Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask why everyone has or wants a RG550 (not the anniversary version), whats so great about it that everyone wants it? How is it better than the anniversary edition or the new RG350 which is very similar?

Thanks
the 350 isn't really similar at all. the 550 has the original edge trem (excellent), and is made in japan to a pretty high standard, plus it's pretty cheap (ok, the anniversary edition isn't, but you know what i mean. and it was also a lot cheaper before the pound, euro and dollar depreciated a lot against the yen).

Basically, it's a pro-level guitar for a fairly cheap price (considering what you're getting). Not everyone likes them, of course, a lot of people dislike really thin necks and basswood.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the 550 was basically the prestige of it's day (and still is on par with those prestige models they're making today). made in japan, but can be had for significantly less than what they're charging for the new models. plus it's got the original edge, which is the best trem bridge out there, in my opinion. and for some reason the older models seem to just play better than the newer ones. might be something you'd never notice, or something that could be fixed with a good setup, but thats my experience. if you've got a chance to pick one up then definitely give it a try!

they'll blow a stock 350 out of the water too, by the way
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Awesome, I really like Ibanez RG's. I really want to try one but where? :C The only place they are sold are used guitar stores and my local stores do not have any. Thats funny that you say "They just play better." because Ive heard that several times lol.
Quote by NEX44
Awesome, I really like Ibanez RG's. I really want to try one but where? :C The only place they are sold are used guitar stores and my local stores do not have any. Thats funny that you say "They just play better." because Ive heard that several times lol.

You can't get them anymore. They stopped making them a while ago. The Prestiges the new high-end Ibanez and they're actually better quality than the older ones. The older ones had a Super Wizard neck but they didn't offer that on Prestiges until last year. But with Prestiges they have 1xxx, 2xxx, and 3xxx. The x's refer to the number it had in the pre-Prestige period. So the RG1550 is the modern RG550. But they don't have the Super Wizard until you get to the 3xxxs. But price is the main thing people are looking at in the RG550s. You can also get the Original Edge Trem in JEM505.
Remember you dont have to limit yourself to the RG550. RG1550s, RG1570s, 2550s etc etc are good as well.
I've owned an RG550 since new for nearly 20 years. It gets gigged every week (done over a thousand gigs on it), it has been dropped, had beer spilled over it thanks to drunken punters, been sweated on....

It has only needed setting up twice, the neck has never needed adjustment, I can tune it up before a gig and it stays in tune all gig, the neck is fantastic... it just keeps going. THAT is why RG550s are so sought after.

The only downside is the stock Ibanez pickups weren't much chop, so I replaced them with Dimarzios (but kept the original single coil).
its about the difference between a toddler tricycle and a tour de france bike in terms of speeding

RG570, the cheaper brother to the 570 since apparently the pickguard is in high demand.everything else minus the maple fretboard is the same
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
the 550 was basically the prestige of it's day (and still is on par with those prestige models they're making today). made in japan, but can be had for significantly less than what they're charging for the new models. plus it's got the original edge, which is the best trem bridge out there, in my opinion. and for some reason the older models seem to just play better than the newer ones. might be something you'd never notice, or something that could be fixed with a good setup, but thats my experience. if you've got a chance to pick one up then definitely give it a try!

they'll blow a stock 350 out of the water too, by the way

Bolded part pretty much. Ibanez's RG550 was basically a JEM without the flashy details and the Dimarzios. Besides that, it's the same guitar. Then Ibanez converted these RGs into the Prestige Series as years went by for a higher cost while keeping the JEM as an even more expensive model due to changes in the instrument industry. Then the budget models came into existence which are mass-produced products (worse than anything Ibanez made in Japan back in the day), but every manufacturer should have their low/mid/high ends products to profit from every client scenario basically. Basically as stated above, the prestige series is your way to experience top quality like instruments from Ibanez but you'll be spending over a thousand for that.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Last edited by RR787 at Jul 21, 2010,
Well it sounds amazing! Can someone tell me the original specs of the guitar? Like the name for the trem and neck? Because people keep talking about its "Wizard Neck" and I just found a couple with "wizard AANJ with babinga stripe" is that a custom neck? And does it matter what year it was made? This one is from 2000. When did they discontinue the model?
Quote by NEX44
Well it sounds amazing! Can someone tell me the original specs of the guitar? Like the name for the trem and neck? Because people keep talking about its "Wizard Neck" and I just found a couple with "wizard AANJ with babinga stripe" is that a custom neck? And does it matter what year it was made? This one is from 2000. When did they discontinue the model?

AANJ is the All Access Neck Joint - you'd know it to see it, but I don't feel like gettting a picture right now. Babinga stripe would, I think, refer to the skunk stripe used to put the truss rod in. I think this is a standard neck, but I think there were some the didn't have the skunk stripe and were instead two piece necks.

Trem would be an Original Edge or Edge Pro, I think.

E: This is all IIRC.
The most obvious (and not mentioned yet) reason is the neck joint.

when you hear about legendary 550's it's not the one with the super wizard, aka the "aank" (all access neck joint)

The original 550s until 94 had a wizard neck (not super wizard) with a block heel joint. It makes it a bit harder to reach 24 frets but the sustain is strong and tone much thicker because of the mass of the wood to body contact.

Also, the original wizard neck is the thinnest known to man - which also is a reason why it CAN have some problems with cracking. This neck does NOT have Babinga reforcement - if it does, it's not the famous RG550 neck you hear of.

I've owned my 87 rg550 with a block heel for three years, the neck is strait as an arrow - I just keep it in flat tuning just in case.

The original edge tremolo is one of the greatest tremolos known to be made.

I've never been a fan of any ibanez past 94, unless you get into the JEM series.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Jul 22, 2010,