Hi,

I'm a guitarist who's just started learning bass. Just got my new bass yesterday (Ibanez SR505), and I'm having a problem with the blend control.

I assume when it's in centre position it should be just as loud as when it's turned one way or another? Instead, in centre position it drops in volume by about 10dBs.

I can only think that it's been wired up strangely, unless this is normal for some reason.

Thanks for any help
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Nope, not normal and very weird, i can't think why that would possibly happen
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Thanks. I think there are other wiring problems too, it seems to have generally got quieter by about 10-20dBs somewhere between receiving it and now. Must be a short or something in there. Strange and annoying. Guess I might have to send it back.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
try a new battery first, just to make sure it's not something as simple as that.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Yup, first thing I did, same stuff happened. I'd open it up and have a poke around in the electronics but I don't want to void the warranty.
Quote by Liberation
I dont think its that weird. It happened on my ibanez btb and on passive jazz bas's if you have both pickups on full you get a loss in volume.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Means the pickups are out of phase, if the blend pot is wired correctly, try swapping the hot + ground wire from ONE of the pickups.

Check the wiring of the blend pot, should look like this:
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
To fatgoogle:
By 10dBs? It's a very noticeable drop.

I'm pretty sure something else is wrong in there causing volume issues too.

Nutter:

Thanks for the advice, I wondered if it might be that. As I said, I'm not opening up the guitar just yet to make sure I keep my warranty if I need it. If it turns out I have to pay high postage costs to send it to them to fix then I'll probably have a look and check out if it's that.
Quote by Liberation
Last edited by loonyguitarist at Jul 20, 2010,
Check the wiring against this to make sure there's no problems

http://www.ibanez.com/supportResources/wiring/2006/WB040004.gif

Just read what you said.

Fair enough - there should be a volue drop if it were single coils wired to be out of phase and so humbucking, but if it's two humbuckers, that doesn't follow. However, if you don't want to open it up, your only option is to return it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Last edited by Nutter_101 at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by Nutter_101
Check the wiring against this to make sure there's no problems

http://www.ibanez.com/supportResources/wiring/2006/WB040004.gif

Just read what you said.

Fair enough - there should be a volue drop if it were single coils wired to be out of phase and so humbucking, but if it's two humbuckers, that doesn't follow. However, if you don't want to open it up, your only option is to return it.

This is the correct answer.

Many pick ups are single coils wired in a way that they eliminate hum. As a result, the neck pick up is usually a lot "hotter" than the bridge, that is, you have more DB when your rolled all the way on the neck than in the center or on the bridge. Every bass with single coils and a blend knob that Ive ever played has been this way. It really shouldnt be a huge problem since most basses with blend knobs also have a single volume knob so you can still get everything where you want it just on the bass
Nope, bridge and neck have very similar output, it only goes quiet (very quiet) when they are blended. You'd have to turn the volume knob quite far down to get the same reduction in volume.

Thanks anyway
Quote by Liberation