http://www.montagar.com/~patj/fuzzface.gif

i am considering building this and have a few questions.

does this seem like a pretty easy circuit to start with?

what would be a cost estimate?

where would be a good place to buy the parts?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
That looks very easy.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/StoreFront.bok is a great place for parts for this kind of stuff.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I would use this for Q1:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=468
and this for Q2:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=957

Replace the 8.2K resistor with a 10K trimpot so you can bias it correctly to 4.5 volts.

Use metal film resistors.
If it's a bit too bassy, try a smaller input cap, like around .1 uF, or replace the volume pot with a 100K pot.
If you want a more aggressive fuzz, use a 2K pot for the 1K pot.
More output, use 1K instead of the 330/470 ohm resistor.

Here's the schematic for a silicon version:

I've also reported this to be moved, it's more suited for GB+C.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jul 20, 2010,
^There's also a 'pedal building' thread over there that is pretty helpful.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
sorry i am new to this, but what type of capacitors would you recommend?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Pretty simple build. The electronics will probably cost you less then 20$, if you buy them at the right place. If you happen to have old electronic stuff you do not use anymore, like old pedals, TV's or whatever, you could take a peak, you could be able to find all you need without leaving your house.

For the capacitors, the ones that are polarized(the ones with a +) are electrolytics. The ones with no anode/cathode, take ceramics. I'd replace the 2.2uF by a .1uF or so. 2.2uF seems a little high for a coupling capacitor.

EDIT: Make sure you respect the polarity of electrolytic capacitors. One of them(the 2.2uF) is there to protect your guitar electronics, if it's not put in the right way, it could damage your gear. The capacitor itself will probably also blow up(reverse DC voltage on electrolytic capacitor=boom, and it smells awful, trust me).

The cathode(-) is noted on them->the grey bar with a - is the cathode, obviously.

EDIT 2: Use ForsaknAzrael's schematic. The one you gave us has some potential mistakes. The electrolytic capacitors seem to be reversed. Not sure of what the effects would be but I wouldn't personnally try. The anode of 2.2uF should be connected to the base of Q1, not the other way around. Same for the other electrolytic, the cathode should be grounded.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by Spike6sic6

EDIT 2: Use ForsaknAzrael's schematic. The one you gave us has some potential mistakes. The electrolytic capacitors seem to be reversed. Not sure of what the effects would be but I wouldn't personnally try. The anode of 2.2uF should be connected to the base of Q1, not the other way around. Same for the other electrolytic, the cathode should be grounded.

thanks for pointing out the flaws. now for forsakn's diagram, would i still use the metal film resistors? what is fuzz1kb? what would i use for Q1 and Q2 as there are multiple listed there. would i use a circuit board to solder on?

are their any good guides or faq's around for people like me who haven't dont this type of stuff before that you know of?

thanks for you patience with all of my questions, as this is something i really want to learn how to do.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thanks for pointing out the flaws. now for forsakn's diagram, would i still use the metal film resistors? what is fuzz1kb? what would i use for Q1 and Q2 as there are multiple listed there. would i use a circuit board to solder on?

are their any good guides or faq's around for people like me who haven't dont this type of stuff before that you know of?

thanks for you patience with all of my questions, as this is something i really want to learn how to do.

I've never really experienced with resistors before. It's not something I consider being so important. I mean transistors and capacitors have much more effect on your sound. I'd say use metal films like he said.

Fuzz1kb=1k potentiometer. ForsaknAzrael suggested a 2k pot instead, you could try that.

For the transistors, any of the listed ones should work. You could buy them all and experiment a bit.

And yes when you're done and happy with the result, you should solder it on a board. When you do so, make sure you use as less wires as possible. You want the wires to also be as straight as possible. Don't have loads of wires going everywhere. What I like to do is, don't cut the extra pins on your resistors/capacitors/transistors. Use them as traces instead; for example, the 2.2uF capacitor. Don't cut the anode's pin, bend it and make it reach the base of Q1, and solder both together. Then you can cut off the excess.

A good trick to the layout, most people actually draw what the board will end up like. Try to minimise the wires as much as possible, and when it seems correct to you, you can start soldering.

On an experimenting note, I recommend you to get a breadboard(http://www.hiviz.com/kits/instructions/images/bb_002.jpg). You can get one for like 10$. You can build your pedal on there, experiment with the transistors and pots etc, and if it all works like you want, you can start building the actual pedal. The breadboard requires no soldering, which is a BIG plus for experimentations.

And yeah there are plenty of forums for help on the web. Do some research on google and you should be able to find a few good ones.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 20, 2010,
The schematic you posted is for PNP (positive ground). You CAN build it like this, but it's harder to bias germanium transistors, and they can be unstable in hot weather. Additionally, they're more expensive.
And from a practical point of view, you can't daisy chain them with normal negative ground pedals.

So the one I posted is negative ground, with silicon transistors.

I suggested metal film resistors because they will be quieter than carbon film. I don't recommend ceramic capacitors, I would rather have poly film ones. I would say metal film, but the only metal film caps at smallbearelec.com are rather big.

For transistors, I recommend order maybe 2-3 multiples of the ones I recommended.

Smallbearelec will also have the perfboard you need to solder onto.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jul 20, 2010,