybe once in 3 weeks......I don't mind the tricky tuning/string change, it's that the Floyd will eat cash that could be spent on a pedal.l....
Either way, thanks everyone, really grateful.
A last question: are the EMG HZ's on the Damien better than the Schecter Diamond Plus's on the Omen?