View poll results: Keyboards in metal?
Absolutely possible
61 94%
Don't ruin metal
4 6%
Voters: 65.
Page 1 of 2
Hello,

I've had many discussion about this; weither keyboards fit within metal or not. Personnally I think it's up to the music rather they fit in or not. There are awesome bands using keyboards, and there are amazing bands without.
What do you think of it?!
Arcturus.

Pianos and harpsichords ftw!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
CoB loolololol
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Vasaeleth have a great usage of keyboards!The Amenta use them in a cool way as well.

I think it's good when done right,most bands with keyboards that suck would still be just as bad without the keyboards(COB,Dream Theater,Dimmu Borgir ect)
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Too many bands to mention.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Horizontal
Attack Attack uses a keyboard (Caleb Shomo, lol, Shomo). And Attack Attack is heavy metal. Children of Bodom uses a keyboard as well, so yes, I do think it belongs in Heavy Metal.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468008

Read that if you have further questions revolving around keyboards in Metal.

and to be on point, i dont think there should be instrumental discrimination in genres of music. if anything i think they sound real shitty nowadays, sounds out of place, too clean and pingy. Deep Purple had an Organ hooked up to a Marshall and sounded killer as did a lot of early metal bands
Last edited by BlitzkriegAir at Jul 20, 2010,
I love it when keyboards are used in metal, I have a keyboardist in my own band.

In my opinion, it sounds best in speed metal, prog metal, and melo-death.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by Horizontal
Attack Attack uses a keyboard (Caleb Shomo, lol, Shomo). And Attack Attack is heavy metal. Children of Bodom uses a keyboard as well, so yes, I do think it belongs in Heavy Metal.

lol
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
They can add a nice atmosphere - of course, keyboards aren't necessary for atmosphere. But I like ma' layers.
Quote by Horizontal

Attack Attack are crabcore..........no but their not metal.Scenecore basically.

s everyone just on a different planet here Dream theater????? :[ im ashamed.

Most of us like music with some substance to it,though many fellate them here.
Quote by Steve08

Last edited by Riffmast at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by Glenn Guitar
Is everyone just on a different planet here

Dream theater?????
:[ im ashamed.

Thats ok, id be ashamed if I listened to Dream Theater as well.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Glenn Guitar
Is everyone just on a different planet here

Dream theater?????
:[ im ashamed.
Maybe if Jordan Rudess did anything else other than cheesy videogame keyboard solos someone would mention him.
Quote by Stranglehold
Thats ok, id be ashamed if I listened to Dream Theater as well.

When did this turn into a Dream Theater Flame Thread? As far as I'm concerned Dream theater are phenomenal musicians. They're a a little unconventional yes but that's why it's taken them as long as it has to get to where they are now (Probably longer than most of you have been alive).

Ridiculously Skilled Musicians
Unconventional (Taken big risk playing like they do 19 minute songs and such) and made it work.
Hard working. (Been at it for more than 20 years.)

So far I don't think they're is anything to flame about. Unless of course you think you can do better? You can't and you won't with that attitude.

Deep down you know they're good but its just cool to you to knock them down cause that what everyone else thinks. Dream Theater is Unique, You however are not.

Dream Theaters Hard work and Dedication to their music, can't be denied and it shows in what they release.
Quote by Crimzin3
When did this turn into a Dream Theater Flame Thread? As far as I'm concerned Dream theater are phenomenal musicians. They're a a little unconventional yes but that's why it's taken them as long as it has to get to where they are now (Probably longer than most of you have been alive).

Ridiculously Skilled Musicians
Unconventional (Taken big risk playing like they do 19 minute songs and such) and made it work.
Hard working. (Been at it for more than 20 years.)

So far I don't think they're is anything to flame about. Unless of course you think you can do better? You can't and you won't with that attitude.

Deep down you know they're good but its just cool to you to knock them down cause that what everyone else thinks. Dream Theater is Unique, You however are not.

Dream Theaters Hard work and Dedication to their music, can't be denied and it shows in what they release.

Amazing how you can say all that with the cocks of then entire band firmly in your mouth. Learn to not get butthurt when your favourite band gets a bit of a slagging, you mongo.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Steve08
Maybe if Jordan Rudess did anything else other than cheesy videogame keyboard solos someone would mention him.

Rudess uses alot of Synthesizers Which create Waveform sounds in 8 bit or 16 bit formats...so do video games(8bit NES, 16bit SNES) , Does that mean nobody can use them? it works for him so why not? He also does alot of classical piano work outside of Dream Theater, Maybe you could try looking it up.
Do you just trawl message boards looking for chances to wax idiotic about Dream Theater?
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold

Amazing how you can say all that with the cocks of then entire band firmly in your mouth. Learn to not get butthurt when your favourite band gets a bit of a slagging, you mongo.

It's amazing to me how you can say I'm the one getting "butthurt" and calling me a "mongo" when apparently you're 12 years old...I wasn't getting upset it's called intelligent conversation and debate, you gave your opinion and I gave you mine..You're the one who had to turn to names you slack jawed drool factory.
Dream theater cant even play those keyboards, they just mime on stage. Its actually Robert Goulet on vocals, and Prince playing all instruments.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
I love dream theater as much as the next guy, but you have to admit, JR doesn't play to the full of his potential with them. Though on the new album he does seem to do some pretty interesting stuff, like the soundscapey stuff on TCoT
All I'm saying is they at least deserve alittle respect for what they've accomplished. You couldn't do what they've done and not just them, any band with world wide success. No one's playing you're out of tune riffs on youtube, You inspire no one. Knocking down a band that is better than you (I guarantee that) just makes you look like a moron. It's fine if they're not your cup of tea. When iron maiden asks you to be their opening band then I'll take it back. That's all.
Quote by Stranglehold
Dream theater cant even play those keyboards, they just mime on stage. Its actually Robert Goulet on vocals, and Prince playing all instruments.

Prince wouldn't play anything for dream theater lol he's too busy trying to push his CD's on the street corners like crack, cause the internet is apparently on its way out. Ironically just like Prince has been for the last 15 years.
Quote by Crimzin3
All I'm saying is they at least deserve alittle respect for what they've accomplished. You couldn't do what they've done and not just them, any band with world wide success. No one's playing you're out of tune riffs on youtube, You inspire no one. Knocking down a band that is better than you (I guarantee that) just makes you look like a moron. It's fine if they're not your cup of tea. When iron maiden asks you to be their opening band then I'll take it back. That's all.

You mean im not going to be famous like dream theater?....but...but...I played so many riffs on youtube! And no, Dream Theater is not better than me. Can dream theater put a finger up a girls pink AND stink and eat a bag of Doritos with the other hand? I doubt it somehow. No band can. Except maybe Barbatos.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Keth
Britney Spears is more successful than DT.

So she's a better musician.

Just sayin'.

lol nice trolling...I'm not saying success = musical ability. They've brought alot of musical concepts closer to the mainstream which will open the doors for alot of new, interesting exciting music to come in the future. They're not the greatest band in the world but they've made a huge contribution to music.
Quote by Stranglehold
You mean im not going to be famous like dream theater?....but...but...I played so many riffs on youtube! And no, Dream Theater is not better than me. Can dream theater put a finger up a girls pink AND stink and eat a bag of Doritos with the other hand? I doubt it somehow. No band can. Except maybe Barbatos.

You won't be famous like Dream Theater because you're ignorant and close minded. You already think you're greater than a band that's been at it for 20+ years, so where is your motivation to get better? you won't.

As for the last comment maybe they can't...I think they might prefer Lays.
Stranglehold

Sorry, didn't realize you spent your life on UG talking about music with your finger up your ass. Instead of actually playing music and doing something. I don't post often cause I don't need reassurance from other cavemen that I'm good. I prefer public opinion.
I don't really like Dream Theater but I still go to their shows so I can listen to the amazing conversations their fans have in the queues
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I like when keyboards are incorporated for ambience or certain melodic parts, but the drums, guitar, bass and vocals should always be the dominant instruments...

But that's just my opinion.

Check out In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Engel and so on
Crimzin3, are you really John Petrucci in disguise? It does sound like something hed post...I dont think Ive ever nagged someone this much online

Have a wank to a Dream Theater dvd to calm down mate, triple posting is serious shit.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Jordan Rudess originally shaved his head to try and be like Britney

True story
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Crimzin3
lol nice trolling...I'm not saying success = musical ability. They've brought alot of musical concepts closer to the mainstream which will open the doors for alot of new, interesting exciting music to come in the future. They're not the greatest band in the world but they've made a huge contribution to music.

I've yet to hear any interesting musical concepts from them, they all have really poor phrasing and song writing skills(you need to have some actual vision in your music to pull off a 19 minute song). Not to mention that nothing they do is very unique at all,they just kind of throw a bunch of influences together incoherently, have some jam band wank solos,take generic nu metal riffs and add or take off a few notes to change the time signature and just all together have a very bland and uninspired vision that never really gets past displays of musical technicality and proficiency.Not to mention all they bands they have inspired have just made even more watered down gibberish.Basically Dream Theater is just a terrible and overrated bunch of wankers,who should of stuck to teaching students rather then attempting creativity. They have musical ability,but the execution just makes it fail.I would rather listen to a band who makes their own sound and do something interesting rather then just technical.
Quote by Steve08

Man, you do realise this guy is going to call to your house and eat you for saying that, right? He means business. And DT are serious business.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Riffmast
I've yet to hear any interesting musical concepts from them, they all have really poor phrasing and song writing skills(you need to have some actual vision in your music to pull off a 19 minute song). Not to mention that nothing they do is very unique at all,they just kind of throw a bunch of influences together incoherently, have some jam band wank solos,take generic nu metal riffs and add or take off a few notes to change the time signature and just all together have a very bland and uninspired vision that never really gets past displays of musical technicality and proficiency.Not to mention all they bands they have inspired have just made even more watered down gibberish.Basically Dream Theater is just a terrible and overrated bunch of wankers,who should of stuck to teaching students rather then attempting creativity. They have musical ability,but the execution just makes it fail.I would rather listen to a band who makes their own sound and do something interesting rather then just technical.

ok, lets have a bit of balance here. The way you describe them leads me to believe you have never listened to anything but the singles from the albums, and the way the other dude describes them they are gods amongst men.
They are good at what they do. They have some great songs, they have some poor songs. end of.
dream theatre is boring and makes very poor use of keyboards as far as creating atmosphere and feeling. If I wanted wank keyboards solos I'd listen to COB.
blablablablabla ITT dream theater bashing all you like.

Keyboards are great for ambience in metal, as well as duet's with the guitar ala CoB or just synth solo's in general, or as a background melody thing.

Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands, they're great.
Page 1 of 2