Hey. I'm considering buying a new tube amp.
The Bugera 333XL 212 combo as well as the head version seem really good value for money amps. I've heard a lot of good things about this amp, and my budget can't stretch further.
Basically, the distortion on the amp as well as the features, are very good. So for all types of metal, this seems to be a good option.

HOWEVER, i would like to know how the clean channel and tones on the amp are, and also how tweakable and versatile the EQ is. This is the most important thing about buying this amp, for me, as there is no way a pedal can do to make shitty cleans turn into amazing, godly ones.

After metal, playing shoegaze, post-rock, blues, jazz, and classic rock are important for me, and most of the metal songs i make have clean parts that need to sound ****ing sweet.

Any help i can get?
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Imo the clean channel is fantastic for this type of amp.

on channel 2+3 there is an active EQ making it more responsive. This amp is very versitile for me. I would advise getting it if the price is right.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Go and play it, or listen to some demos. You be the judge. The cleans on it sound awesome to my ears.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
The clean channel is surprisingly nice, especially with the reverb. And the EQ is incredibly responsive.

As long as you know how to check (or can get someone to do it for you) that everything is hooked up how it should be, they're a great amp.
Well, my budget shows i have a choice between the:

Bugera 333XL
Blackstart HT-40 Venue
Peavey Valveking 112 and 212
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Bandit 112

But the Bugera BY FAR seemed to be the best overall value for money option.

But feature-wise the Bugera seems TOOO good to be true, there MUST be a downside, riiiiight? :/
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
It's not too good to be true, it's just cheap manufacturing and you don't pay for the brand name as the brand isn't well known.
Quote by Quackles
What about Peavey 6505+ 112 combo? Should be in your price range.

Bad cleans.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
The 333XL is a fine amp, with an amazing clean tone on it. Mostly all manufacturing problems have been fixed by now as well. I'd say go for it. The Peavey's cleans would not be in the same ballpark as the 333XL IMO, and I have seen quite a few 6505 combo breakdowns in the last while as well, so this tends to happen to any new mass production amp made abroad.
Noise gate is pretty much useless on the 333XL.

The HT40 is comparable if you want a bit more reliability and less watts.
Quote by Ravenfaust
Will it do justice to the Agile 7 or 8 string i'm gonna buy after that?

Your going to be using a 7 or 8 string and cleans? Sorry, but this is not often something you actually here people doing as of late. Most people who utilize that king od axe are after the brootz. Personally, throw an EQ into the loop and you'll be good to go. When I had my 333XL combo, an EQ really brought the amp to full life, not saying it's not a good amp, but it takes EQ's very very well. I also tried an OD, which I found didn't do a whole lot, but an EQ was awesome with it.
Quote by suffersystem
Your going to be using a 7 or 8 string and cleans? Sorry, but this is not often something you actually here people doing as of late. Most people who utilize that king od axe are after the brootz. Personally, throw an EQ into the loop and you'll be good to go. When I had my 333XL combo, an EQ really brought the amp to full life, not saying it's not a good amp, but it takes EQ's very very well. I also tried an OD, which I found didn't do a whole lot, but an EQ was awesome with it.

No lol, no, you've gotten it rather wrong.
I'll be using a 7 or 8 string AS WELL in the FUTURE, so i'm looking at my future needs too.
I'm ALSO CONCERNED about the cleans on the amp because well i'd be using the cleans at times too, and because I WANT AN AMP THATS GOOD AT EVERYTHING for the price i'm paying!
Now that, wasn't too hard was it?

I make metal songs with clean parts in them, so i OBVIOUSLY won't be going changing my guitar AND amp live, just for the clean parts, because this is not what's usually done with this amp lol?
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Last edited by Ravenfaust at Jul 20, 2010,
I have a Bugera 333xl-212 Combo, and its ****ing phenomenally fantastic. I love it to death. The tone is godlike, the cleans are eargasmic and the distortion is in****ingcredible.

This is something I realized the moment I plugged an EQ into the FX Loop. It seriously makes the amp twice as awesome (if it was ever possible to multiply infinity lol).

I also do have a 7-string guitar with EMG Pickups (see sig), and it really does it justice. With new strings I can just almost get that Tosin Abasi Animals as Leaders snappy, jazzy, clear tone. It's insanity manifested!

Sorry if I sound too much in love with the amp, I'm just happy today. And I really think you should buy this one.

I've had mine for just over a year now, and I've had zero issues with it. All the bad quality-stories come from the first couple of runs where some issues came up after a while. These issues have been fixed by now I hope. Mine has not crapped out on me anyway .. yet

So .. to answer your questions:
Cleans? Awesome, especially for the price and category (high-gain amp also usable for metal).

Handling ERG-guitars? Just fine. Haven't tried an 8-string with it, but should be no issue.

Eskil
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by Ravenfaust
No lol, no, you've gotten it rather wrong.
I'll be using a 7 or 8 string AS WELL in the FUTURE, so i'm looking at my future needs too.
I'm ALSO CONCERNED about the cleans on the amp because well i'd be using the cleans at times too, and because I WANT AN AMP THATS GOOD AT EVERYTHING for the price i'm paying!
Now that, wasn't too hard was it?

I make metal songs with clean parts in them, so i OBVIOUSLY won't be going changing my guitar AND amp live, just for the clean parts, because this is not what's usually done with this amp lol?

What price are you paying for it?
People dont go around changing amps & guitars live, they A/B or Y them.
Any good high gain amp with 2 or more channels will give you "good" cleans & enough gain for most metal. With bugera's there used to be reliability issues, hopefully they have been fixed. If the FUTURE you're looking at is distant then go for better build quality amps instead & if you are looking for great sounds instead of good sounds from an amp at everything then you will need more than just one amp
budget?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
And a Keith Merrow tone? :P

I'm paying $699 for it, so it's definitely worth the money.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Quote by Ravenfaust
And a Keith Merrow tone? :P

I'm paying $699 for it, so it's definitely worth the money.

Don't know 'bout the Keith Merrow tone. Didn't try really, since his tone really isn't suited for my music style .. not enough gain.

Sounds pretty neat. Pretty much what I paid too, but I got it (new) at a pretty neat offer as it was the first run my store had of the amp (and the first big run in Denmark too). The price went up again shortly afterwards .. to around $1000. :p
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab