I'm thinking of replacing the bridge pickup on my Ibanez RG7321 but having a hard time choosing between two. Should i get a Paf-7 or a Tone Zone 7? I'm going for a low-end, clean, distorted sound without going Baritone/Bass low, with good use for the Low B string.
There is no such thing as the 'best' 7 string pick-up, it's all about what you personally prefer.

If you can, listen to demos of both of these pickups and choose which one you like the most.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
That's like asking "what is the best apple?"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would say for the bridge go with the Tone Zone7. I haven't personally used the 7 string version of that pickup but the 6 string ver. is quite nice and really a great Pup. I think it'll do for you what you are looking for the PAF is a bit warmer and really a better suited neck Pup IMO. I have a Blaze 7 which is what the universe uses in my fender and that works pretty good as well really did wonders for a squier.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
It's still like asking "what is the best apple?". Some will say an EMG like an 81-7 and others will say to stay away from actives altogether.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Different pickups offer different sounds, I'm wanting as i explained in the info. It has NOTHING to do with opinion if i offer what i'm wanting.
Quote by Cathbard
It's still like asking "what is the best apple?". Some will say an EMG like an 81-7 and others will say to stay away from actives altogether.

Yep, exactly.

You have to make up your own mind with things like this.

Also, you want a clean distorted sound? Do you mean that you would like the pickup to sound good both clean and distorted? If not, I don't know what you mean.

Also, what amp do you have?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I have 2 different amps. I got a $200 DOD Grunge Amp & some $300 white Vox amp. I don't have the amp with me atm so i don't know the model name.
Sounds like you don't have a particularly good amp.

You should never change your pick-ups until you have a good amp, the amp that you really want, an amp makes a lot more difference to the overall tone than the pickups do, unless the pickups are absolutly terrible.

Your amp if your base, your main bulk of your tone, your pickups are for tweaking and accenting your tone.

You're probably better off saving money for a new amp first, trust me.
Well like all RG7321 owners, everyone changed their pickups. I've been on ebay looking for some the stock pickups are literally $14-$20 dollars. Very muddy & weak.
That's because most people that play guitar are idiots.

Chaging your pickups when you have a bad amp is a completly stupid idea, anyone that knows what they're talking about will tell you that.

I know that changing pickups seems exciting and stuff, but it's not worth it unless you have something really good to listen to them through.

As you don't even know what the model of your amp is, I'm going to assume that you don't know much about tone. I am advising you in good faith to save for a better amp first and buy that, before you even think about changing your pickups.

But you know what they say about making assumptions.
What? No even professional reviewers don't like them. There muddy and out of control even with the mesa boogie as heard on youtube, no one likes them.
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

I use the 7 string Warpig is a Schecter. Great pup, can't recommend it enough.

The BKP Nailbombs and Painkillers seem like good choices for more technical stuff, while the Cold Sweats are a better choice I you want more definition.
Quote by Nightgaunt
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

I use the 7 string Warpig is a Schecter. Great pup, can't recommend it enough.

The BKP Nailbombs and Painkillers seem like good choices for more technical stuff, while the Cold Sweats are a better choice I you want more definition.

^^this. expensive but "the best".
Also, a video on youtube means nothing. The video and sound get so compressed it wont sound the same at all. But admittedly Ibby pickups do suck. The amp is more important though. Process of upgrade=Amp, then pickups. Trust me, you'll get the new amp and be all "wow this thing sounds great!" then you'll change your pickups and be all "ohhhhh my gooooooooood."
Quote by t heff
so perry how would u test the tightness of a pocket on a neck through? i mean if it can hold the wings to it then its ****ing amazing without glue
Youtube tone demos should be avoided like the plague. 99% of them sound like they were recorded using a cell phone or something.

The BKPs are expensive, relatively speaking, about $120-$135 a whack. But they really do sound better than a DiMarzio or an SD. Of course "sounding better" is a purely subjective term, but I do have to say that the one I have is one of, if not, the best sounding pups I've ever used.

A good amp though is still going to do more to improve your tone than an expensive pups will. Also, a good amp doesn't have to break the bank. You can get a Peavey Butcher or VTM (both JCM 800 clones), a Sovtek, a Jet City, or a Lee Jackson amp for under $300 if you look hard enough. Get a 2X12 from Avatar and you're all set.
he probably has a Vox AC4TV, and the DOD Grunge is not an amp, it's a distortion pedal. Will probably be very hard to make it sound like Korn no matter what other gear he uses.

Ibanez INF3 & INF4 are really not that bad. However don't overlook active pickups like the 81-7 and Blackout 7, as you might like how br00tal they are (lol) because of the higher output.
can you take a picture of the dod amp? They don't list it on their site in the discontinued products. They don't list making any amps ever actually. I'm thinking maybe someone just put a sticker from that pedal on the amp.
Quote by FRr3AkOnALEaSh
Well my amp says DOD Grunge, as titled on the front of the amp.

Sounds like somebody took the sticker off of a distortion pedal and put it on your amp...

I agree with most of the people on here. Don't upgrade your pups unless you're happy with your amp (which sounds like an AC4 to me, not the best amp in the world...)

EDIT: After Googling, I realized you don't mean "DOD Grunge", you mean "DOD Grind".
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Last edited by Jimmy_Page_Zep at Jul 20, 2010,
Check out the Crunch Lab 7 string version as well. I have the 6 string version, and it sounds massive!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Holy mother of Jebus.
I can't believe you deleted your other thread - talk about throwing your toys out of the pram

Your amp is 15 watts.
It's rare but nothing special tonally and completely the opposite of what you need if you want clarity and definition from a 7 string guitar.

You need a new amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I can't believe you deleted your other thread - talk about throwing your toys out of the pram

Your amp is 15 watts.
It's rare but nothing special tonally and completely the opposite of what you need if you want clarity and definition from a 7 string guitar.

You need a new amp.

+1
and again I am going to tell you to change your eq if what's in the picture is what you play.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
I deleted it because i felt like an idiot =(. I'm completely new to guitars and taught myself to play. I only know very little about music/instruments. Well my other amp is a VOX DA5, that any good =S. Also my dad has a big ass amp which i haven't used in ages, has like 30 nobs.
Quote by FRr3AkOnALEaSh
I deleted it because i felt like an idiot =(. I'm completely new to guitars and taught myself to play. I only know very little about music/instruments. Well my other amp is a VOX DA5, that any good =S. Also my dad has a big ass amp which i haven't used in ages, has like 30 nobs.

You felt like an idiot because you were an idiot. When everyone in a thread tells you you need a new amp they're probably right.

The DA5 is likely to be better than the Grunge but neither are spectacular, your Dad's amp will probably blow both of them out of the water but that's not yours. Upgrade your amp and stop going for pickups first.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I advice you to immediately delete this thread and read the guitar amp faq stickied on this forum.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by FRr3AkOnALEaSh
I found out what amp he has. He has a Peavey Bandit 112... Any good?

By all reports better but still really not good. You want better tone you need to upgrade.

For future reference: more knobs =/= better.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.

TWIST TURN TWIST!!!!!!!!!!!
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by rokket2005
except when it says Fortin on the front
http://www.fortinamps.com/images/MeatheadFrontLarge_Gallery.jpg

... my god...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by FRr3AkOnALEaSh

Why did YOU feel like an idiot when we were all the ones telling you your amp didn't exist when it did?

For future reference most amps will display 2 power ratings, one for the amount of power they use and one for the amount of power they actually output. Consumption is usually higher, but output is the one that actually has any bearing on how loud the amp is going to be.

The DA5 is probably a bit better because it'll likely have amp models that are better voiced for lower frequencies - pickups aren't really going to make a huge difference, if any. Also they're a poor value investment, you don't really get an awful lot for the money you shell out - even more so in Australia where you get hammered on gear prices.

A Peavey Bandit is a solid, if unspectacular, workhorse of an amp, they have great cleans, a useable drive channel and are built like tanks. Your 7-string will definitely sound better through it as it has a larger speaker which will handle those lower notes better - however as a long term plan for you it's probably worth looking at something like the Peavey Vypyr 30, you'd have to save up a little more but it's a decent sounding amp with a good range of tones and effects to play with.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com