Hey, so here's what I want:

Tube amp, something that doesn't break up easily, as I want loud cleans for gigging.

Budgets around £1000.

I play a bit of everything, from Clapton to Metallica, although my main style is classic rock.

Current gear is:

Fender MIM Classic 50s Strat
Epiphone SG G400 Custom
Ibanez EW20ASENT

Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Digitech Whammy
MXR 10 Band EQ
EHX Big Muff Pi
Boss CE5
Boss DD6.

So as you can see it needs to be good with pedals

I'd like as many suggestions as I can, so I can look through them. I'm willing to go used, but it's not easy for me as I'm up in North Wales, and don't really want to spend £100 on fuel travelling.

Thanks.
you could look at a blackstar series one amp, you will probably have to look used for one though, alternativly you could look at a peavey classic 50, and get a good overdrive, or you could look at a fender hot rod deville and get an overdrive
peavey classic 50
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I don't really want to buy an OD pedal, if I can avoid it.

I think if I was to go for a stack, it'd have to be used to get decent stuff? I'm not sure.

An the Peavey looks good, but I've heard bad stuff about it too, and I don't know how versitile it is.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
I don't really want to buy an OD pedal, if I can avoid it.

I think if I was to go for a stack, it'd have to be used to get decent stuff? I'm not sure.

An the Peavey looks good, but I've heard bad stuff about it too, and I don't know how versitile it is.

it can get very heavy but it needs an overdrive to get it playing metal
Quote by britishsligean
it can get very heavy but it needs an overdrive to get it playing metal

When you say metal, what sorta stuff are you talking about?

That sounds a bit stupid, but I mean like, Slipknot or Metallica type stuff? I don't need tons of gain.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
When you say metal, what sorta stuff are you talking about?

That sounds a bit stupid, but I mean like, Slipknot or Metallica type stuff? I don't need tons of gain.

When u use an OD pedal with the Classic 50's od channel, i can do Metallica, Megadeth stuff. It wont have enough gain for modern metal, death metal etc. 80's metal it can do.
I would recommend the Peavey Classic 50 also, it has a very very nice clean tone and it can do classic rock easily also, as has been said: it won't do modern metal. But for you're Metallica style stuff, you can get an OD pedal if you really need it.

If you are willing to go used and you have £1000 and you need a lot of clean headroom, I'd reccomend a Fender Twin of some kind, those can also do classic rock, but it might not be the tone that you're after, the Peavey is probably better at that. But the Peaveys cleans are warmer, where as the Fenders are bright and glassy, both are good, depends what you want.

I wouldn't recommend Blackstar after personal experience with reliability issues.

The only bad thing that I've heard about the Peavey is that it's really heavy, but so is any 2x12 combo.

Fender Hotrod Deluxes sound good clean and stay clean at high volumes, but they have nothing on a Twin.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
So the Peavey can do giggable cleans? Is it good with pedals also?

And they do a 4 x 10 combo, right? How's that compare?
The Peavey's cleans are awsome, really good, definatly gigable without a doubt, it's a 50 watt tube amp man, you could gig most places without turning it up past half way.

Takes pedals very well, I tried one with a few different OD pedals when I was going to buy one once.

It also has a pretty cool little cooling fan in the back too, nifty.

They do a 4x10, yeah. It'll be more punchy, thin, and tinny. Personally I don't like 10 inch speakers and I would definatly get the 2x12.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
The Jet City is definatly an amp that leans more towards modern rock tones in my opinion.
Not heard a lot about Jet City.

I'm liking the looks of the Peavey, I'll check it out a bit.
Quote by FuzzLove
The Jet City is definatly an amp that leans more towards modern rock tones in my opinion.

You can nail classic rock tones fairly easily. It's a modded Marshall at heart. It can do modern tones as well though. Very versatile gain.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah, the Jet City is an awsome amp, but as TS said he wants clean headroom, I'm not sure it's really what he's after?
Yeah, mainly for the Big Muff Pi. I'm a big lover of clean tones too, so has to be a big part of it.
50w of head room is plenty for any gig. The cleans on the Jet City aren't that bad. Just bright.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Both awsome amp, but as cleans are seem to be important for you, I'd go with the Peavey, but the Jet City is worth checking out too.
Quote by wilmearz
For that kind of versitility I think a Marshall JVM may be what you are looking for; great cleans and can do classic rock and metal. Frankly a peavey classic is never going to sound that great trying to do metal, just because that is not what it is meant for.

Read the thread.
Is a Laney VH100R in your pricerange there? That's what I'd be looking for.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Is a Laney VH100R in your pricerange there? That's what I'd be looking for.

It's about £800 here, so I'd have £200 left for a cab, unless I went used.
ENGL Screamer 50!!

Very versatile, and really nice priced.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
according to today's exchange rate thats about $1500usd.
you could easily get a marshall jcm800 50wt 1/2 stack used & it will do everything you mentioned.

for more gain just hump the mids on your mxr10 band eq & boost the output.
is it the newer one w/ on/off button?
personally i'd sell off the big muff & buy an mxr dist + but thats just me.
Last edited by blues n cues at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by blues n cues
according to today's exchange rate thats about $1500usd.
you could easily get a marshall jcm800 50wt 1/2 stack used & it will do everything you mentioned.

for more gain just hump the mids on your mxr10 band eq & boost the output.
is it the newer one w/ on/off button?
personally i'd sell off the big muff & buy an mxr dist + but thats just me.

I've been checking the Bay, and they're pretty high priced for my budget.

The EQ has an on/off button, if that's what you mean.

And I like the Big Muff, although I want a nice lead channel when I don't feel like lots of fuzz.
I've had a good look around, and checked out the reviews.

The Peavey looks like the one. Seems everything I want, can take pedals, loud cleans, good overdrive, nice classic rock tone.

I'm going to try to go to a shop to try all the suggestions out, but for now the Peaveys winning.