A few months ago I was painting an RG I got on ebay. After it was painted I was unmasking the neck pocket. There was this really thin fabric shim in the neck pocket and when I took a good look at it after the unmasking the shim was missing and I couldn't find it. So I put it back together. For awhile I have noticed the strings are not parallel with the neck. When I am bending strings it feels like there is a resistance or stiffness to them that I have never experienced while playing my father's telecaster or any other guitar. They even pop out of the trem sometimes, but I can usually put them back in with no problem. I was wondering if the missing shim may be the cause of this, or if it can cause other problems. If it is not can someone tell me how to fix this?
Last edited by Frankenstein316 at Jul 20, 2010,
I'm leaning on a wobbly desk and I notice that there was a folded business card underneath one leg and it's not there anymore. How can I fix this?
I was not sure if the thickness of a shim had a precise thickness to it or not, because this thing was small and I am afraid anything I could put in would be too thick and screw things up in another way. Would missing a shim cause my problem?
Quote by Frankenstein316
A few months ago I was painting an RG I got on ebay. After it was painted I was unmasking the neck pocket. There was this really thin fabric shim in the neck pocket and when I took a good look at it after the unmasking the shim was missing and I couldn't find it. So I put it back together. For awhile I have noticed the strings are not parallel with the neck. When I am bending strings it feels like there is a resistance or stiffness to them that I have never experienced while playing my father's telecaster or any other guitar. They even pop out of the trem sometimes, but I can usually put them back in with no problem. I was wondering if the missing shim may be the cause of this, or if it can cause other problems. If it is not can someone tell me how to fix this?

idk man but are you from witchita? you sn
Peavey XXX
B-52 AT 100
Peavey XXl cab
Boss Gt10
Jackson dinky
PRS Paul Alender SE
Quote by Frankenstein316
For awhile I have noticed the strings are not parallel with the neck. When I am bending strings it feels like there is a resistance or stiffness to them that I have never experienced while playing my father's telecaster or any other guitar.

A neck shim is there to raise the action near the nut..I dont think its the root to all of your problems

did you remove the neck while repainting?that sounds like imperfect string alignment

as for the tigtness, you probably must be using a higher gauge of strings
Uh, I highly doubt it. If it was a shim, it would of been made out of wood, not fabric, and if it was gone and should of been there, then the only thing I can think of is just throwing off the intonation, or the action.

And a RG is a completely different guitar than a Tele, you can't even compare them.

Every guitar plays differently.
Take a small strip of sandpaper and put it under the neck , they do this sometimes to get the angle of the neck right.
I did not change the gauge, I use 9's. I did switch to the 9's with a heavy bottom for a little bit, but I did switch back to plain 9's. I also did take the neck off while I painted, but I masked it, however a little paint may have got on the edges.
I may just need this guitar to get a full setup. I guess I shouldn't compare it to a Telecaster, but every guitar I have ever tried at Samash including other Ibanez's have not had that issue, that is why I think there is something wrong with mine.