Hey everyone, I'm sort of a new bass player and I just wanted some help with how I should have my EQ/Tone set up for just general playing. I don't know how everyone gets that nice deep - clean tone that sounds really professional. I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me out with what I need to do. I have and Ampeg BA-115 amp if that helps at all.
Actually the tone comes from your playing, especially if you play finger style. Just keep practicing your playing and dont turn your knobs all the way up or all the way down, you'll get a ear for what you want with the time.
IMO you should turn down high and mids quite a bit and bass up =)
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
here is my tone, i play with a pick so this may have alittle bit too much bass for finger tone.
Bass - 11
Mid - 9
Treb - 3
'drive' - 6
tone - 3 o'clock
using top pickup only

for finger style do somthin like
Bass - 9
Mid - 7
Treb - 4/5
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
A lot of it has to do with different basses, techniques, and even acoustics of the room you're in. The same EQ on two different setups could sound entirely different.

I'll post my current EQ, it may help (I use a BA-115 as well, with an Ibanez BTB200):

I used to have it set up with the bass at 8, the mids at 6.5 and the treble at 5. I liked how it sounded and it got loud but there were a few things that were weird about it. It didn't work very well in a band setting because it was too much bass and not enough mids (the bass was so high it was booming and deep when I played alone, but didn't cut through when I played with other people). I messed with the EQ a bit about a month ago and ended up with the bass at only 5, the mids a bit higher at 7, and the treble at 3.5 (comparison below):

Treble: 5 - 3.5
Mid: 6.5 - 7
Bass: 8 - 5

I really liked the sound, because it was punchy and full, but it also cut through the mix when playing with other people. If you look at it, the knobs as a whole are a lot lower, so you'd imagine that I'd get less volume out of it, but the thing is that in my previous EQ, the bass was so high that the amp started to peak clip when the volume knob was at only around 4 or 5. The new EQ made the point where it peak clipped at a more natural place (I can put the volume knob all the way up and it barely clips).

Hopefully that little rant about my EQ helps you a bit.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 22, 2010,
a mexican jazz and a 1962 kay sg bass. i currently don't have an amp but after wanting to get back into bass i've been looking for either an ashdown head or a fender bassman.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Quote by forstringwonder
a mexican jazz and a 1962 kay sg bass. i currently don't have an amp but after wanting to get back into bass i've been looking for either an ashdown head or a fender bassman.
Well without an amp, there's really not much you can do.
-Chick Corea
that goes without saying. i don't need an amp to think of a possible eq setting.

to me it kind of sounds like a p bass with the lower mids out and the gain/highs up. but it has that extra grit and voicing that i can't place my finger on.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Last edited by forstringwonder at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by forstringwonder
that goes without saying. i don't need an amp to think of a possible eq setting.

to me it kind of sounds like a p bass with the lower mids out and the gain/highs up. but it has that extra grit and voicing that i can't place my finger on.
Sounds just like an overdriven SVT to me.

You're right about the EQ. Likely boosted upper-mids/treble and maybe cut lower-mids/bass a bit.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 23, 2010,