Page 1 of 2
Hey UG,

I was wondering if all the notes of a chord (lets say an open possition C chord but it could be any other situation where you have lots of strings ringing out the same time) ringing out clearly WITH distortion (fairly high gain) is more a characteristic of the guitar or the amp?

In any case which parts (either of the guitar or the amp) contribute the most?

P.S. Let's imagine that both the guitar and the amp are technically sound and of rather high quality.
Quote by Roc8995
Kirk Hammett should just build a wah into his goddam shoes.

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
IMO they all work together.

You could have a bad ass guitar with 10000.00 PU's but if your amp sucks...the sound will suck.

Or vise versa.

A good amp and good PU's would be my guess as to what would get you a good distorted ringing chord to sound good.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Amp. A guitar will help with this, but generally its the amp. This, in my experience anyway, is the difference between good amps and great amps. Turn down the gain some and it will help though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
There's a reason why people don't use distortion with major/minor chords, or any chords composed of something more than the root and one more note. triads on a well tune guitar work, too.

There's a fair amount of dissonance! The tempered tuning of the guitar does not lend itself well to having every note ring out clearly with distortion.
It will get pretty muddied playing full chords with distortion. Really I don't see why not just stick to power chords and triads. That's what I've always been taught anyhow.
The amp would handle most of the clarity, but if you aren't fingering the chord correctly it won't be clear either.
I'd say it comes from both also, mostly from the amp, but the guitar itself would have to be bright enough and everything... I can't imagine someone strumming chords with a strat in a jcm800 and not being able to make out the strings... to me, having single coils help though
Quote by NemX162
It will get pretty muddied playing full chords with distortion. Really I don't see why not just stick to power chords and triads. That's what I've always been taught anyhow.

Because some people want to play other things, their own stuff etc. Not just jam power chords.
i'd say the following factors are important:

The tonewood of the guitar (as some wood are more clear and focused, while others are more boomy and less "tight")

The pickups on the guitar (this one is obvious.) If you're looking for which pickups to take, I'd go for the Bare Knuckle Miracle man. Also, I believe ceramic magnet pickups are more focused (but also colder) than Alnico magnets.

The amount of high mids in the amp setting. Scooping muddies up the tone, while more mids, especially high mids, give more clearness to the tone.

Also too much bass muddies up everything as well. So the whole way you EQ your amp is important to the sound and clearness of your playing!

I'm not an expert on this, but I'm pretty sure this is right. Speaking only from experience, and what I've learned myself through reading stuff on forums

EDIT:
Also, too much gain makes individual notes inaudible.
Look at some of Bulb AKA Misha Mansoors work for examples of nice tone and ZERO muddiness even though he uses some ****ed up chords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KgnPEdRRxE
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Last edited by Eskil Rask at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by WtrPlyr
Because some people want to play other things, their own stuff etc. Not just jam power chords.

What? Nonsense. Green Day became famous with just power chords.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
What? Nonsense. Green Day became famous with just power chords.

There's a difference between writing good music and being famous.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by Eskil Rask

Is there? Is there a difference between being good at your job and being paid well for your job? Is there a difference between fostering meaningful relationships with women and just sleeping with hot chicks? Is there a difference between landing on the moon and shooting a 'moon landing' in a studio?

I think not.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Is there? Is there a difference between being good at your job and being paid well for your job? Is there a difference between fostering meaningful relationships with women and just sleeping with hot chicks? Is there a difference between landing on the moon and shooting a 'moon landing' in a studio?

I think not.

Oh, I guess we agree then.
Buy a VHT.

Done.

The amp is where it starts...if the amp is muddy to start with, your pickups aren't going to fix it to a degree that makes a worthwhile difference.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
arpeggiating big chords while letting every note ring out can sound really beautiful with dark chords on high gain distortion. It creates a sort of emotional fade thing which can be used to tell a story along those lines. It will not sound clear, but its cool when used correctly.
Quote by no.mop
Buy a VHT.

Done.

The amp is where it starts...if the amp is muddy to start with, your pickups aren't going to fix it to a degree that makes a worthwhile difference.

Read the OP again, bottom line:
P.S. Let's imagine that both the guitar and the amp are technically sound and of rather high quality.

That means, you have high end amp and a high end guitar .. which elements contribute most to the clearness of the tone. Not which amp to get or which is most important, amp or guitar. Everybody knows the two go hand in hand.
Quote by Eskil Rask

Case in point, most of the music produced since 1990.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
if you have a high end amp, high end guitar, high end pickups..
and the amp is voiced right.

you wouldn't be having the problem in the first place
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
to the op-

pickups- clean pickups as opposed to say a dimarzio super distortion

the amp-tubes make a difference too. tung-sol tubes have more gain than ruby for instance.

speakers-some speakers are clearer sounding than others.

it's a combination of things.
Quote by WtrPlyr

I wasn't discouraging use of real chords. I was just talking about with crazy distortion. And I didn't say just power chords. I said triads as well, since just 3 notes can come through pretty sharp.
I think open chords sound cool with a lot of gain,it adds a different effect...I've found active pickups help out in adding clearlity to chords with gain...I don't use actives anymore though for a totally different reason not related to this thread....just my 2 cents
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Last edited by rdobson2 at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
There's a reason why people don't use distortion with major/minor chords, or any chords composed of something more than the root and one more note. triads on a well tune guitar work, too.

What, loads of people, including myself, use distortion on major and minor chords, and certainly play more than two notes at a time with distortion.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I know there arn't rules obviously, I was just saying that a lot of people do it.

I also like it.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by Eskil Rask
Read the OP again, bottom line:

That means, you have high end amp and a high end guitar .. which elements contribute most to the clearness of the tone. Not which amp to get or which is most important, amp or guitar. Everybody knows the two go hand in hand.

Okay. Amp contributes the most by far to the clarity of the notes. I was playing my piece of crap Peavey Raptor today through my Deliverance. I could hear every note and I know the Peavey has terrible pickups. I couldn't make a Recto or a 5150 do the same, even with a better guitar and a better set of pickups.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

well the deliverance is probably the best amp for diming the gain and playing open chords.
Quote by AcousticMirror
well the deliverance is probably the best amp for diming the gain and playing open chords.

I really want a UL. But the Deliverance will do very well for now.

BTW I think I'm going to get an Egnater Tweaker 112 mini-stack.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

suiit yourself. i like that amp. it's good for practicing and university and whatnot. but you're gonna miss the hell out of the d120.
And I don't even dime the gain; I barely ever have it over 2:00 on each knob on More.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Quote by AcousticMirror
suiit yourself. i like that amp. it's good for practicing and university and whatnot. but you're gonna miss the hell out of the d120.

I will. So much.

But I'll have it plus a TS808-modded TS7, so that should bring me any broots that I need.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

And when I graduate, I'll give myself a UL half-stack as a present and so I'll have the VHT/Fryette cab to run for both the UL and the D120.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Or maybe a CLX... I desperately don't want to pay for a 4-KT88 retube.

Anyways, drinking and internets should be banned. It's really bad for you.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Quote by tubetime86

I think not.

I have known LOTS of well paid people that were totally useless at their job. People get promoted to their level of incompetence. Money != quality
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^Quadruple post FTW! (no.mop not Cathbard )

As forsaknazrael said, tempered tuning doesnt help. Make sure you're intonation is right, and even better (if you dont have a Floyd) get a compensated nut, that will get the intonation even better on the lower frets, and chords will ring out in tune. It really does make a difference.
Quote by littlephil
^Quadruple post FTW! (no.mop not Cathbard )

As forsaknazrael said, tempered tuning doesnt help. Make sure you're intonation is right, and even better (if you dont have a Floyd) get a compensated nut, that will get the intonation even better on the lower frets, and chords will ring out in tune. It really does make a difference.

Like I said: drinking and internets is about as bad as drinking and driving.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

I would have to say that it's mostly in the hands. How you hit the chord softly, or take out the 5th to give the other notes more room.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I would have to say that it's mostly in the hands. How you hit the chord softly, or take out the 5th to give the other notes more room.

They way that individual notes ring out with distortion has almost nothing to do with the hands.

It has to do with the distortion.

I.E. the amp, or to a lesser extent, the pickups.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Page 1 of 2