Hello!

I just got my Boss NS-2. The reason I got it is because I play high gain metal through a Maxon OD808 and a Bugera 6262 - in other words, I get lots of feedback and I would think that the amp itself is a bit noisy.

So, here's the problem - I don't know SHIT about pedal chains, fx loops etc etc etc. I guess I can figure out what setting to use on the NS-2, but where shall I put it?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your help!

using this diagram will get the best out of the ns-2, usually a noise suppressor or noise gate will go at the end of the pedal chainto reduce the hum that comes out of the amp
Yep that's how i've got mine setup sounds good

Except i have an EQ pedal after the guitar and before the NS2
Hm okay I got the feedback away now! Going to try putting it in the fx aswell now.

One thing, what is really the decay for? I get a looser sound when increasing it, but if I quickly mute my strings, the feedback goes away a little later (when having decay up). So really, should I find a balance or should I just use it at min?

And hm, right now I have the guitar in in the top right socket, and then NS-2->input of amp in the top left one. If I cross them (ie have the NS-2->input of amp in the bottom left socket) it doesn't help at all. Why is that?
Last edited by Panikak at Jul 20, 2010,
You have to have it running through your effects loop for the X connection to work. You can't just pick and choose the inputs/outputs.

Decay is personal preference. There is no "right or wrong" with it - that's why it's there. So you can set it how you want it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The decay just sets how fast the the gate will come in after you stop playing. I keep mine at minimum so it kicks in straight away.
Okay, it's connected in the X-way and it works great! Really easy tool to use. Yeah, I figure I'm going to have my decay on minimum aswell, if I suddenly stop playing, I don't want to have that little squeal there

I have one more question. My hum and feedback is gone and my tone changed a little bit, not definitly to the worse though. It feels like the pedal added more presence? Any ideas how I can compromise with that added "middy, presency" sound?

Thanks A LOT Ug!
Turn the mids down on your amp? Or turn the tone up on your guitar a little bit?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Turn the mids down on your amp? Or turn the tone up on your guitar a little bit?

Don't have a tone knob on my guitar!

Yep, will try that. My chug chug'ing loses it's punch-in-stomach-factor when I decrease the presence so I'll try with the mids!

Thanks
Quote by britishsligean

using this diagram will get the best out of the ns-2, usually a noise suppressor or noise gate will go at the end of the pedal chainto reduce the hum that comes out of the amp

That's exactly how I have mine set up, works perfect.
Doesn't adding mids add presence though? That's what it's always seemed like to me. When I scoop mids, I loose most of the "oomph" that I love in my sound.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X