I'm currently teaching children part time. I recently started teaching a REALLY rich kid(the kid's parents bought the house next door because they "felt like it"), and getting a lot of stuff from his parents.

The best part is that his dad loves electric guitars, and has a big collection. He showed and let me play his collection, which included guitars like

vintage strat, made in 60's (EDIT: Fender)
Fender custom shop eric clapton strat
very old Fender tele
PRS santana
Gibson Les Paul(50 years old)
Martin Acoustics

I almost went crazy, and then the dad said, "Having fun eh? Say, which one did you like?" and I replied, "Well, this strat is really comfortable."

when I said that, he put the guitar in a hard case and told me, "well then, here you go!" and gave me the guitar. He said that he was thankful for bringing up his son's grades.

According to him, the guitar is supposed to be a order-made handmade guitar. But after I got home, I got a little suspicious.

1.The backplate says "Handmade by Washburn PRO since 1876". Washburn PRO?
2.No logo on neck
3.for a guitar that costs more than american strats, its not that good.
4.The machine head is "Der Sung", which costs about $40 online.(though for a fake one, that's pretty good)

What do you think? Have anyone seen similar guitars like this online such as on ebay? I live in Japan and it would be nice if I could get some info from abroad.

I still keep using it even if it's fake... it does sound nice and I prefer this one than my Fender Mexico.

Last edited by 6.satch at Jul 20, 2010,
Who cares? U got it for free!
HNGD
"Wrath is not a sin"
I play PS3 , Psn: g-tibbert . Add me up!
I think its been highly modified, perhaps.

Looks pretty damn nice and you got it for free
HNGD
its a free guitar who cares man but there should be some info on it if you can check their website or send them an email or if you dont want to offend your neighbour by asking him invite him over for a few beers get him half charged then ask your questions then get him hammered so he will forget the convosation the next day but id check their website and send an email first its a nice lookin guitar to i might add have fun with it
It does sound suspicious, but at the same time, some of the hardware, like the tuners, machine heads, and other shit could have been replaced over time if it is an old guitar.
On the other hand with a fake guitar, I don't think they would have bothered with the fancy finish that guitar has.
Anyway, as you can probably tell, I'm no expert, but relax, because from what you've said about it, whether it is fake or not, it sounds like you just got a sick guitar for free. Congratulations !

By the way, if you can take some higher resolution pictures of that guitar, do so, because I think it looks cool, I really like wierd finishes like that
If, it plays good, and you like, why do you care about the brand name?

Probably someone might have changed the neck plate. (why would someone do that? no idea)
There was a 60's strat and a 50 year old Les Paul, and you go for the modern Washburn of questionable authenticity? Do you realise how much vintage Strats and Les Pauls are worth these days? Even if you didnt like those two you could have sold them for thousands and bought pretty much whatever you like.
Quote by Necrotise
There was a 60's strat and a 50 year old Les Paul, and you go for the modern Washburn of questionable authenticity? Do you realise how much vintage Strats and Les Pauls are worth these days? Even if you didnt like those two you could have sold them for thousands and bought pretty much whatever you like.

He got it for free so I guess he shouldn't push his luck and ask for the Gibson. On the other hand, he never said that the 60's strat was a Fender so I'm assuming that this is the 60's strat?

Very nice guitar by the looks of it, nice one!
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Quote by PRSfanatic
Why on earth didn't you say the 60's strat or a PRS!?

edit: but damn, that is one pretty guitar

I've seen other washburns with this on them:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6298/64223607.jpg but not a PRO sign

Thanks for the pic. I'm guessing "PRO" isn't as good as USA ones... hahahahaha
MIJ Bacchus Stratocaster
Fender Mex Cyclone HH

ZOOM G3
Xotic BB PLus
Quote by ginger ninja102
its a free guitar who cares man but there should be some info on it if you can check their website or send them an email or if you dont want to offend your neighbour by asking him invite him over for a few beers get him half charged then ask your questions then get him hammered so he will forget the convosation the next day but id check their website and send an email first its a nice lookin guitar to i might add have fun with it

So, what you're saying is.. he should invite the multimillionaire next door for a "few beers", get the guy completely smashed, and then ask him about the guitar parts, and make sure he gets so off his face he forgets the whole thing the next day...

Or he could just.. ask him?
Most of my grindcore inspiration comes from my hard drive.
Quote by von gelb
He got it for free so I guess he shouldn't push his luck and ask for the Gibson. On the other hand, he never said that the 60's strat was a Fender so I'm assuming that this is the 60's strat?

Very nice guitar by the looks of it, nice one!

That's right. I knew that vintage Fenders and Gibsons can easily be sold for more than $10000, and I was sure he wouldn't have given me those.

Anyways, I didn't know I that he was trying to give me a guitar... who would?

PS the strats were all fender. sorry!
MIJ Bacchus Stratocaster
Fender Mex Cyclone HH

ZOOM G3
Xotic BB PLus
Another thing, I can't ask him if its fake. I have to be loyal to him(which is really important in Japan), and questioning him would be rude. Even if it was fake, it would embarrass him.

the multimillionaire is a very good client of mine, and I get paid very well. I can't afford to mess up and lose my easy, well-paying job.

Anyways, he said he'd give me another guitar next time!
Next time I'll try for more authentic ones
MIJ Bacchus Stratocaster
Fender Mex Cyclone HH

ZOOM G3
Xotic BB PLus
Last edited by 6.satch at Jul 20, 2010,
The guitar is made by the same folks who made 'Vantage' etc.....they were out of Asia.....usually Japan and Korea with the inlay work done in Vietnam. Usually good quality axes for the price. Fancy inlay work added about $150 to the cost.

You can still get more or less the same the same guitar out of custom Vietnamese guitar factories. 'Works of art' as much as guitars....but still decent guitars. Well made so you can switch out parts (but not necessary). $600 or so delivered to your door.
Last edited by Raptorfingers at Jul 20, 2010,
It does look like a fake guitar, It's probably really a toaster someone modified. But seriously, that's a damn pretty guitar!
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
my friends has two from the same shop. they are made in the same plant as the washburns, thus the washburn parts.

he has a neck through tele and a strat like that one.

one of the frets was on an angle, other than that, it was fine.

i couldn't get used to playing it with the abalone all over the fretboard myself.

congrats, as long as it plays nice, who cares?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 20, 2010,
I swear there has been a thread with a guitar exactly like this before...

They were being sold on eBay for something like $150, and being listed as completely handmade and very rare and a bunch of other things...

As long as it plays nice, whats it matter to you?
Really, what does it matter? It was free, you like the feel of it, and it's pretty as fuck.
Quote by robhc
Really, what does it matter? It was free, you like the feel of it, and it's pretty as fuck.

Seconded
Quote by kennykenny
So, what you're saying is.. he should invite the multimillionaire next door for a "few beers", get the guy completely smashed, and then ask him about the guitar parts, and make sure he gets so off his face he forgets the whole thing the next day...

Or he could just.. ask him?

yeah i only mean if the dude would find offence to someone asking him if a guitar he gave away for free is a fake and even if he is rich who cares hes still a normal person