Hey, i have a hard time choosing what to do. Im buying a new amp in the 650$ range and a whammy but I dont know what to buy!

im thinking of the peavey vypyr tube 60 and the sanpera pedal but im playing in a band and will probably gig a couple times a year at the same time i like to play a lot at home and record covers etc.

The other option is to buy an amp in the 650 dollar range and buy a digitech whammy wich i can use when im lending an better amp when gigging and use when i play on my own amp. problem is i dont know what amp to buy, the bugeras isnt an option because they are really expensive where i live.

What do you think i should do? should i go with the peavey?

The band i play in is a pop-punk band much like set your goals, four year strong etc
Some of your post is very hard to read.

Whereabouts is it that you live?

You could probably get yourself a better amp for that money.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I live in sweden, im buying the amp from http://www.thomann.de/gb which has the best prices around. I have thought of buying a used amp but there are not a great amount of used amps here in sweden.
So are you talking US dollars? or Euros?

Thomann usually have good prices, yeah.

So you would like an amp that's good for 'pop-punk'? I'm not familer with those bands, but I assume that by pop punk you mean Blink 182 and shit like that? Is there anything else that you would like the amp to be capable of?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Well i just said us dollars because most of the people here is from the us, but i will be paying in swedish kronors. 8 swedish kronors = 1 dollar, 13 swedish kronors = 1 gbp

It should have a decent clean channel and good distorted tone that needs to be a little heavy. I thought that buying the vypyr would save me some money on the pedal side but built in effects are not a requirement.

Sorry if its hard to understand what i write, im really tired right now.
I am going to say go with the Peavey and Sanpera pedal.
Although I don't have experience with it, I almost bought one; it looks like a great amp. You have your wide range of amp models and effects, the Vypyr 60 is tube (One 12AX7 and two 6L6GC tubes) AND it has the USB interface for recording.
You didn't say US dollars, you just said $, that could mean many things. But no worries, so how many Swedish Kronors do you have to spend on an amp? 4,800 or so?

The Vypyr is a very good low priced amp if you're looking for a wide veriety of tone, especially the tube one, but it's not really a true tube amp. If you are looking for specific tones then most people would argue that a true all-tube amp of some kind would suite you better, if you can afford it.

Do you need it to be high-gain enough for metal?

So you need an amp that is loud enough to gig with?

Do you definatly need to buy a whammy within that same budget?

Apoligies about the comment that your post was hard to understand, I didn't realise that you're Swedish and English probably isn't your first language. It's just that we get a lot of retards here that live in English speaking countries yet don't seem to be able to speak English.
I want to pay a maximum of 6000 swedish kronors for the amp.

The amp needs to have gain enough for lighter metal.

When gigging i will probably lend an amp + cab and thats what i wanted the whammy for because if i get a vypyr + sanpera i cant use the sanpera for the amp im lending.

But the amp should definetly be louder than a crazy drummer.

In a year or so i will get access to a lot of money, im thinking about buying head + cab and all the equipment. I just want something thats good enough to practice at home and jamming with a loud drummer.
Last edited by elleild at Jul 20, 2010,
For your situation then, I would definatly recommend a Peavey Vypyr tube. They're very good amps for the money, and if you will be upgrading again in the future, it dosn't matter too much about getting something that is really made for you.

Go for the Peavey, they're veratile, they can play almost any genre, they're loud.
Haha, no worries man.
Nice to se another swede here!

I'd say, buy a used Peavey Classic 30. It's about 4-5000 sek. With a Bad Monkey (overdrive) you could get a light metal sound. And the cleans are really warm and nice.
What amp are you going to borrow for gigs? A 30w valve amp is really enough.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by FuzzLove
You didn't say US dollars, you just said $, that could mean many things.
No , it doesn't mean many things. It's *the* symbol for US dollar.
^ Pretty much. I doubt most people on here are going to be using CAD.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ Pretty much. I doubt most people on here are going to be using CAD.

I use CAD...
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
^ Not much point, really, most prices are listed in USD anyways except in local Kijiji/Craigs listings.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ Not much point, really, most prices are listed in USD anyways except in local Kijiji/Craigs listings.

Haha I know, I was playing the devil's advocate. You, coming from Kingston, should be promoting the CAD anyways!!!

There really isn't a point in using CAD with musical equipment, especially since CAD has been so close to par with USD for quite some time. My favourite day this year was when our dollar was worth more than the American dollar
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Once again if you have $650 and you blow it on a vypyr you will kick yourself later. Literally tones of other amps you could look at.

5150, 6505, a Marshall JCM, Egnator, Orange, Laney, Bugera, Jet City, Mesa, etc. etc. etc. etc.

The vypyr is probably the worst amp you could get for $650
the 5150 and 6505 are so much better than the vypyr. You can get a brand new 6505+ combo for $600 even. Worlds better than the vypyr.

KEEP IN MIND THE VYPYR IS ONLY A HYBRID, NOT ALL TUBE

I would not reccomend a vypyr to anyone looking for an amp worth more than $99, aka a first practice amp. With what else is out there it is dumb to buy a hybrid modeler when you have your pick at tons of good all tube amps in the same price range.

Why the vypyr is the first amp everyone looks at I will never understand. You won't be able to gig or record well with one either.
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 20, 2010,
If you can get your hands on one, a JCA20H would be perfect, all you'd need is a boost. Look into it, they're great amps.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
'$' just means dollars, they use dollars in many different countries, not just the USA, that's definatly true.
Quote by CL/\SH
If you can get your hands on one, a JCA20H would be perfect, all you'd need is a boost. Look into it, they're great amps.

I agree.
i bought the combo version and it is fantastic.
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
I paid 600 for my used 6505 head, i would definitely take a look at some of the amps handbanana listed, or the jca20 that was mentioned as well. You could do better than a modeler in that price range.
Guitars
Amps
Hell Yeah the Peavey Vypyr Tube sounds amazing!!!! Great amp for the price!
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
A quick look at the website you provided a link to brings up quite a few amps that have great tone and are probably powerful enough to gig with without borrowing anything

http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_6505_112_combo.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_ht_club_40_venue_combo.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_ht_soloist_60_venue_combo.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_thunder_50_e322_roehrencombo.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca5212rc.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_vypyr_tube_60.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_jmd501.htm

Personally I'd go for a full valve amp but maybe I'm a bit of a valve snob. Blackstar, Engl and Jet City are well worth a look. The Vypyr Tube 60 is a good amp and very versatile but doesn't have the purity of tone that a full valve amp does. I would point out that the Tube 60 should be loud enough to gig with unless your bandmates use gear that is moving a lot of air so if you're going to borrow equipment for gigging, why get an amp that powerful? Save your cash and just get a Vypyr 30 instead.

I'd still get a full valve amp though
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1