Hey I'm not to good with musical theory well... at all so I'm wondering how I could make the E work with an F# chord progression (I just like the sound?) if it was

E G# A B C#

Since E isn't in the scale maybe theres some other scale I can use? I just wanna have "popish" riffs over it like if it was G-C-D I'd just make G major scale melodies over it but with this when the E comes around it sounds wrong. I'm probably wording this wrong but maybe you can help me with this. Thanks in advance!
TL-DR How can I make E work with the F# major scale or suggest something else
If it's F sharp minor the E is the leading tone and should work fine.

guess i got in after the second post :/ my bad then mate I can't help ya
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Last edited by diofan88 at Jul 20, 2010,
perhaps i dont really get what you are saying, the E wont sound good no matter what, since it should be an E#...
I'll try what the second guy said but yeah I don't even know what I'm trying to say
I just realized... why don't I play it in E

(E) F# (G#) (A) (B) (C# minor) D# (E)

I'm retarted thanks anyways
The Beatles used the bVII a lot. You'll be leaving the F# key, technically, but who cares?
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by diofan88
If it's F sharp minor the E is the leading tone and should work fine.

guess i got in after the second post :/ my bad then mate I can't help ya

no, E is not the leading tone of F#. minor or major is irrelevant -- the leading tone of F# is E#. E is called the subtonic in F#. all the other names are always static (tonic, dominant, mediant, etc.) but the seventh changes depending on whether it's the 7 or the b7. a 7 is a leading tone, a b7 is a subtonic.

in a progression in F# major, borrowing an Emaj chord from the parallel minor is fairly common.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by daytonj
Hey I'm not to good with musical theory well... at all so I'm wondering how I could make the E work with an F# chord progression (I just like the sound?) if it was

E G# A B C#

Since E isn't in the scale maybe theres some other scale I can use? I just wanna have "popish" riffs over it like if it was G-C-D I'd just make G major scale melodies over it but with this when the E comes around it sounds wrong. I'm probably wording this wrong but maybe you can help me with this. Thanks in advance!

when the E comes up, follow it, play some notes from the E chord and it will come out fine
Yeah, it's called a bVII. The song No Rain by Blind Melon does this exact thing in the key of E. The progression is E - D. Simple as that -- I - bVII. No need to "make it work" when it already does
i don't know why i feel so dry