Poll: How much do you like rap?
Poll Options
View poll results: How much do you like rap?
I really hate rap.
68 17%
I kind of dislike rap
46 12%
I tolerate rap.
46 12%
Rap is ok I guess.
75 19%
I really like rap.
119 30%
I don't care about rap.
37 9%
Voters: 391.
Page 1 of 6
Why do so much metal heads hate rap with a passion?
I like metal more than any other genre I really enjoy the music, but there is some good rap imo. Obviously you have to look through a lot of rappers to find something you like, I don't really like the whole auto tune thing, but I really like some of that gangster rap i guess it's called. I mean some of those guys have some writing skills, I could never rhyme as good as them.
So pit how much do you like rap?
Do you only listen to rap or do you rock out too?
You just opened a can of worms, TS, now the consequences will never be the same.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
If you've met one metalhead... you've met one metalhead. They don't all dislike rap.

That will be all.
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
Last edited by Aeolian Harmony at Jul 20, 2010,
I don't listen to rap; but I'll still call it music. Just not my type do. Most metal heads might hate rap because they may think it's fake music and "mainstream".
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
just so you know, most rap fans really dislike alot of mainstream rap, just like alot of metal fans dislike mainstream metal.

Rap is a perfectly valid genre, and whoever judges it by what they hear on the radio is just stupid.
You haven't met a lot of metalheads, I guess.
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
I enjoy some rap music. Mind you I wouldn't really describe myself as a metalhead particularly.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Rap is ok. I like rappers who are clever with their lyrics. Plus I like sub-bass.
cig
Works both ways. People who like rap would probably look at metal as "RRRRRRRAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRR I HATE MY LIFE! DEATH. I'M GOING TO RAPE AND MURDER MY FAMILY RRAAAAAAAWWWWWWRRRRRR NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER AAARRRGGGGGGHHH"
as i type i am listening to BTBAM, i just listened through the new eminem cd, and i love immortal technique.
so i like both types of music
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by vsdornelas
I've got nothing against rap, though I dislike rap with no reason, also known as " i got money i got bitchez" rap.

this.

early eminem for example..was good rap, with proper lyrics, how it's meant to be.
Quote by CoreysMonster
just so you know, most rap fans really dislike alot of mainstream rap, just like alot of metal fans dislike mainstream metal.

Rap is a perfectly valid genre, and whoever judges it by what they hear on the radio is just stupid.

My thoughts exactly.
It's not like jamming lil wayne or something(he palys guitar rly bad wtf lolol).
But I'm not a "true metal head" anymore apparently because i like blues and rap.
I shouldn't drive around listening to easy e I guess, people will call me a fag lol.
Quote by silversoulcage
I love all kinds of music. Jazz, Country, R&B, metal, classical. It's all amazing.

Rap sucks.

AAAND YOOOU'RE OUUUTTA HEEEEERE!

I voted dislike. I'm not a metal-head... I listen to most anything, but there are very few rap songs that I'll actually go out of my way to download. But usually I really like the song, or I just can't stand it, and since I rarely like rap songs, it's mostly dislike.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Also any metal head that calls himself a metal head probably isn't a metal head. Also I feel that "mainstream" has lost it's meaning like "overrated'.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by leg end
Works both ways. People who like rap would probably look at metal as "RRRRRRRAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRR I HATE MY LIFE! DEATH. I'M GOING TO RAPE AND MURDER MY FAMILY RRAAAAAAAWWWWWWRRRRRR NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER AAARRRGGGGGGHHH"

They're right to think that sometimes...
Depends on the rap.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
i liek rap yo
N.W.A is some good gangsta ass music R.I.P EAZY E

i don't know why people can't keep an open mind and experience and enjoy all that life has to offer..
Last edited by metalheadblues at Jul 20, 2010,
I love rap, same as I love metal, blues, jazz, indie etc
I judge a song on the actual song rather then what genre it is
But anyway, if you say you hate a whole genre, then you haven't looked hard enough
Quote by metalheadblues
i liek rap yo
N.W.A is some good gangsta ass music R.I.P EASY E

i don't know why people can't keep an open mind and experience and enjoy all that life has to offer..

If I had to choose a rapper to listen to, it'd be Easy E

I do like the people who say "I listen to everything! but rap..."
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by leg end

I won't let someones close minded opinions keep me from branching out and finding new music. So I could care less what rappers think about metal

and srsly I wouldn't be surprised if that were lyrics for a bad metal song.
Quote by Gods_Gift
But anyway, if you say you hate a whole genre, then you haven't looked hard enough

It's like listening to Deathcore(Example. Due to the hate on this genre) and saying this band sucks(which in turn probably does) with out hearing bands in that genre that are actually good.

Quote by due 07

I make music sometimes.
I like rap like p.o.s. I don't like rap like on the radio
I let you get away so cleanly.
Some rap is.... tolerable. I can put up with proper rap, I wouldn't choose to listen to it, but if it's on I will. Can't stand that bullshit you hear/see on radio/TV. I still find it hard to call any form of rap music though.
Quote by levi.lydat
I won't let someones close minded opinions keep me from branching out and finding new music. So I could care less what rappers think about metal

and srsly I wouldn't be surprised if that were lyrics for a bad metal song.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were the lyrics for a good metal song...
I like Jazz, Progressive Rock, Blues, and a lot of Heavy Metal. But see, for me, if something is too simplistic, I can't stand it. If a Metal band plays the same 3-chord riff over and over, I get annoyed; if all their songs are like that, I don't listen to them. With MOST (I said most, not all) rap, there's not a lot of talent. I also refuse to call rap "music", because, to me, music is defined as something with a melody and a rhythm; rap only has rhythm.

However, I will admit that a lot of older rap is actually good. Tupac, for one. It's just that most commercial rap is pretty much an embarrassment, in terms of skill and lyrical and rhythmic accomplishment.
Any kind of music must be good in the very least at the aspect(s) it chooses to emphasize. So some genres focus mainly on composition, others are all about vocal ability, others are about instrumental (and within that instrument specific). But they have to be good at least at what they focus on. Hip hop focuses mainly on beats and vocals, however in the vast vast majority of rap - not just in mainstream - either the vocalist isn't good (or does nothing interesting with their vocals which amounts to the same thing), or the beat is simple and generic, or both. Despite having many friends that are into "underground" rap and just hip hop in general I have heard only perhaps 5 songs (max) that I thought excelled in the aspect that they focused on.

So while I do not dislike hip hop in general, I dislike almost all hip hop in specific.

For reference I like at least some of every type of music, however my favourites are various subs of classical, jazz, and metal.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by leg end
I wouldn't be surprised if they were the lyrics for a good metal song...

lulz.
add a little bit more gore and you got a cannibal corpse song for sure.
Quote by Gods_Gift

exactly.

I really don't like most country music, but I'll be damned if J. Cash's "Ring of Fire" doesn't have me singing along every single time.
Quote by levi.lydat
lulz.
add a little bit more gore and you got a cannibal corpse song for sure.

"RRRRRRRAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRR I HATE MY LIFE! DEATH. I'M GOING TO RAPE AND MURDER MY FAMILY [with a pitchfork] RRAAAAAAAWWWWWWRRRRRR NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER AAARRRGGGGGGHHH"

amidoinitrite?
almost every "metalhead" who flat out says they hate rap, without giving it a fair listen is just trying to fit in to the idea of what a "metalhead" should be and are therefore a type of poser. It is ok to listen to an like rap, while still enjoying metal music, most "metalheads" nowadays refuse to believe that. Many just try to fit into the label now.

In my opinion, rap like tu-pac, eminem and the more oldschool rappers was good, but the more recent rap isn't as captivating, but hell, I'd say that about metal too
Quote by megano28
almost every "metalhead" who flat out says they hate rap, without giving it a fair listen is just trying to fit in to the idea of what a "metalhead" should be and are therefore a type of poser. It is ok to listen to an like rap, while still enjoying metal music, most "metalheads" nowadays refuse to believe that. Many just try to fit into the label now.

In my opinion, rap like tu-pac, eminem and the more oldschool rappers was good, but the more recent rap isn't as captivating, but hell, I'd say that about metal too

This man speaks the truth.
I like both metal and rap. There are "bad" artists in every genre and people shouldn't judge just by the radio.