hello everyone ive been doing some searching online and on craigslist for a while looking for what kind of acoustic i would like.

i have ALWAYS dreamed of a Martin or Taylor
i have played an ibanez which was ok
and my esteban one now sounds fantastic
i went to GC to buy a new one and i couldnt find one that sounded nicer in my price range

anywhow im asking to see if anyone owns one or something similar (even a D-18)
and tell me what you think of it
and if i should jump on this offer

(im only 16) so 150 is tight for me until the beginning of august but if it really is worth what the new ones sell for then ill find a way to make it work.

its a 1941 so i dont expect immaculate condition but when people say hey thats a martin its something i can say yeah its from the 40's
and itd be my first "real" acoustic guitar.

please give me any opinions you may have

oh its only 150 cause his wife is selling it.. he just passed away..
GIYF dude... But a new D-18 sells for 2k.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
i know that the new ones sell for that high and they all have great reviews but the latest review i have found so far is a 73'

im still looking though
thanks for the advice
i found 2 of the same year online at schoemburg guitars
and i know these are probably in fantastic condtion but there askin 20 and 30 thousand dollars...

can someone explain why this is the way it is?
maybe pre war makes it worth more..or the condition+the age+ the guy cant price well..?
Go for it. If you don't like it, sell it on for over a grand. Job done. My friend has a 1960's D-18, it's extremely average in my eyes. Nothing special about it at all. But apparently they're amazing. Each to his own I guess.
thats true it would be very easy to re sell if need be

thanks for all the advice guys keep it comin
1941 Martin D-18s go for thousands even in bad shape. even the ones damaged enough that they won't play cost much more than $150. if it actually plays for $150, it's one of those amazing deals one rarely runs into. at that price, i'd be concerned if it was counterfeit - do you know the woman who's selling it?

btw, if it plays at all, it will smoke any esteban or ibanez.
that was my concern it would be counterfeit
but if the lady is older than dirt that chance will be very slim
i looked up how to tell if its counterfeit and ill apply those to the guitar when i see it

if it plays well regardless if its counterfeit i might just buy it anyways

i think one reason its so cheap is if her husband died she must be old
and if shes old she probably has no real need for the money just too much memories..im not
sure but..if its real..its a goldmine
you know, there ARE old criminals and con people. it's not like you hit 65 and suddenly become a law abiding citizen

but if it plays well - that's the bottom line. even if it were counterfeit, you'd have a good playing guitar with an interesting story.

Quote by Jusenjoi62
that was my concern it would be counterfeit
but if the lady is older than dirt that chance will be very slim
i looked up how to tell if its counterfeit and ill apply those to the guitar when i see it

if it plays well regardless if its counterfeit i might just buy it anyways

i think one reason its so cheap is if her husband died she must be old
and if shes old she probably has no real need for the money just too much memories..im not
sure but..if its real..its a goldmine

his experience is with an estaban and an ibanez, so he's not used to identifying higher end guitars. besides, there was an experienced pawnshop selling a counterfeit on ebay recently, so it's not like it's always that easy to tell.

Quote by Gargan
Can't you play it beforehand? And that way you can check its legitamacy
Last edited by patticake at Jul 20, 2010,
i know there are old cons but the numbers are sure to go down haha

i will play before hand and bring some pictures of the real thing to spot any flaws such as a different rosette or tuners or shape.

if i can run a serial number or something i havnt looked that part up yet
so i found all serial numbers will be on the inside on the neck block right under the truss rod

the last serial number for 1940 was 763734
and the last number for 1941 was 80013

i cant find any sort of serial number scanner for martin or anything like that but that will sure help quite a bit

any more advice or opinions?