I'm starting to form a band that I can really see as having potential. However, it seems that there are several people that seem to think the same thing. I wouldn't complain, but the count right now is... 3 singer/songwriter/guitarists, 1 bassist/possible singer, and zero drummers. Supposing I can find a drummer, that makes 5 of us. I understand a lot of bands have 5 members, but 3 guitar/singers seems a little overwhelming to me. We'd be playing pop-punk in the style of Green Day and similar bands. What's your opinion, UG?
If done right, it could be very cool! Not sure how well three guitars would work in pop-punk, but I think it'd be worth a try .
Ohai.

Actually from Canada.
I'm unsure of how it would sound, but what if there were 2 bassists and 2 guitarists? I would be fine switching or even alternating between songs. But would 2 bassists overpower the low end of the noise spectrum?
The only time you have too many members is when you have people in the band who just stand there the whole time not doing anything.

Edit: 3 guitars is perfectly fine, 2 bassists is pointless, unless one of them isn't plugged in.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Last edited by slaptasticdave at Jul 20, 2010,
I think it would be pretty awesome. Like TheIrishParrot said, you should learn to harmonize. Personally, I think that this would be able to work out well. Just make sure the parts aren't too different and complicated or it could be a mess. Since you're Pop/Punk I think a sort of two rhythm/one main would work, and then once a solo comes in, it should switch to one rhythm and a dual solo (two mains). Two bassists is pointless.
I think you REALLY need to have drums though if you're playing in the style of Green Day.
Ok, scratch the 2 bass idea lol. Sadly, this area has a severe drumming drought. I'd pick them up, but I have absolutely zero hand/foot coordination. Horizontal, what do you mean by a dual solo? Do you have an example? Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it!
Quote by Horizontal
I think it would be pretty awesome. Like TheIrishParrot said, you should learn to harmonize.

*Steals koslack's thunder*.

The harmony is a good idea. Do(es?) at least one of you know some music theory?

Edit: Parrot .
Ohai.

Actually from Canada.
Umm...One of us might? I know he was in high school marching band. I've got a basic grasp of music theory. The other two I know for sure don't have any theory knowledge.

Another question: Would it look 'lazy' if I didn't play an instrument for some songs? I'm the lead singer and my only complaint with singing and playing guitar is you are kinda busy and can't interact with the crowd as much. Thoughts?
If there are three guitarists, you guys need to know how to work together.

If you all plan on just blasting with heavy distortion and power chords, don't expect me to watch a whole set...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Don't worry. I can't stand the people who think 'music' and 'noise' are the same thing.
Slipknot are too many..

But they're getting there!

No, that was just bad..... R.I.P
Quote by Sandwich8080
Umm...One of us might? I know he was in high school marching band. I've got a basic grasp of music theory. The other two I know for sure don't have any theory knowledge.

Another question: Would it look 'lazy' if I didn't play an instrument for some songs? I'm the lead singer and my only complaint with singing and playing guitar is you are kinda busy and can't interact with the crowd as much. Thoughts?

It's just that harmony will require understanding of the major scale. Talk to your band about it.

Second question: Nope :P. It'd be a good idea for songs in fact, considering it'd put you at two guitarists! And you're right, you can interact better (or differently?) with the crowd if you only have to hold onto the mic!
Ohai.

Actually from Canada.
It's not too hard to learn how to harmonize a part though. Just play your solo one note up in the scale
love is love // return to dust
Ok. So I called up one of our guitarists. He knows how to harmonize and everything, so thats out of the water.

I believe I have one last question. Judging from your own gigs, is space going to be limited on stage? I'm afraid that I'm going to be bumping elbows with the other 3 standing musicians.
If you're the lead singer why don't you just focus on that? It will make writing songs easier because all you have to write for is a lead and rhythm. Plus you won't have to worry about having a wall of sound or it being too muddy.If you really want to play guitar that bad then maybe have a couple songs in the set where you do play, maybe play an acoustic for slower songs/ballads.
Five hasn't been a problem for me. If you all have large pedalboards, maybe :P. And cool about the harmonizing! Mr. Smith's idea is good though, just focusing on vocals.
Ohai.

Actually from Canada.
Although everyone points at x band and go "wow! they have 3 guitars so my band will sound awesome with them too", it simply doesn't work that way. Most bands with 3 guitarists are beginner bands, still in high school who needed to bring more friends into the band. At least two, or all three guitarists play the same thing making their respective roles pointless, and the sound muddy.

And if someone goes "3 part harmonies!", just remember that there's much more to the songs than just solos/riffs, and if you were to have harmonising lines through all chorus/verses of all songs, it would get boring, fast.

Just stick with two guitarists. As mentioned above.

Edit: Unless the guitar parts are properly arranged.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
When I said 'harmonize,' I meant the vocals. Great vocal harmonies usually makes for a great band.
As for the guitar situation, I suggest you pick up a Lynyrd Skynyrd best-of. No band has pulled that off better, if you ask me. But as Alan said, for beginners, it tends to get muddy. You said you just want to sing? Put down the guitar and focus on that.
Quote by Sandwich8080

Actually this would probably be the ideal situation, 100% of the time. As Alan said, I don't think 3 guitars is really gonna work out that well. Especially not in pop punk. 2 guitarists, a bassist, a lead singer, and a drummer is solid (you really do need a drummer). That's the line up Screeching Weasel used. Whereas 3 guitarists is bound to sound bad and fail, having a dedicated lead singer will open up a lot of options.
if you can compose for 3 guitars, keep all 3 of them, if you can't, tell 1 of them "learn drums or you're out" (in a nicer way tho). but u should know that pop-punk greenday-type bands wouldn't use that many guitars, they typically don't even have that much melody (other than vocals and an occassional solo). and don't be 1 of those lame musicians who have 3 guitarists playing basically the same thing, thats so unnecessarry, you have to actually have lead riffs/melodies/solos/licks, and then 1 guitar has to provide the harmony/chord progressions, and the other can either be 2nd lead or 2nd rhythm (it sounds easy, but 2nd rhythm is harder to compose for because 2 chords playing at once usually don't sound good, you would usually use 1 guitar playing open chords or low bar chords, and the other playing an octave higher).
as to the general question of how many is too many, its however many you can handle without losing control, but they should always be necessarry members (dont get a guy who plays the violin just because he wants to join, get him because you actually want a violin). its different depending on the bandleader and bandmembers. i've been in some pretty big bands and kept control pretty well, my brother on the other hand, got really frustrated and couldn't lead his old band catfish tango, which really only had 4 core-members, it was the extra 3 brass guys who messed it up. now he's in a 4-piece band called birdhouse, without the nonsense of those extra members and they're doing great. it depends both on your abilities as a bandleader and they're ability to cooperate.
Quote by Sandwich8080
I'm starting to form a band that I can really see as having potential. However, it seems that there are several people that seem to think the same thing. I wouldn't complain, but the count right now is... 3 singer/songwriter/guitarists, 1 bassist/possible singer, and zero drummers. Supposing I can find a drummer, that makes 5 of us. I understand a lot of bands have 5 members, but 3 guitar/singers seems a little overwhelming to me. We'd be playing pop-punk in the style of Green Day and similar bands. What's your opinion, UG?

Overkill.

To get three guitarists in a mix you all need to be good musicians with good timing, tuning, and most crucially a good sense of the different frequencies that make up the overall sound.
otherwise, it just turns to a midrangey mush - not in a cool, lo-fi 'wall of sound' way, just in a way that makes the music muddy and hard to follow.

With a style like pop punk there isn't usually a high enough level of musicianship to work with more than three or four members, I'd suggest keeping it raw and simple.
Ok. I'm dropping the guitar. I sat around last night and decided it 1. wasn't THAT important to me to play guitar and sing, and 2. Was going to ease things when it came to writing music. So we've got 1 lead vocalist, 2 guitars/backup vocalists, 1 bassist, and we might have a drummer now. I think that what we are going to do is that, when one of the three of us is singing lead, the other two will play guitar and backup. Thanks everyone!
for a talent show once in high school, me and about 9 other guitarist friends all played some classical song, but we changed it up and made it all "rock"y. I thought it sounded horrible, but everyone I talked to after liked it (or they were just being nice).

The point is, you don't really need to have a limit, as long as it still sounds good, and it doesn't cause any problems.
Quote by nbur4556
for a talent show once in high school, me and about 9 other guitarist friends all played some classical song, but we changed it up and made it all "rock"y. I thought it sounded horrible, but everyone I talked to after liked it (or they were just being nice).

The point is, you don't really need to have a limit, as long as it still sounds good, and it doesn't cause any problems.

They were probably just being nice. I'll place money on that.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well here's the deal. If you're gonan go for 3 guitars. Whatever you do, DO NOT get a keyboardist. In my experience bands with two guitars and keyboards already sound muddy live, so with guitars it will probably end up the same.

However a few pointers if you're really keen on doing this.

- 1 guitar could play clean chords. A trick often found in production of albums.

- 1 guitar could have an immense pedal board and could be your FX guitarist. Delay's/flangers/phasers you name it. But one FX guitarist would be enough.

- 2 guitars sound cool in poppunk becuz they often mix powerchords and openchords. Some heavy effects with a few notes (see above) could add to the ambiance

- Some faster leads in harmony can be an immense hook. A three-way harmony can bee seen as just playing chords really fast. However, this will require some training.

-Obviously, there is no point in singingover massive hooks like that, for it will be way to overkill and muddy

- As for vocals, check out everybodies voice. Don't claim songs but switch it up. Making the point of attention kind of chaotic but that can be done right. Also, if 3 guys like to sing, A unison chant here and there can be utterly awesome.

Well these are some pointers. Hope it helps.