okay, i just watched this movie...i dont get it! Can someone help me understand this movie? i just dont get the ending...
I haven't seen it in a while, doesn't he come into contact with some type of God figure or become one?
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Quote by blue_strat
I haven't seen it at all!

What's going on

you should watch it...but its weird
I thought this movie was pretty awful. I'll openly admit to being too stupid to get it. It didn't really have a plot, as far as i could tell.
It brings back the monolith part from the beginning and on the moon (I believe).

Spoilers:

At Jupiter, Bowman leaves Discovery One in an EVA pod and finds another monolith in orbit around the planet. Approaching it, he finds himself suddenly traveling through a tunnel of colored light (termed the “Star Gate” in the novel by Clarke) racing at great speed across vast distances of space, viewing strange astronomical phenomena interspersed with shots of a terrified Bowman, concluding with landscapes with altered colors. Bowman eventually finds himself in a bedroom containing Louis XVI-style decor. The astronaut repeatedly sees older versions of himself, with the film's points of view each time switching to the older Bowman. Finally an elderly and dying Bowman is lying on the bed. At its foot a monolith appears. He points at the monolith, which transforms Bowman into a fetus-like being enclosed in a transparent orb of light (termed the “Star-Child” in the novel by Clarke). The final shot shows the fetus floating in space next to the Earth.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
The ending is about the future of human evolution. The monolith is a catalyst for evolution, as well as some sort of star gate. Anywho, Bowman enters the monolith and evolves into a "star child", which is supposed to represent the next step in human evolution.

But yeah, 2001 is a super kickass movie, and I generally hate sci fi

EDIT: Damn, I was beaten to it
Quote by element4433
It brings back the monolith part from the beginning and on the moon (I believe).

Spoilers:

that was a good explanation,,,, what is a star child though?
Quote by CheesePopcorn
that was a good explanation,,,, what is a star child though?
It has to do with human evolution.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Well the bowman guy goes through the gate and he evolves into some higher being. There is a sequel which makes thing a little more clear.

Any ways the monoliths are created by some sort of race which evolved long ago. The monoliths help create evolution as well as new life. They are like some sort of drones super computer god thingys..

At some point in the sequel millions of monoliths fly into Jupiter and increase its mass so much it becomes a star. One of the moons of Jupiter then begins to evolve and becomes a new earth like planet with its own intelligent life evolving on it.

A message is then sent to earth basically saying don't f*ck with this new planet.
Quote by CheesePopcorn
so wtf does the HAL have to do with this movie lol

In a way HAL represents the possible problems of technology. The crew members put so much faith in HAL to keep them alive and the mission on task, that they don't realize that even machines can make errors or malfunction. Also in 2010, HAL joins Bowman inside the monolith, which may suggest that Clarke believes that there may be a day when computers/machines will have some sort of soul or free will. I could be wrong though
Last edited by hildesaw at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by CheesePopcorn

HAL Malfunctions for some reason...im not sure if it has anything to do with the main plot..
Me and my Dad watched this once. Turned it off after an hour or so (when that computer thing starts going a bit weird). It was utter, utter shite.
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by dark&broken
http://www.kubrick2001.com/

4-part flash video explaining what everything means throughout the movie.

Enjoy.
Bookmarked. Will watch when I have some time.
Quote by CheesePopcorn
Technology vs humanity

I haven't read any of the books, so everything about the movie I've thought of myself. I saw HAL as a potential next step of the evolution process. HAL and Bowman fight it out; Bowman wins so humans gained the right to evolve at the Jupiter monolith.

I could be 100% wrong though.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

All I understood of it was it had one of the most epic openings to something ever.
^IMO

Remember Reach

Soulsilver FC 1505 8079 2846
They should make a movie for 2061. They could make it pretty fantastic if they got good actors and don't try to make it overly accessible to everyone.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
You spelled "Odyssey" wrong, you cunt.

LMAO, i didnt even notice ha ha