I was intending on building a few more instruments to sell in the immediate future, and I had some ideas, but I'm not sure how they would work, copyright wise. If I were to use, say an old metal sign for (example) Winchester Rifles and Ammo (or Coka-Cola, or Texaco Gas... etc.) in my design, would that cause any problems? Likewise, if I were to use, say, an old vintage WWII poster or something, would having something like that made into my instrument cause issues?
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
good question. i think as long as it's not advertised as official merchandise you should be ok. but you might wanna check that.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Where abouts would I check that? I mean, I think the "propoganda" posters would be ok.. Who would sue me? the ARMY? Uncle Sam? For using an out-of-print poster? Doubt it.

The coke signs and stuff might cause more issue.. Just not sure how I can be sure, you know?
-Edgar Degas
Big companies like Winchester and Coke only care about one thing. Money. If your selling a few instruments they aren't going to give a crap what you put on them. However if you were making a fortune, and they saw you using something of theirs to get that fortune, then they'd be on you like stink on shit.

In other words, if you aren't making tons of money for them to get their hands on, then your okay.
Sounds fine to me. I doubt I'll ever be making anything more than enough to cover my expenses. Also, if the company's out of business, do I need to even worry?
-Edgar Degas
If you put their name on something and sell it then you could experience some problems that are more then likely not worth it, risky it is.
Not exactly their name. Just their sign. it would still be my brand instrument. Nowhere would I advertise it as a "Coca-Cola" guitar. Kinda like the lego guitar that was built on here recently. But if it were to be sold under the title of like "Childhood Memories Guitar."
-Edgar Degas
^I'm working for my law degree, i believe i can help.

In general, as stated above, one or two made and sold probably wouldn't even turn up on the companies radar. If they did find out, they would lose thousands of dollars in a law suit, even if they did win.

Is it completely legal? No.
Could you get away with a few guitars? Yes.

If it's a poster like the WWII ones you mentioned, more than likely those copyrights have expired. The possibilities of a lawsuit would be coming from the printing companies who may have purchased the rights to reprint those.

This may not be my type of law, but i believe that should be the answers you need.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
If you do make a Coke guitar, please make the knobs bottlecaps and post pictures. I've always wanted to do that
Quote by Koelker12
If you do make a Coke guitar, please make the knobs bottlecaps and post pictures. I've always wanted to do that

and bottle caps off of glass coke bottles make good strap locks too
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
what the guy trying to get a law degree said. although the copyright (if there was any) on the ww2 poster wouldnt be expired, theres not going to be any problem.

and yeah as everyone else said, its not legal. by putting their brand (a picture of the cocacola design or anything like that is classed as their brand) on your guitar and making money (any money at all) its copyright infringement.
however as someone said, they would actually end up losing money in a law suit if they tried and that would mean they'd find out about it (which they wont, because a couple of guitars compared to them is nothing lol). so if its only a couple of guitars, it wont be a problem.
Ok, then. Thanks for the help everyone. I was just curious. And I doubt I would ever make more than one with any one company's logo. Also, Still didn't get an answer about businesses that have gone under. Like, per se, I make one using an old Dino Gasoline sign or something?
-Edgar Degas