I am planning on buying a usb recording interface to practice with regularly and record with as well. I first wanted to buy the Line 6 Pod Studio GX but I think the Guitar Rig software is better than Pod Farm so I was looking at the Guitar Rig Mobile interface. I wondered which one of the interfaces is better quality because I want as few latency as possible. I know the Guitar Rig mobile has less amps but that doesn't bother me and I can upgrade to Guitar Rig 4 Pro later on if I want to.

My other question is where I can order the Guitar Rig Mobile with Guitar Pro 4 Essential. I wanted to order it from Thomann but that one is the Guitar Rig 3 version http://www.thomann.de/nl/native_instruments_guitar_rig_mobile.htm
I could order it from the Native Instruments website but that's gonna cost me about 30 euro(if not more) extra than necessary. I live in Holland so if anyone knows where that would be nice.
I use a Line 6 Toneport UX1 to record dry signals, using POD Farm.
POD Farm has zero latency, but I find without the Guitar Rig input interface, you'll have a spot of latency while recording.
Using POD Farm, Advantage is you have a pretty decent monitor tone, and I use Guitar Rig 4 as an effect to change the tone later, with zero latency. Works a treat, and the advantage to that is you can change it as many times as you want. It's also easier to drop-record with dry tones if you make any mistakes!
Hope this helps!
Last edited by CloneofAmott at Jul 20, 2010,
If you don't need amp sims etc, get a M Audio Fast Track Pro. Comes with Ableton so you can get a zero latency record and gets a decent monitor signal (I run the interface in my effects loop and throw on delay/modulations etc, although I use Logic).
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Well I figured out Guitar Rig Mobile requires usb 2.0 and I only have 1.1 so I will be buying the Pod Studio GX. I'll probably buy Guitar Rig if I am not satisfied enough with the tones from Pod Farm but I will have to wait untill the pod arrives. Thanks for the advice.
I can recommend using Line6 Toneport UX1. I have one and it works great for my purposes. However, PodFarm isn't great modeling software, so for the best tones I recommend micing a nice amp and then running that into a USB interface.

Quote by CloneofAmott
I use a Line 6 Toneport UX1 to record dry signals, using POD Farm.
POD Farm has zero latency, but I find without the Guitar Rig input interface, you'll have a spot of latency while recording.

This is wrong. It's powered by USB and is not an external sound card. The TonePort will have SOME latency, but it usually isn't too noticeable.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by MightyOwned
Pod Farm is regarded as one of the better amp sim programs, and many get amazing results. Seriously, look up any Joey Sturgis production. All Pod Farm.

This is true, I didn't word my original statement well. PodFarm itself is quite good in terms of modeling software, but I personally don't like the way modeling software in general sounds when compared to the real thing. Which is why I recommended mic'ing an amp and running that through the TonePort.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Ok thanks for the replies. Do you know where I can get good free vst's for sounds from these artists:

Clean:
John Mayer
Explosions in the Sky
(probably some fender amp sim)

Distortion:
Alter Bridge
Muse
The Smashing Pumpkins
Paul Gilbert
Andy Timmons

I have no idea where to look for good free vst's and I would like to test out some tones in addition to the Pod Farm software.
Wow thanks a lot! That thread looks very interesting and helpfull. I also checked out AcmeBarGiGs website and it looks really good. I'll just have to wait untill the Pod arrives somewhere next week and start tweaking.