a few months ago i bought a Peavey 6505+ combo and since i'm only 16, 600 bucks is a lot more money to me than most people. Of course I was into metal when I bought the amp and had been for the longest time (i still am by the way) but now i have matured even more as a musician and my primary genre is rock (think tones such as Foo Fighters, RHCP, Billy Talent, Kings of Leon, AC/DC etc.) and am currently the Lead Singer/Guitarist of a rock band that i have formed with some friends. of course now my guitar tones are not super high-gain anymore and more of a crunch sound along with cleans. So u guys probably already know my dilemma. the 6505+ has pretty terible cleans (the thing distorts way too easily) and not the best crunch tones either. So ya i feel like an idiot now for just blowing alot of my hard earned money on this amp (i was really determined to replace my god aweful Marshall valvestate tho) and now have cornered my self cause since i bought it not too long ago, i dont have the cash for something else now plus my parents arent gonna want me buying another amp already. Anybody have any advice on what i can do to achieve good clean and crunch sounds from this thing without having to get rid of it?
I'm sure that if you just turn the gain down on that amp, you'll be able to get some lower gain, rockier, crunchish tones out of it?

If you've really tried EQing it every way and truning the gain down and the volume up etc, you could get a Marshall/Crunch sounding OD pedal and run it on the clean channel?

Worse comes to worse, sell it and buy something else. You'll be able to get rid of a 6505 easily, but I'm not sure how much you'll get for it.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
I'm sure that if you just turn the gain down on that amp, you'll be able to get some lower gain, rockier, crunchish tones out of it?

If you've really tried EQing it every way and truning the gain down and the volume up etc, you could get a Marshall/Crunch sounding OD pedal and run it on the clean channel?

Worse comes to worse, sell it and buy something else. You'll be able to get rid of a 6505 easily, but I'm not sure how much you'll get for it.

Pretty much this. I don't go into into the genres as frequently as you would TS, but they seems plausible to do with this amp, I have one myself.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
This is why I buy most of my stuff used...
I can sell it for the same price I bought it.
The clean channel on the 6505+ shouldn't "distort too quickly," it's as easy as keeping the pregain knob down low on the amp. It really baffles me how people aren't able to get a clean tone out of those amps. I have a 5150 right now and I can turn the post gain to max on the clean channel and it's still clean as can be.

That amp is also fully capable of getting those levels of gain, maybe not the greatest tone for it, but just because most people who use the 6505+ are metal bands, doesn't mean it can ONLY do metal. Think outside of the box here - set up your clean channel with the gain low, and kick in the crunch switch for your rock tones. Use the lead channel for... well... leads.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I feel your pain man, I had bought a JSX halfstack after saving up for years, only to eventually discover what people always warn about half stacks: unnescessary power.

Basically, you have a few options:
-first off, learn from your mistakes, and make sure whatever amp you do get is versatile, and a value you can afford. I currently own a Peavey Vypyr combo, and though it doesnt have the best tones it does what I need.

Alright, so how to sell your amp and get the best deal? First off, try to sell it over ebay or craigslist, though be careful not to get scammed.

If that doesnt work, check with a local music store and see how much they offer you.

Obviousy there's an upside and downside to online versus in person, but explore your options. Hell, if I had some extra cash I'd def throw down for a Peavey 6505 combo so I'm sure you can find a buyer quick. Good luck!
you could also tame it down with different tubes
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Well ya i can get some pretty decent cleans out of it but what I mean by "distorts to quickly" is that when i play clean i use alot of 5 and 6 string chords plus i strum maybe a little harder than the average person so it distorts easier than playing single notes or 3 string chors etc.
Use your guitar's volume knob to get it cleaner. Turn the pregain knob lower and the post gain higher, and like MatrixClaw advised, use the crunch switch.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by MatrixClaw
The clean channel on the 6505+ shouldn't "distort too quickly," it's as easy as keeping the pregain knob down low on the amp. It really baffles me how people aren't able to get a clean tone out of those amps. I have a 5150 right now and I can turn the post gain to max on the clean channel and it's still clean as can be.

That amp is also fully capable of getting those levels of gain, maybe not the greatest tone for it, but just because most people who use the 6505+ are metal bands, doesn't mean it can ONLY do metal. Think outside of the box here - set up your clean channel with the gain low, and kick in the crunch switch for your rock tones. Use the lead channel for... well... leads.

This. Until I got my Diezel I used my 5150, not even the + model, for every genre and got pretty good tones for it all. You just have to actually sit down with it and fiddle.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
That is why I buy used, you could of had a different amp for merely the price of shipping. Sadly, you don't want to sell it because you would loose a lot of invested money.

Try turning down your lows/highs, replacing them with more mids, and using your guitars volume know to lessen the gain, versus the amps gain knob.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by locosenor13
I feel your pain man, I had bought a JSX halfstack after saving up for years, only to eventually discover what people always warn about 120 watt amps: unnescessary power.

fixed

Doesn't the 6505 have 2 inputs? At least that's what my VTM is like. The lo-gain input can actually get some nice cleans with a lot of headroom (need a boost for tube crunch on lo-gain), and with a bit of chorus they should sound as good as any other in a typical live setting.

EDIT: no it just has one input. You'll have to just monkey with the settings until you find a decent one.
Last edited by Tedward at Jul 20, 2010,
Ok, I am going to post again, cause I be trollin'

The cleans on the 6505+ can sound great with a tad of chorus, give it a try you may be very suprised. As far as gainy tonez, why don't you try boosting it with different overdrives/distortions infront? It will change the character of the amp greatly, especially if used as for its gain, and not its boost capabilities. Bring your guitar to a store with the combo and try out all they have, you may find something you like.

Can't you just make it sound awesome with your hands? Maybe you dig in too much for rock
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Raijouta
Use your guitar's volume knob to get it cleaner. Turn the pregain knob lower and the post gain higher, and like MatrixClaw advised, use the crunch switch.

this is the best advice that could be given
If you are REALLY REALLY REALLY unhappy with the slight crunch when you hit the strings hard, you could try swapping to a lower gain V1 tube and maybe V6 (assuming the layout is the same as the head). 12AT7 and 12AU7 Might be worth a look.

Also, this wouldnt be an expensive thing to try if you did decide it want the answer you want.
although there are various debates about whether he actually DID, if EVH could use a 5150 to make the 'brown sound' you can use it for something other than metal as well - what MatrixClaw said is very good advice, so Ima shut up now and just refer you back up to his post
Euro tubes offers some kits as options to tame the gain on the 6505 (link below). Though you wouldn't have to buy those kits, just the individual tubes recommended in them, since the 112 has fewer tubes than the 120 watt heads.

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=41

Another thing you could do is switch to low out put pups (single coils would be ideal IMO) or turn your volume pots way down.
im not really all that familiar with the amp but some simple tube swaps could possible help? use a lower gain 12AX7 varient in V1 and swap out the rest of the preamp tubes for some higher quality ones. the amp is biased really cold from what i know which seems to be a big factor in the gain structure of the amp. maybe a power tube swap and/or rebias would help too
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
You're fine with your 6505+ with those genres. The best advice I can give is to dial back your gain a bit, mess with your EQ, and possibly change out the speaker. I'm personally not a fan of the Sheffield speakers that Peavey uses, so maybe a Celestion Vintage 30 or an Eminence Governor would help you.