So...

My band consists (consisted) of myself playing guitar, a bassist, keyboard, drums, and the singer. We have a great gig coming up next week, but we just found out that our bassist isn't going to be able to make it.

We have around 10 songs that we'll be playing, so I doubt we have time to grab a new guy and teach him everything (the gig is next Thursday). Our singer (who is pretty unknowledgeable about being a musician) is asking our keyboardist to take on the bass role in on the keyboard in addition to the parts that are already being played. Needless to say I don't think that'll work well.

All I can think of right now is to crank the bass on my guitar and try to fill in a little more space.

I don't know what types of ideas to even ask for, but if anyone has any suggestions as to what we can do to prepare for this gig I'd greatly appreciate it.
If the keyboardist is any good, adding bass shouldn't be a problem.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
if your keyboardist is good enough, he should be able to do both, but in truth, it would depend on the style of music you play
Quote by Kevy Absolution
If the keyboardist is any good, adding bass shouldn't be a problem.

+1

Your singer actually has the right idea. A keyboardist should easily be able to fill the low end. If they can't, it might be time to find a new keyboardist. Of course, this also depends on the complexity of the parts your keyboardist are playing, but if anything, drop the entire keyboard part (or just the left hand) down an octave.

Your idea of turning the bass up will fail miserably. Tone =/= pitch.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Last edited by Black Star at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by Black Star
+1

Your singer actually has the right idea. A keyboardist should easily be able to fill the low end. If they can't, it might be time to find a new keyboardist. Of course, this also depends on the complexity of the parts your keyboardist are playing, but if anything, drop the entire keyboard part (or just the left hand) down an octave.

Your idea of turning the bass up will fail miserably. Tone =/= pitch.

Yea I'm aware of the fact that the bass knob doesn't lower the frequency. And yes it is a useless idea. A backing track isn't really an option since there parts of songs that don't have pre-specified lengths (we play off the crowd's energy in several parts). I guess letting the keyboard take over really is the best option unless we miraculously find another guy.

Wish us luck!

Either way I'm sure the story will be worthy of the gig stories thread...
Bass>Keyboard. Nuff said.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by 6stringbassist
Bass>Keyboard. Nuff said.

this, does your keyboardist know how to play the bass, make him just strap it on for a gig.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
You could go the Jack White road and use a whammy pedal set to 2 octaves below into a different amp, it does give a pretty raunchy sound though.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

News! But it's mixed....

So...

I found a bassist willing to learn the songs over the weekend. I informed the band of this great news and behold, the keyboardist sends a reply basically stating that she wouldn't feel comfortable playing without the 'original' band and that if we can't get the original bassist back she's dropping out of the concert.

FML she was essential to our sound. In my opinion she's just nervous about playing her first real gig and should just man up and do it. Any thoughts?

tl;dr Lost bassist....found new bassist....as a result lost keyboardist.....fml
Quote by youngapprentice
News! But it's mixed....

So...

I found a bassist willing to learn the songs over the weekend. I informed the band of this great news and behold, the keyboardist sends a reply basically stating that she wouldn't feel comfortable playing without the 'original' band and that if we can't get the original bassist back she's dropping out of the concert.

FML she was essential to our sound. In my opinion she's just nervous about playing her first real gig and should just man up and do it. Any thoughts?

She's gonna have to get used to that, very few bands keep the "original" lineup for very long, and bands that are just starting out tend to lose and gain members very quickly, it's just something she'll have to get used to and if she can't then it's probably best that she does leave.

Unless you're a symphonic metal band, or something that relies heavily on keys, the bass will almost certainly be more important than keyboards, to be honest, just make sure the bassist will actually learn the songs before you lose your keyboard player over him.
Quote by SilentHeaven109
She's gonna have to get used to that, very few bands keep the "original" lineup for very long, and bands that are just starting out tend to lose and gain members very quickly, it's just something she'll have to get used to and if she can't then it's probably best that she does leave.

I agree. As long as the people involved can do their job I don't see what her problem is.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by youngapprentice
News! But it's mixed....

So...

How necessary is the keyboard part? Is it really "essential"? For most genres I'd take a bassist over a keyboardist any day. Sure, a good keyboardist should be able to make up for there being no bassist but a mediocre keyboardist wouldn't be as useful in this situation as a mediocre bassist.

And to be honest, these guys don't sound like great band members. Why is the bassist dropping out of a gig the week before (I'm assuming you checked with everyone before agreeing to play the gig)? To me, it doesn't sound like he's that commited to the band.

And if the keyboardist is fine with dropping out and leaving you in the lurch for getting a replacement bassist then she really does not sound worth keeping in the band - she's unreasonable, unreliable and doesn't seem to care about the band at all.
Quote by youngapprentice
News! But it's mixed....

So...

Jesus Christ. Tell her to tuck her skirt in a STFU.
Things happen and sometimes you need a fill in for a show once in a while.
Well one issue is that the singer (who is not much of a musician) wrote all the songs with just keyboards and a few drum parts. The bassist and I (the guitarist) were left to write our own parts to fit with what's already there.

I agree with irweohj.... about our keyboardist, she needs to just man up and play the gig, but it doesn't look like that'll happen. Currently our singer is searching for a new keyboardist

Dont knock the bassist though, he actually has a good excuse.

Our singer contacted the venue and they won't let her reschedule/cancel, so no matter what, we're gonna have a 2 hour show of....something

I say again, whatever ensues will be worthy of telling UG im sure haha
Quote by youngapprentice

Our singer contacted the venue and they won't let her reschedule/cancel, so no matter what, we're gonna have a 2 hour show of....something

So you guys have 10 songs, and 2 hours to fill yeah? That should be fine if the songs have an average length of 12 mins each.

Don't book the gig if you're not ready - guess it's time to reap the consequences.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud